2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Best case situation, a top 4 team wants Michkov, another top 4 team wants Reinbacher, and we end up with Fantilli or Carlsson.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Best case situation, a top 4 team wants Michkov, another top 4 team wants Reinbacher, and we end up with Fantilli or Carlsson.

It would be nice to draft 5th. But even if we finish 5th last we only have a 42% chance of drafting top 5.

And we may finish 6th or 7th last...when Dach comes back will have a lot to do with how many points we pick up in the standings.

Expos94

May 13, 2022
Not a chance

With Dach back in the lineup, we could easily win 2 in a row and Philly lose 2 in a row and then we'd be right back tied with them in points.
Philly has two games in hand , it's Phoenix that could slide into 5th

Long Sky

Jan 6, 2006
Smith is most likely a winger. I don't know, he's slow, often uninvolved, doesn't care much on the defensive side or when the puck isn't close to him.

His puckhandling is great, he's an awesome puck distributor and all but he 100% lacks dynamism. His shot isn't great (Its okay), etc. I have trouble coming up with a similar player that had success in the NHL. Whereas I can come up with playstyle/skillwise examples for everyone else.

Suzuki is the closest one I can think of but Nick has that absolute laser beam wrister that Smith just does not have and I also feel like Nick is low-key tough to play against because he's sneaky and so stocky, whereas Smith is just... there ?
Smith sounds a lot like Drouin

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
hard pass on smith.

Talented prospect who have already motor/intencity problem at a young age is bound to be disaster.

Do not draft list for me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
hard pass on smith.

Talented prospect who have already motor/intencity problem at a young age is bound to be disaster.

Do not draft list for me.

Care to elaborate on the motor/intensity problem? First I hear of this with Smith

Tony Ferrari - The Hockey News - Dec. 19th: "Smith is a slick dual-threat attacker who can create offense for himself and his teammates. When Smith is cutting and dashing through the middle of the ice, he draws attention as defenders feel the need to assist their teammates who are generally a step behind and making a desperation play themselves."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 14th: "The brain and feet work really well together to allow him to continuously play at a high pace."

Austin Garret - Smaht Scouting - Nov. 25th: "Will Smith in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick is a defenseman’s ankles worst nightmare. His ability to use his small area skill to dangle through and around defenders is one of the best in the class."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Nov. 15th: "He has a lot of individual skill and is a strong skater. He’s thus able to beat a lot of defenders one-on-one and can break shifts open. Smith is a high-end playmaker who can make a lot of difficult plays on the move."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Nov. 1st: "Smith is one of the very best slot passers in the draft and uses impressive puckhandling ability to dodges close-outs, weave off of the wall, and make plays through holes in coverage in possession with ease, regularly hanging onto pucks to delay and fake his way into his spots."

Evan Pace - Dobber Prospects - Oct. 20th: "Smith is a crafty playmaking forward with legitimate scoring and two-way upside. He works hard off the puck and attacks with intent, utilizing his puck skills to beat defenders one on one and create space for himself and his teammates."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Oct. 19th: "A prolific goal scorer all the way up, who is pacing the USNTDP in one of the best starts in program history."

Steven - Daily FaceOff - Oct. 3rd: "Don’t be surprised if the Boston College commit moves up the ranks by June."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - August 8th: "He’s an impressive puck handler who dodges close-outs and plays through holes in coverage in possession with ease, regularly hanging onto pucks to delay and fake his way into his spots. He’s also the kind of player who, despite a dangerous wrister, will more often look to deke in all alone than shoot."

Brook Otten - McKeen's Hockey - July 26th: "Ultimately the question is, does Smith do anything exceptionally well? His game is already very well rounded. He skates well. He shows a soft touch in the slot and near the crease. He can find passing options in transition. His puck skills are sound."

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin pushed the pace a lot in juniors. Smith is much more of a pro offensively.

Id say maybe Ribeiro?

Drouin was a dangler in the Q and was able to take advantage of time/space with his skating at that level. It was a trap because you don't see how he didn't like less time/space and physical contact.

Smith to me is build well. Skating, Size, Vision, Hockey IQ looks very good. Has he played against men or physical players who also skate well? Not much sample size there right?

Philly suck and could easily lose those two games in hand.

Even if the Flyers loose the 2 games in hand, they would still be 4 pts behind and they likely own the RW tie breaker so it's 5 pts.

5 pts in the difference in 7 games (if the Flyers loose the next 2). Habs would have to get 8 pts out of 14 and Flyers would have to only get 3 pts out of 14. Not probable.

Reactions: Expos94

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Drouin was a dangler in the Q and was able to take advantage of time/space with his skating at that level. It was a trap because you don't see how he didn't like less time/space and physical contact.

Smith to me is build well. Skating, Size, Vision, Hockey IQ looks very good. Has he played against men or physical players who also skate well? Not much sample size there right?

Even if the Flyers loose the 2 games in hand, they would still be 4 pts behind and they likely own the RW tie breaker so it's 5 pts.

5 pts in the difference in 7 games (if the Flyers loose the next 2). Habs would have to get 8 pts out of 14 and Flyers would have to only get 3 pts out of 14. Not probable.

No doubt it's not probable but it's easily possible for the Flyers to go 1-5-1 and for us to go 4-3-0 or 3-2-2 with Dach back.

Reactions: Gravity

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Very huge L yesterday. That's pretty confirm that Habs will finish at least bottom 6! Great news in general. This year teams tank are better than last year, bottom 6 finish mean... top 8 lock. This year, top 8 is very very solid. I'm very confident with scouts, Habs management to select the best player for the future of this team. They want to go with the higgest potential like last year and this year at top 8 range, huge options are there to select a high offensive forward OR a top pairing RD potential with David Reinbacher, not bad at all... considering that Dubois will become a Habs sooner than later!!

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
If they take But in the first round top 15 with either pick, I’ll be pissed and have no more faith in this group

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Care to elaborate on the motor/intensity problem? First I hear of this with Smith

Tony Ferrari - The Hockey News - Dec. 19th: "Smith is a slick dual-threat attacker who can create offense for himself and his teammates. When Smith is cutting and dashing through the middle of the ice, he draws attention as defenders feel the need to assist their teammates who are generally a step behind and making a desperation play themselves."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 14th: "The brain and feet work really well together to allow him to continuously play at a high pace."

Austin Garret - Smaht Scouting - Nov. 25th: "Will Smith in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick is a defenseman’s ankles worst nightmare. His ability to use his small area skill to dangle through and around defenders is one of the best in the class."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Nov. 15th: "He has a lot of individual skill and is a strong skater. He’s thus able to beat a lot of defenders one-on-one and can break shifts open. Smith is a high-end playmaker who can make a lot of difficult plays on the move."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Nov. 1st: "Smith is one of the very best slot passers in the draft and uses impressive puckhandling ability to dodges close-outs, weave off of the wall, and make plays through holes in coverage in possession with ease, regularly hanging onto pucks to delay and fake his way into his spots."

Evan Pace - Dobber Prospects - Oct. 20th: "Smith is a crafty playmaking forward with legitimate scoring and two-way upside. He works hard off the puck and attacks with intent, utilizing his puck skills to beat defenders one on one and create space for himself and his teammates."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Oct. 19th: "A prolific goal scorer all the way up, who is pacing the USNTDP in one of the best starts in program history."

Steven - Daily FaceOff - Oct. 3rd: "Don’t be surprised if the Boston College commit moves up the ranks by June."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - August 8th: "He’s an impressive puck handler who dodges close-outs and plays through holes in coverage in possession with ease, regularly hanging onto pucks to delay and fake his way into his spots. He’s also the kind of player who, despite a dangerous wrister, will more often look to deke in all alone than shoot."

Brook Otten - McKeen's Hockey - July 26th: "Ultimately the question is, does Smith do anything exceptionally well? His game is already very well rounded. He skates well. He shows a soft touch in the slot and near the crease. He can find passing options in transition. His puck skills are sound."
Just go watch some of his games. You’ll see the lack of intensity and effort people who actually watch him are talking about. The USNTDP website makes all the home games available for free.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Definitely possible.

But it's looking good for us.

1-7-1 is possible yes but not probable.

Just go watch some of his games. You’ll see the lack of intensity and effort people who actually watch him are talking about. The USNTDP website makes all the home games available for free.

Who are you drafting instead? I'll have to trust you on Smith because I have not really watched a lot of games. I'm still high on him for now. U18's will be something to watch closely

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
1-7-1 is possible yes but not probable.

Who are you drafting instead? I'll have to trust you on Smith because I have not really watched a lot of games. I'm still high on him for now. U18's will be something to watch closely
Yes, it's highly probable we finish below Philly. But not a done deal with how bad they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad