2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Caufield is a rare case, in that he was breaking records in his draft year and teams still didn’t want to touch him at the top of the draft.

Benson just has so many attributes that can improve an entire line and make him a cornerstone in constructing a team. I like players like Leonard and Barlow, but I see them as complementary players. Dvorsky and Reinbacher are intriguing as well, the latter especially because of organizational need, but in terms of high-end skill and processing, I just like Benson the most.

I guess what I'm saying is Caufield slipping was to our advantage with the 15th pick where now we are the ones with the 5-8 range pick and I choose to let Benson slide. I'd play the odds he is not another Caufield.

Caufield was ranked in that 5-10 range pre draft from what I remember. Similar ranking to Benson today. So, do we have another exception in Benson or not? Once again, I'd play the odds he is not.

JT3

May 27, 2013
I guess what I'm saying is Caufield slipping was to our advantage with the 15th pick where now we are the ones with the 5-8 range pick and I choose to let Benson slide. I'd play the odds he is not another Caufield.

Caufield was ranked in that 5-10 range pre draft from what I remember. Similar ranking to Benson today. So, do we have another exception in Benson or not? Once again, I'd play the odds he is not.
The only comparable between Benson and Caufield is that they're both smallish bois. And Benson is 5'10 to Caufield's 5'7. Otherwise they play entirely different style of games. Benson is a marner-esque all around two-way play driver.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013

I don’t know, I’m not entirely sure Caufield is even that much of an exception in today’s NHL outside of being short. He’s still a stocky kid. I’d expect Benson to play in the NHL at around 180 lbs and if you look at the top 20 scorers in the league, it’s littered with players ~170-180 lbs: Panarin, Hughes, Point, Kucherov, Marner, Keller. Hell, even beanpole Pettersson is listed at 176 lbs.

Some of these guys were drafted at their skill level, but half of them were undervalued at the draft, or even undrafted due to size.

Outside of bluechip talent, I’ll agree that drafting size has its perk as even if players don’t reach their ceilings, bigger guys still have a better chance at defining themselves as role players at the NHL level. But when I’m looking at the most skilled players in the draft, I’m betting on exactly that: skill. You can’t find it anywhere else.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
The only comparable between Benson and Caufield is that they're both smallish bois. And Benson is 5'10 to Caufield's 5'7. Otherwise they play entirely different style of games. Benson is a marner-esque all around two-way play driver.
Benson is like the kind of player I wished Wright was. Insane IQ but with a motor and work ethic to match.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t know, I’m not entirely sure Caufield is even that much of an exception in today’s NHL outside of being short. He’s still a stocky kid. I’d expect Benson to play in the NHL at around 180 lbs and if you look at the top 20 scorers in the league, it’s littered with players ~170-180 lbs: Panarin, Hughes, Point, Kucherov, Marner, Keller. Hell, even beanpole Pettersson is listed at 176 lbs.

Some of these guys were drafted at their skill level, but half of them were undervalued at the draft, or even undrafted due to size.

Outside of bluechip talent, I’ll agree that drafting size has its perk as even if players don’t reach their ceilings, bigger guys still have a better chance at defining themselves as role players at the NHL level. But when I’m looking at the most skilled players in the draft, I’m betting on exactly that: skill. You can’t find it anywhere else.

I would draft Michkov for his skill but I would pass on Benson. I think Benson is in the 5-10 range of talent and there are guys with his skill in that range as well. I don't see an undisputed BPA at 5 in this draft.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
I would draft Michkov for his skill but I would pass on Benson. I think Benson is in the 5-10 range of talent and there are guys with his skill in that range as well. I don't see an undisputed BPA at 5 in this draft.
Fair enough. He’s my guy at 5.
For me, things start to get more complicated at 6.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal

Not the same kind of player at all. Caufield was more of a boom or bust prospect, because he was view primary as a pure sniper. Benson is a way more complete player. The only issue they share is their skating, which Caufield proved he can improve. I think the Habs need to try hit a homerun and go after the high cellings guys like Michkov and Benson.

Jul 6, 2016
I can’t respond to this in a way that won’t get me in trouble so just know that I disapprove of your post
You can answer me the anyway you want. If you follow international politics recently (and the difficulties that faced Kaprizov to get out of Russia Last Fall), you should know that it's gonna be a huge gamble to pick Mitchkov, or any other Russian playing over there, next draft. And if you believe this war (or even a bigger one) gonna be over soon, you are delusional.

But if your nickname reflects your nationality, then I can understand your pov. That I don't share.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
You can answer me the anyway you want. If you follow international politics recently (and the difficulties that faced Kaprizov to get out of Russia Last Fall), you should know that it's gonna be a huge gamble to pick Mitchkov, or any other Russian playing over there, next draft. And if you believe this war (or even a bigger one) gonna be over soon, you are delusional.

But if your nickname reflects your nationality, then I can understand your pov. That I don't share.
Kaprizov was wanted by police because of fraudulent military IDs not the same

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Here we go.. 2nd last iteration.

Name
Position
League
Connor Bedard​
C​
WHL​
Leo Carlsson​
C​
SHL​
Adam Fantilli​
C​
NCAA​
Matvei Michkov​
RW​
KHL​
Will Smith​
C​
USHL​
Zach Benson​
LW​
WHL​
David Reinbacher​
RHD​
NL​
Ryan Leonard​
C​
USHL​
Brayden Yager​
C​
WHL​
Oliver Moore​
C​
USHL​
Eduard Sale​
LW​
Cze​
Dalibor Dvorsky​
C​
Allsvenskan​
Matthew Wood​
C​
NCAA​
Samuel Honzek​
C​
WHL​
Riley Heidt​
LW​
WHL​
Jacob Fowler​
G​
USHL​
Mikhail Gulyayev​
LHD​
KHL​
Carson Bjarnason​
G​
WHL​
Lukas Dragicevic​
RHD​
WHL​
Michael Hrabal​
G​
USHL​
Nate Danielson​
C​
WHL​
Quentin Musty​
LW​
OHL​
Axel Sandin-Pellikka​
RHD​
SHL​
Daniil But​
LW​
KHL​
Gracyn Sawchyn​
C​
WHL​
Koehn Ziemmer​
RW​
WHL​
Andrew Cristall​
LW​
WHL​
Colby Barlow​
LW​
OHL​
Dmitri Simashev​
LD​
KHL​
Tom Willander​
RHD​
SHL​
Otto Stenberg​
C​
SHL​
Oskar Fisker Molgaard​
LW​
SHL​
Calum Ritchie​
C​
OHL​
Theo Lindstein​
LHD​
SHL​
Beau Akey​
RHD​
OHL​
Etienne Morin​
LHD​
QMJHL​
Aydar Suniev​
C​
BCHL​
Lenni Haamenaho​
RW​
Liiga​
Adam Gajan​
G​
USHL​
David Edstrom​
C​
SHL​
Carson Rehkopf​
LW​
OHL​
Felix Nilsson​
C​
SHL​
Noah Dower-Nilsson​
C​
J20​
Gabe Perreault​
LW​
USHL​
Ethan Gauthier​
RW​
QMJHL​
Coulson Pitre​
C​
OHL​
Nick Lardis​
RW​
OHL​
Gavin Brindley​
RW​
NCAA​
Kalan Lind​
LW​
WHL​
Alexander Rykov​
LW​
VHL​
Charlie Stramel​
RW​
NCAA​
Luca Cagnoni​
LHD​
WHL​
Kasper Halttunen​
LW​
Liiga​
Bradley Nadeau​
C​
BCHL​
Mathieu Cataford​
RW​
QMJHL​
Caden Price​
LHD​
WHL​
Arttu Karki​
LHD​
U20​
Tanner Molendyk​
LHD​
WHL​
William Whitelaw​
C​
USHL​
Hunter Brzustewicz​
RHD​
OHL​
Connor Levis​
C​
WHL​
Oliver Bonk​
RHD​
OHL​
Matthew Mania​
RHD​
OHL​
Ryan Conmy​
RW​
USHL​
Tanner Ludtke​
LW​
USHL​
Damian Clara​
G​
Allsvenskan​
Alex Ciernik​
LW​
Allsvenskan​
Cameron Allen​
RHD​
OHL​
Maxim Strbak​
RHD​
USHL​
Jordan Tourigny​
RHD​
QMJHL​
Anton Wahlberg​
C​
SHL​
Felix Unger Sorum​
RW​
J20​
Petter Vesterheim​
C​
Allsvenskan​
Emil Jarventie​
LW​
Mestis​
Noel Nordh​
LW​
SHL​
Roman Kantserov​
LW​
MHL​
Jesse Nurmi​
LW​
Liiga​
Jadin Lipinski​
RW​
WHL​
Jakub Stancl​
LW​
SHL​
Timur Mukhanov​
C​
VHL​
Jayden Perron​
RW​
USHL​
Joey Willis​
C​
OHL​
Luca Pinelli​
C​
OHL​
Trey Augustine​
G​
USHL​
Zeb Forsfjall​
C​
SHL​
Tuomas Uronen​
RW​
Liiga​
Tyler Peddle​
C​
QMJHL​
Andrew Strathmann​
LHD​
USHL​
Denver Barkey​
C​
OHL​
Aiden Fink​
RW​
AJHL​
Tommasso De Luca​
C​
WHL​
Gavin Mccarthy​
RHD​
USHL​
Aram Minnetian​
RHD​
USHL​
Jake Fisher​
LW​
USHS​
Rainers Rullers​
C​
Latvia​
Easton Cowan​
C​
OHL​
Vadim Schreiner​
C​
AlpsHL​
Adam Dybal​
G​
CzeU20​
Rasmus Kumpulainen​
LW​
Mestis​
Yegor Klimovich​
LW​
MHL​
Martin Misiak​
C​
USHL​
Beckett Hendrickson​
LW​
USHL​
Scott Ratzlaff​
G​
WHL​
Teodor Forssander​
LW​
J20​
Jan Sprynar​
RW​
QMJHL​
Griffin Erdman​
C​
USHL​
Nikita Susuyev​
LW​
MHL​
Samuel Urban​
G​
SVK-2​
Ignat Lutfullin​
RW​
MHL​
Valentin Zhugin​
LW​
OHL​
Carter Sotheran​
RHD​
WHL​
Gavyn Thoreson​
LW​
USHL​
Ondrej Molnar​
LW​
OHL​
Daniel Alexander Jencko​
C​
J20​
Ian Scherzer​
C​
J20​
Tomas Milic​
G​
WHL​
Hoyt Stanley​
RHD​
BCHL​
Leo Eperjese​
LD​
USHL​
Calle Karlsson​
C​
J20​
Adam Zidlicky​
RW​
OHL​
Luke Coughlin​
LHD​
QMJHL​
Sean McGurn​
C​
OHL​

Curious about your goalie choices and where you have them ranked as players. Is this BPA rankings and you would take a goalie that high if you were picking? Or would you wait to the 2nd, maybe 3rd round, and take one of the first four goalies.

I don't know how to properly evaluate a goalie because we see so many goalies outside the 1st round as starters in the league.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I understand your point of not believing in Benson, but I don't understand why you keep saying "playing the odds"... there are no better odds for the other guys in the top 10. Its more talent or more size/tools. There is no less bust with size that there are without.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Curious about your goalie choices and where you have them ranked as players. Is this BPA rankings and you would take a goalie that high if you were picking? Or would you wait to the 2nd, maybe 3rd round, and take one of the first four goalies.

I don't know how to properly evaluate a goalie because we see so many goalies outside the 1st round as starters in the league.

BPA rankings. I'd take them right where I was selecting because there's a huge goalie deficiency in the NHL right now and I want to make sure that I'm one of the teams with a good goalie coming up.

Reactions: Nedved

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Kaprizov was wanted by police because of fraudulent military IDs not the same

But doesn't that just point to the military service requirement as an issue?

What if Russia demands he serve his military service once his KHL deal is done?

I think Michkov is worth the risk (at 4+), but I think it's important to realize there is some percent chance that he takes longer than three years to come over.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

This is just baseless speculation, and the Kaprizov situation is not at all comparable

Turn the news off for a while man

• Haha
Reactions: 1909

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I understand your point of not believing in Benson, but I don't understand why you keep saying "playing the odds"... there are no better odds for the other guys in the top 10. Its more talent or more size/tools. There is no less bust with size that there are without.

The odds are Benson's ceiling is Jarvis type. Not like style but value... middle 6F who needs sheltering. Jarvis has a very good draft year like Benson in the WHL.

The odds are Benson as a undersized pick from 5-10 is not the next Caufield.

The other guys in that 5-10 mix who have size could end up being a middle 6F too but they don't need sheltering.

Understand the difference? Look at the choices before Caufield:
* Cozens
* Broberg
* Zegras
* Podkolzin
* Soderstrom
* Boldy
* Knight

So, we need to seriously consider if Benson is the next Caufield or not? Odds are he is not. So when you let him slip, are you drafting a Zegras or a Podkolzin. You're trying to tell me we could draft the Podkolzin but I'm saying there are many others in that mix we can hit on and Zegras was one of them. ;)

Who do you like more? Cozens or Jarvis? There is more risks in drafting Benson vs Smith IMO.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
But doesn't that just point to the military service requirement as an issue?

What if Russia demands he serve his military service once his KHL deal is done?

I think Michkov is worth the risk (at 4+), but I think it's important to realize there is some percent chance that he takes longer than three years to come over.
could be wrong but i think i read somewhere that Russia gaved a pass on Michkov to skip military services so he can focus on hes hockey career

Putin is a crazy huge hockey fan if anything doesnt it serve him more to have more russians doing good in the NHL?

i dont follow politics because its always been a joke but i dont believe for a second that Michkov will be stuck in Russia because of this war

Reactions: Expos94

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
could be wrong but i think i read somewhere that Russia gaved a pass on Michkov to skip military services so he can focus on hes hockey career

I'd be interested to see that. Would seem strange, as even if they never intend to have him serve it's just extra leverage for them over Michkov.

Putin is a crazy huge hockey fan if anything doesnt it serve him more to have more russians doing good in the NHL?

Avoiding direct political discussion, I don't think it does serve him tbh. He has a vision he's selling to the Russian public, and Michkov leaving for the west would be counter to that vision.

i dont follow politics because its always been a joke but i dont believe for a second that Michkov will be stuck in Russia because of this war

Seems a little odd to say something like I don't know much about this topic but I'm confident that it will result in this outcome.

Like I said, I'm a big Michkov fan at 4+, but as a fanbase we need to realize there is genuine risk of him staying in Russia longer than 3 years. We could debate the chance of that, but there's no reason to believe it can't happen.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
The odds are Benson's ceiling is Jarvis type. Not like style but value... middle 6F who needs sheltering. Jarvis has a very good draft year like Benson in the WHL.

The odds are Benson as a undersized pick from 5-10 is not the next Caufield.

The other guys in that 5-10 mix who have size could end up being a middle 6F too but they don't need sheltering.

Understand the difference? Look at the choices before Caufield:
* Cozens
* Broberg
* Zegras
* Podkolzin
* Soderstrom
* Boldy
* Knight

So, we need to seriously consider if Benson is the next Caufield or not? Odds are he is not. So when you let him slip, are you drafting a Zegras or a Podkolzin. You're trying to tell me we could draft the Podkolzin but I'm saying there are many others in that mix we can hit on and Zegras was one of them. ;)

Who do you like more? Cozens or Jarvis? There is more risks in drafting Benson vs Smith IMO.
I just think this is a generally flawed way to look at the draft. No draft year is the same making such comparison is pointless. If Benson becomes a middle six, it'll be an smart-energy type guy a la Zuccarelo before he became a top line producer. He really is not a guy who will need "sheltering", he's small but he is an all around player. A Zegras type needs much more defensive sheltering than a Benson type.

I don't think we are seeing the same player tbh, but hey thats fine!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just think this is a generally flawed way to look at the draft. No draft year is the same making such comparison is pointless. If Benson becomes a middle six, it'll be an smart-energy type guy a la Zuccarelo before he became a top line producer. He really is not a guy who will need "sheltering", he's small but he is an all around player. A Zegras type needs much more defensive sheltering than a Benson type.

I don't think we are seeing the same player tbh, but hey thats fine!

It's not generally flawed cause the top Scouts and GM keep doing what I just presented you. Every once in a while a Caufield proves that strategy wrong and then some fans think it's wrong all the time. Not true. Caufield is the exception but the exception is not the general rule.

The teams who passed up on Caufield did get hits in some areas. Lets not overlook that part as well.

So I repeat, do you think Benson is the exception like Caufield? You willing to gamble the 5-8 range pick on that? I'm not and yes, I know Benson's game fairly well.

Odd are Benson is no better than Jarvis value. Odds are Smith might be a Cozens. Who would you pick? Cozens or Jarvis? Knowing what you know today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad