2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
We will see them at the world cup. Carlsson project to be the 1C of team Finland and Fantilli should play in Canada top 9. It will gives us a very nice field to evaluate them on the same stage.
Did you mean Sweden?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I agree. I would absolutely love to get him.

I think he could fall because i believe Smith, Michkov and Carlsson all have more offensive ceiling than him. But i also believe he is more of a complete player than any of them, and obviously, his offensive potential is also very high.

If we end up with the 2nd seed and pick Fantilli, and acquire Dubois. We would have a very nice mix of size, speed, skill and physicality in our top 9.
I don't agree that Will Smith have an higher offensive celling. I do agree for the 2 others but Fantilli for me have more offensive tools then Smith. Yes Smith have a better vision, but Fantilli have a better shoot, he's better to bring puck to the net and he's still a very good passer even if it's not his strength. I would be very piss off if my team took Smith before Fantilli

Reactions: atrud66

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Pretty sure we would pick Fantilli before Carlsson.
I do think they would go with Fantilli too. They already have a connection with him since Adam Nicholas work with for 1 yrs and half with the Chicago Steel and I do think they would go with the big Canadian center who brings a lot of speed and have the charisma to play in this market (I think it's Pronman in the Support Athletic podcast that said that Fantilli is different then the typical hockey player and when you interview him, he doesn't answers « la cassette » but really speak his minds and he's always really interesting)

At the end of the day, if we win the 2 pick OA, I think it's gonna be a fun debate here since it's gonna be between those 2 players and I'm pretty sure that most of us would be fine even if they pick the other guys we want.

Semaj49

Jul 28, 2009
I think the Habs would pick Carlsson over Fantilli.

But we'd need pick #2 for that.
I hignly doubt. Adam Nicholas was coaching him last year. I expect the team to draft a lot of American player this year, considering how much Hughes & Nicholas are familiar with this US draft class, especially in the rounds 2-7 tho.

Reactions: Tiger Svoboda

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I hignly doubt. Adam Nicholas was coaching him last year. I expect the team to draft a lot of American player this year, considering how much Hughes & Nicholas are familiar with this US draft class, especially in the rounds 2-7 tho.
MSL have coach some of the US prospect ranked in the 2-7 rounds too (Ryan Fine, Drew Fortescue, Aram Minnetian) so I do agree that we have more informations on those guys

Reactions: Semaj49

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Hyman got 83 points this year. We'll see if Leonard ever gets that many points in a season. I think you're underrating Hyman.

Leonard may have a little more creativity but they're both complimentary players whose role is to win puck battles in the offensive zone and setup their more creative/better finishing linemates
Isn't that what we need for Suzuki and Caufield?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
In the grand scheme of things, we didn't even get half a season of 18 year old Slaf to evaluate. Giving him a bit more time before calling it is 100% fair, regardless of him being your pick or not ( I wanted Wright, FWIW ) .

Reactions: Vachon23

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
How far away do you think Leonard is? He’s certainly at the very least 2-3 years away if that’s Slaf’s timeline.
Yes, he has the same timeline. If Leonard is a real choice it means we are out of the top level of talent and I would rather a Leonard type then a defenseman or another small forward.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yes, he has the same timeline. If Leonard is a real choice it means we are out of the top level of talent and I would rather a Leonard type then a defenseman or another small forward.
Ryan Leonard is type of player I LOVE and would take in my team any day (Dustin Brown was one of my favorite players back then when he was in his prime) but drafting him before David Reinbacher who could become our #1 Dmen and the missing pieces to make a contending top 4 Dmen (what is the most important thing in a team in my eyes) would be a mistake in my eyes.

Really wish Pittsburgh didn't fu** up against Chicago.. having a top 15 pick could have give us both of them

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1. Any EP premium subscribers know who they mocked us?

2. Just read Scott Wheelers draft mail bag and here's some highlights.

Fantilli almost assuredly going 2.

Carlsson not a slam dunk to go 3, some teams like Smith more.

Teams who didn't draft Russians last year are unlikely to do it this year. Michkov likely not going top 5, and expects to see him go 6-10.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Teams who didn't draft Russians last year are unlikely to do it this year. Michkov likely not going top 5, and expects to see him go 6-10.
I just can't see Leo Carlsson drop to 5. We can't be that lucky if we stay at 5

Semaj49

Jul 28, 2009

1. Ana: Bedard
2. Clb: Fantilli
3. Chi: Carlsson
4. SJ: Smith
5. Mtl: Leonard
6. Ari: Benson
7. Phi: Dvorsky
8. Wsh: Michkov
9. Det: Moore
10. Stl: Wood

Danielson with the 17th pick

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
The 2023 NHL Draft Lottery is just a few days away, so we did a simulated lottery and mock draft to give you a taste of what could go down on May 8.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Is there anywhere I could read a very critical breakdown of Fantilli and Carlsson? Like maybe even a negative or pessimistic one similar to how people ripped Shane Wright apart. I'm still undecided with whom I like more and who seems like he has more "bust potential". I think Fantilli has more bust potential but I'm not fixed on that.

I think I'm alone here not ranking Fantilli in the top 4. imo his ceiling is lower than others (his floor is very high so he's hard to rank).

Bedard
Michkov

Carlsson
Smith

Fantilli
Yager

I'm not saying he will bust or anything, I just don't believe in the 90 pts ceiling, I think he's MaxPac, a 30-40g/75 pts scorer. While I think Yager can have a Suzuki-like impact on a team.
Smith could be worse, but Smith could grow into a very good playmaking center of a higher ceiling. Smith floor is worse. There is a good dose of hab-centric decision-making in these rankings (ie. it's time to go for the homerun etc.) so I could see how Fantilli would be the 2nd best choice for the 16 teams in the playoffs right now. But if you are rebuilding, a 75 pts ceiling from a 2nd overall is something to be a bit more nervous about (you might end up with the 6-7th best player while other teams obtain a franchise player).

Plus we have Slaf whose game is very similar to Fantilli, we can't draft the same player every year and expect to turn the corner in a rebuild. We need different skillsets, and one skillset we need over every other is hockey IQ.

Reactions: Jack Skellington

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
The 2023 NHL Draft Lottery is just a few days away, so we did a simulated lottery and mock draft to give you a taste of what could go down on May 8.

I wouldn't be upset at all with Smith to Habs. He looks like a elite game breaker in the making.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I take Fantilli's high tempo game before Carlsson's "I'm trying to figure what the best pass is oh shit where's the puck" game.

You don't pass on MacKinnon for Barkov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad