2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Clarke ended his domination in the Summit Series with the slash, but he didn’t end his career. Kharlamov played 9 more seasons of dominant hockey.
He had 1 more season after that where he was the points leader. Some seasons he dropped quite low given his talent.

9 seasons of good hockey maybe.

Also learned his last year he played with Makarov.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
tbh he does look really, really good, and at that size..... it's a no brainer in terms of translation to the NHL.

Smith may have a higher ceilling in terms of points but IMO Carlsson is the one to pick before Smith.

5 on 5 Carlsson would eat Smith's production for lunch.. not to mention the rest of his game.

If a team takes Smith over Carlsson. I can't get into that headspace.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'd question if those teams watched him play.

He's the best fit at center of that entire group with his puck handling, zone exit and entry ability, his natural playmaking ability and range.
We’ll see, while I agree he has the traits you’d want in a center, I’ve followed the draft long enough to know that doesn’t always mean they end up at center.

It sure smells like a Dvorsky name bar has already been made.

Leonard is the 2nd whiff I’m getting.
Could see that. Both guys are very good all around players with great shots who’d fit our group beautifully.

5 on 5 Carlsson would eat Smith's production for lunch.. not to mention the rest of his game.

If a team takes Smith over Carlsson. I can't get into that headspace.
I think the best argument would be for an American team from a marketing department. There absolutely is a desire for American teams to have American stars.

Reactions: WinterLion

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Agreed. One team will jump at the opportunity to take the top defenceman in the draft. This will create a domino effect and another team will panic and take the 2nd best one. There’s not a lot of them rated in the 1st round so teams will overdraft them.
I could see Reinbacher benefiting from a strong performance at the Worlds. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting picked 4th or 5th, and then ASP sneaks into the top 10.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Carlsson at 5th would be a godsend.

If Michkov is still on the board at 5,6,7 and Carlsson is gone that would be my pick and I would argue it has to be ours too.

Yet I'm expecting Dvorsky and there are worse things in life.....

PS: Lottery please.....

I'm sure you've seen a lot of the recent highlights from U18, but yeah, Dvorsky looks pretty good... very good overall hockey IQ in all zones, with a decent offensive touch, and size.

Reactions: MtlSars

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I could see Reinbacher benefiting from a strong performance at the Worlds. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting picked 4th or 5th, and then ASP sneaks into the top 10.
Defenders tend to rise as the draft approaches, teams love to reach for need despite what they say… just hope we aren’t the team who falls into that trap.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
I'm sure you've seen a lot of the recent highlights from U18, but yeah, Dvorsky looks pretty good... very good overall hockey IQ in all zones, with a decent offensive touch, and size.
He's a surefire NHLer with a great shot, decent hands and skating, size and a lot of good intangibles.

Again I can live with that pick, he just projects as a solid 2nd C. I personally would prefer the chance of getting the next Pavel Bure of scoring Russian phenom capable of 90/100 pts and beyond.

Easy for me to say, might be a lot tougher to make that decision for a management group that rebuilds the Habs....

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I gotta stop falling in love with prospects.. the only time it worked out was when Caufield inexplicably dropped.

Carlsson got out of our range so I fell in love with Smith and now he's out of range.

Fuark
I've accepted that unless Washington ends up at 2, the top 4 are Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith in either order and that assuming we stay at 5 to 7, we not taking Michkov.

Looking more and more like Dvorsky, Leonard, Reinbacher as our 5, 6, and 7s

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Benson/Leonard/Dvorsky

Pretty happy with that, if we don’t win lottery, of course.
Nice to see youre on the Benson bandwagon, we can finally agree on something 😂.
This draft would be a lot more fun if we hadn't resigned Allen, Monty hadn't discovered the horseshoe up his butt, and we traded Anderson at the deadline for another 1st.
Amen. No reasons to keep Allen. Shouldve been flipped for a late 1st before resigning and Andy too.

Just a better offensive player.

How? What skill does he have that is better than Carlsson? Hands? No. Puck handling? No. Passing? No. Shot? No. Skating? Hell no. Size ? Lol. Physicality ? Baba-bouy.

Carlsson is litetally Smith if Smith had taken the super serum soldier and was raised by Alfred Pennyworth.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Picking Michkov would be the very definition of high risk/high reward.
If he comes over, he might be the missing piece to becoming a serious contender.
If he doesn't come over, that might kill off this rebuild and we return to the bubble team purgatory.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I gotta stop falling in love with prospects.. the only time it worked out was when Caufield inexplicably dropped.

Carlsson got out of our range so I fell in love with Smith and now he's out of range.

Fuark
I remember falling in love with Kyle Connor. He never ended up drafting, but I suspect that we easily could have traded up, and I still hold it against Bergevin for not being aggressive enough.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Where is the notion that Smith has a higher potential than Carlsson coming from?
Kinda crazy if you ask me. Probably coming from him winning U18 MVP and rumours of CBJ being high on him? It's honestly insane that it's even being discussed,

Reactions: Saxon

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Picking Michkov would be the very definition of high risk/high reward.
If he comes over, he might be the missing piece to becoming a serious contender.
If he doesn't come over, that might kill off this rebuild and we return to the bubble team purgatory.

Is there that much of a possibility he might never come over?

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I'd probably have Carlsson at 4th on my list as far as ceilings go.

But when it comes to entertaining players to watch I'd have him 2nd only behind Bedard.

His playstyle and how he has the balls to challenge the center of the ice in tough situations makes him a treat to watch. If we could have him on the Habs for the next 10+ years to watch it'd be a wet dream lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad