2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
1-7-1 is possible yes but not probable.

Who are you drafting instead? I'll have to trust you on Smith because I have not really watched a lot of games. I'm still high on him for now. U18's will be something to watch closely
At 5 it is without a doubt Benson. Hes a hockey player and everything he does projects extremely well to the NHL. Hes like Marner except 5’10

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I haven’t really scouted much this year, but assuming we aren’t getting a top 3 guy, Dvorsky looks pretty good to me. Just seems to check all the boxes and that’s always been my draft MO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I haven’t really scouted much this year, but assuming we aren’t getting a top 3 guy, Dvorsky looks pretty good to me. Just seems to check all the boxes and that’s always been my draft MO.

Dvorsky looks good but some fans in our herd are low on him. I don't think the 5-8 range is locked in as much as some of us think it is. Seems like we are doing the same stuff as in the past... throwing this guy to the side and pumping another.

I like Smith a lot. But then someone said today his intensity/energy is low. Not a fan of drafting Benson cause he looks like a Jarvis to me. Sale is one I'm looking at more and more. Button is high on him but not much talk about Sale in our herd so far.

Yager is another but we seem to be low on him as a whole. Had good ranking heading into this season but appears to be fading.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Dvorsky looks good but some fans in our herd are low on him. I don't think the 5-8 range is locked in as much as some of us think it is. Seems like we are doing the same stuff as in the past... throwing this guy to the side and pumping another.

I like Smith a lot. But then someone said today his intensity/energy is low. Not a fan of drafting Benson cause he looks like a Jarvis to me. Sale is one I'm looking at more and more. Button is high on him but not much talk about Sale in our herd so far.

Yager is another but we seem to be low on him as a whole. Had good ranking heading into this season but appears to be fading.
Ya Sale is intriguing, high upside. Will be interesting to see how the 4-8 or so tier shakeout. Looks to be a great draft to me and could end up with a Slafkovsky level prospect in that range.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Ya Sale is intriguing, high upside. Will be interesting to see how the 4-8 or so tier shakeout. Looks to be a great draft to me and could end up with a Slafkovsky level prospect in that range.

I would love Sale @ Florida's spot. I'm hoping people get high on the CHL and USHL players, and he slides. It really is a toss up from 5-20. There will be some talented players @ Florida's pick if they don't make the playoffs.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Jul 6, 2016
I would love Sale @ Florida's spot. I'm hoping people get high on the CHL and USHL players, and he slides. It really is a toss up from 5-20. There will be some talented players @ Florida's pick if they don't make the playoffs.
According to Button, Sale is the second-coming of Pastrnak !!!!!

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
At 5 it is without a doubt Benson. Hes a hockey player and everything he does projects extremely well to the NHL. Hes like Marner except 5’10
I agree. Benson is my favourite player outside the top 4. He’s a true play driver that has a dynamism this team has been missing for far too long. So sick of watching the Habs ice a roster full of complementary players.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
He’s got great tools. He’s got pro size and strength, a mature 200-foot game and an elite shot. What people don’t like is the passivity. If he can develop more of a drive and killer instinct with age, he could be a top-tier player. He’s been dominant against his age group, so it could just be the apprehensiveness of a 17-year-old playing in a men’s league, or it could be a problem. That’s the big question mark.

Last edited:

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
I agree. Benson is my favourite player outside the top 4. He’s a true play driver that has a dynamism this team has been missing for far too long. So sick of watching the Habs ice a roster full of complementary players.
Exactly. He would only need one more year the WHL putting over 2ppg and then Id even expect him to produce quite a lot in the NHL as a 19yo. Hes just so smart and would be to Dach what Cole is to Suzuki longterm.

Reactions: PavelBrendl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
According to Button, Sale is the second-coming of Pastrnak !!!!!

Agreed. Button is high on him. What's the knock on Sale's game? Strengths and Flaws?

Seems like a Jarvis type to me. Jarvis has a very good draft year as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Regardless of the Panthers making the playoffs or not, it's likely to be 14-18 range. If they sneak in, they have a date with the Bruins bud.

So yeah, there will be talent there. Something to watch out for is Reinbacher. Some think he slides into the top 10 but I think he might slide in the 10-15 range personally. Right now, he is ranked 19th on Elite Prospects consolidated rankings. 20th on Bob's Jan list.

Does Reinbacher go in the top 10? Late riser yes but we will see if he rises that much as we get closer to the draft.

Have you watch Benson ? They are not really comparable...

If you want a good comparable, look at Brad Marchand.

I have watched Benson a bit. You know it's WHL right? I also have watched Jarvis in his draft year and he looked very good too.

I'd take Michkov as the undersized forward but not Benson. Sorry. I'm not banking on a undersized forward breaking out like Marchand with a top 8 pick.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I have watched Benson a bit. You know it's WHL right? I also have watched Jarvis in his draft year and he looked very good too.

I'd take Michkov as the undersized forward but not Benson. Sorry. I'm not banking on a undersized forward breaking out like Marchand with a top 8 pick.
I usually prefer bigger players but players with Zach Benson skills and the drive he posses is extremely hard to find. He's not only gonna be one of our best player, but he's a player that will help a lot the culture HuGo want to build with how he handle himself.

MSL is probably the best coach Benson can have since he plays a very similar game

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Agreed. Button is high on him. What's the knock on Sale's game? Strengths and Flaws?

I don’t see the Jarvis comparison. Benson is more creative and dynamic, Jarvis more of a shooter.

Benson is also the primary play driver on a roster that includes players like Savoie, Geekie and Lambos.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t see the Jarvis comparison. Benson is more creative and dynamic, Jarvis more of a shooter.

Benson is also the primary play driver on a roster that includes players like Savoie, Geekie and Lambos.

A play driver in the WHL yeah. 6 NHL drafted players and 6 players pt/game or better on that roster. Sorry, I'm going to play the odds that this undersized forward does not turn the needle in the NHL like Caufield has. Caufield is a rare case bud. I do think Benson has a great shot at making the NHL but his value to me is like a Jarvis type. You're trying to compare their styles too much.

5'-10" and 159 lbs. I'd take Michkov because I do think he can turn the offensive needle in the NHL but not Benson. We are trying to build a contender who can go on deep playoff runs, not a pretender.

If Benson becomes the undersized exception at the NHL level, sure, he can prove me wrong. I think there are other targets in that 5-8 waive we can take before him. There is no undisputed BPA at 5 in this draft. 5-10 to me seems like a waive of talent.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Everyone Benson plays with on the Ice becomes the 2nd best player on that team. Savoie and Geekie look great when Benson plays with them, and they don't look so well when they don't.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
If they take But in the first round top 15 with either pick, I’ll be pissed and have no more faith in this group
I don't know, I haven't seen enough from him, but from what I've seen he has a lot of the similar strengths and weaknesses that Dach had (not comparing quality of DY, just strengths and weaknesses).

I think there's a realistic path for him to become what Dach currently is, which at 15 OA isn't bad at all

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Smith is just as "low-motor" as Suzuki, except he plays higher up the ice knowing he has Leonard covering for him, which I'm pretty sure is by design having watched at least 20 NTDP games by now. Whoever is the first man back (most often Leonard, sometimes even Perreault) spends the remainder of the defensive shift as the C.

I also think Smith's forechecking is being overlooked. He forces a ton of turnovers by taking great angles, having excellent timing and anticipating play, on top of having a really active stick and solid hand-eye coordination. A big part of the reason that line is able to have such sustained OZ possessions is Smith closing down on defensemen and forcing them into turnovers before they can find the right outlet.

Leonard forces a lot of turnovers on the backcheck and in the DZ, but Smith has the best stick in the OZ and NZ. I do think he ends up on the RW though.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Smith is just as "low-motor" as Suzuki, except he plays higher up the ice knowing he has Leonard covering for him, which I'm pretty sure is by design having watched at least 20 NTDP games by now. Whoever is the first man back (most often Leonard, sometimes even Perreault) spends the remainder of the defensive shift as the C.

I also think Smith's forechecking is being overlooked. He forces a ton of turnovers by taking great angles, having excellent timing and anticipating play, on top of having a really active stick and solid hand-eye coordination. A big part of the reason that line is able to have such sustained OZ possessions is Smith closing down on defensemen and forcing them into turnovers before they can find the right outlet.

Leonard forces a lot of turnovers on the backcheck and in the DZ, but Smith has the best stick in the OZ and NZ. I do think he ends up on the RW though.

I think he probably ends up on the wing, too.. which is fine for us since we aren't in bad shape there with Suzuki/Dach. I think he'd make a great compliment to Suzuki long term and actually weaponize Suzuki's shot even more.

The U-18s should open some eyes, I think some things get passed around as fact without actually watching enough games to support the conclusion.

When there's something to play for, we will see the true competitive nature of these players.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Moore has struggled a lot in the past month or two.

Keeps skating himself into a corner, missing easy passes and turnign pucks over. His speed and motor are excellent, but I have trouble rating him too highly due to his poor execution. Has the right intentions, but you're really hoping for some serious development in offensive IQ for anything more than a checking line C.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
A play driver in the WHL yeah. 6 NHL drafted players and 6 players pt/game or better on that roster. Sorry, I'm going to play the odds that this undersized forward does not turn the needle in the NHL like Caufield has. Caufield is a rare case bud. I do think Benson has a great shot at making the NHL but his value to me is like a Jarvis type. You're trying to compare their styles too much.

5'-10" and 159 lbs. I'd take Michkov because I do think he can turn the offensive needle in the NHL but not Benson. We are trying to build a contender who can go on deep playoff runs, not a pretender.

If Benson becomes the undersized exception at the NHL level, sure, he can prove me wrong. I think there are other targets in that 5-8 waive we can take before him. There is no undisputed BPA at 5 in this draft. 5-10 to me seems like a waive of talent.
Caufield is a rare case, in that he was breaking records in his draft year and teams still didn’t want to touch him at the top of the draft.

Benson just has so many attributes that can improve an entire line and make him a cornerstone in constructing a team. I like players like Leonard and Barlow, but I see them as complementary players. Dvorsky and Reinbacher are intriguing as well, the latter especially because of organizational need, but in terms of high-end skill and processing I just like Benson the most.

Reactions: phillytennis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad