2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Hyman got 83 points this year. We'll see if Leonard ever gets that many points in a season. I think you're underrating Hyman.

Leonard may have a little more creativity but they're both complimentary players whose role is to win puck battles in the offensive zone and setup their more creative/better finishing linemates
It was also the first season in which he got over 54 points, even though he has played with stars for the better part of the last 5 years.

This is not about points, it's about the player's abilities. Hyman does not have elusive hands, nor does he have great vision. He's good at winning battles and he knows where to be in the offensive zone when either 97 or 29 has the puck. Leonard can become even better at these things, but he also has the extra skill that Hyman does not. If you think Leonard's role is only to win puck battles, I suggest you watch more games of his.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Hyman got 83 points this year. We'll see if Leonard ever gets that many points in a season. I think you're underrating Hyman.

Leonard may have a little more creativity but they're both complimentary players whose role is to win puck battles in the offensive zone and setup their more creative/better finishing linemates

Hyman is a 50 point player at best without McDavid and being the worst player on the best PP unit ever. He is exactly the same player that he was with Toronto where he never broke 50 points despite playing with Mathews and Marner, injuries played a part but he is not a skilled forward. He wins puck battles and gets the puck to his superior linemates and that is definitely valuable. With most teams he would be in and around the 40 point mark.

All of that being said, Hyman is bigger and stronger than Leonard while Leonard will likely end up being slightly more skilled. I view Leonard as more of a 50 point winger who plays a physical game as an aggressive forechecker so stylistically they are very similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: atrud66

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Curious to see Bob's list as right now there currently seems to be quite a lot of variance in draft lists after the top 3 picks even excluding all the Michkov questions.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
It's wild just how little information is getting out about the Michkov situation. Is there anything stopping someone like Bobrov with a connection to SKA from reaching out to chat with Michkovs agent?

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I think we take Michkov.

Everyone else will be scared and he will fall to us.

Bobrov will have the connections and will get assurances that Michkov is planning to come over, etc.
Honestly this is 100% what I'm hoping for. Drafting a falling Mitchkov is our best shot at getting a franchise forward given how unlikely we are to win the lottery.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It's wild just how little information is getting out about the Michkov situation. Is there anything stopping someone like Bobrov with a connection to SKA from reaching out to chat with Michkovs agent?
If Bobrov has done so, he wouldn't reveal to his draft competitors that he has. Sometimes radio silence is a good thing; as the poet says real Gs move in silence like lasagna.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Is there anywhere I could read a very critical breakdown of Fantilli and Carlsson? Like maybe even a negative or pessimistic one similar to how people ripped Shane Wright apart. I'm still undecided with whom I like more and who seems like he has more "bust potential". I think Fantilli has more bust potential but I'm not fixed on that.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Is there anywhere I could read a very critical breakdown of Fantilli and Carlsson? Like maybe even a negative or pessimistic one similar to how people ripped Shane Wright apart. I'm still undecided with whom I like more and who seems like he has more "bust potential". I think Fantilli has more bust potential but I'm not fixed on that.
I don't think you look at any of them and see bust potential. If anything, they both should be, at the very least, competent top six player. Nothing is sure but they are very strong prospects who have elite tools and who project as elite player.

A knock on Fantilli is that he is 13 days from the 2022 draft, so he is very old for his draft class. He is only seven months younger than Slafkovsky for example, and only five months younger than Cooley. Folks here argue that he would have been #1 in 2022 but i am not sure 74 points in 57 USHL games would have made him the surefire number one pick. Some question Fantilli IQ and he has terrific athleticism so maybe he won't translate all of his offensive games to the next level. I still think the tools are too good personally.

Carlsson, personally, i believe is a bit raw. I think he has more upside than Fantilli but i also think he needs a bit more polishing, for what its worth.

We will see them at the world cup. Carlsson project to be the 1C of team Finland and Fantilli should play in Canada top 9. It will gives us a very nice field to evaluate them on the same stage.

But to answer your question, i think Carlsson has a bit more work to do to be a finished product but i also think the upside is bigger. Big true, physically dominante, offensively spectacular number one centerman. Neither of them has the red flag Wright had too (lack of growth, passivity, disappointing offensive production)

The homerun pick is Carlsson in my opinion. I also think its probable Fantilli falls in the draft. Although a low-odds scenario, i don't think its out the question Carlsson, Michkov and Smith gets picked before Fantilli.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don't think you look at any of them and see bust potential. If anything, they both should be, at the very least, competent top six player. Nothing is sure but they are very strong prospects who have elite tools and who project as elite player.

A knock on Fantilli is that he is 13 days from the 2022 draft, so he is very old for his draft class. He is only six month younger than Slafkovsky for example.

Carlsson, personally, i believe is a bit raw. I think he has more upside than Fantilli but i also think he needs a bit more polishing, for what its worth.

We will see them at the world cup. Carlsson project to be the 1C of team Finland and Fantilli should play in Canada top 9. It will gives us a very nice field to evaluate them on the same stage.

But to answer your question, i think Carlsson has a bit more work to do to be a finished product but i also think the upside is bigger. Big true, physically dominante, offensively spectacular number one centerman. Neither of them has the red flag Wright had too (lack of growth, passivity, disappointing offensive production)
I would say though that Adam Fantilli bring a little something special that you don't usually see in star players. He has the Tkachuk mentality/physicality/swag when he plays and I love that. He's already implicate in the DZone too (played well in the Final at the U20 in a defensive role).

For me he's the total package even if he's IQ is not the highest (like MacKinnon)

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I would say though that Adam Fantilli bring a little something special that you don't usually see in star players. He has the Tkachuk mentality/physicality/swag when he plays and I love that. He's already implicate in the DZone too (played well in the Final at the U20 in a defensive role).

For me he's the total package even if he's IQ is not the highest (like MacKinnon)
I agree. I would absolutely love to get him.

I think he could fall because i believe Smith, Michkov and Carlsson all have more offensive ceiling than him. But i also believe he is more of a complete player than any of them, and obviously, his offensive potential is also very high.

If we end up with the 2nd seed and pick Fantilli, and acquire Dubois. We would have a very nice mix of size, speed, skill and physicality in our top 9.

Reactions: ReHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad