Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Great writeup, as usual. If you have a few minutes to spare, I’m wondering, how do you like Reinbacher? Watched a lot of film on him and he seems promising. Are there any guys he reminds you of in a way?
Do you like Nikishin? I think he should be the first defenseman to draft. And even may be Arizona or Flyers will do it.
And Detroit Red Crybabies will pick awesome center who would be drafted as 4-5 pick in normal year.

After top-5 Dvorsky Reinbacher Benson Leonard... Wodd should be the next "silver" top-5 in any order. May be Perreault, but I wasn't a fan of Perfetti three years ago, now I'm not a fan of Perreault.
And I think some gms and scouts can see players differently. Someone can easily draft defenseman higher than we can expect. Because defenseman from Europe are good this year. NA D class isn't really good.

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Gonna finally start looking at 2023 prospects. Hoping we find a gem in the 2nd round. We will see what happens as we get closer to the draft but I'm hoping we can draft a center with that pick. With a little luck maybe a player falls their and we get lucky Ike we did with Seamus Casey.

I just looked the Devils draft history since 2008 and we hardly ever draft forwards in the 2nd round. The only 2 in that 15 year span were Boqvist (2017) & Bastian (2016). Granted the last 6 or so years we haven't had many 2nd round picks to use from making alot of trades. I feel like with the amount of depth we have at defense in the pipeline we should 100% draft a forward. Preferably a center. But going BPA is always a smart move too.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I’m somewhat relieved that the Timo trade is now more certain. We had the league’s third best record, but both teams left in the West had worse records than us. I believe that means our pick is now fixed at 27 (i.e. starting at 30th for having the third best record, and then three teams with worse records slide behind us.)

If we do make the conference finals next year, our 2024 1st can be no better than 29th.

So essentially it will be two very late 1sts or a very late 1st and a 2nd, Mukhamadullin, and Zetterlund. A high price to pay, but before this result there was a slim possibility that we could make the conference finals this year and then bomb next year and miss out on a high first round pick. That would have been a disaster.

Reactions: My3Sons

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I’m somewhat relieved that the Timo trade is now more certain. We had the league’s third best record, but both teams left in the West had worse records than us. I believe that means our pick is now fixed at 27 (i.e. starting at 30th for having the third best record, and then three teams with worse records slide behind us.)

If we do make the conference finals next year, our 2024 1st can be no better than 29th.

So essentially it will be two very late 1sts or a very late 1st and a 2nd, Mukhamadullin, and Zetterlund. A high price to pay, but before this result there was a slim possibility that we could make the conference finals this year and then bomb next year and miss out on a high first round pick. That would have been a disaster.
the first for next season would have been top 10 protected if the devils made the conference finals this year

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
the first for next season would have been top 10 protected if the devils made the conference finals this year

I thought it might have had that kind of protection, I couldn’t remember.

But still, two things:

Losing a #11 - #15 pick would have been horrible. Not as bad as losing a top 10, to be sure, but horrible.

Also, if the pick went to 2025 it would have been unprotected. I know that’s the case with all protected picks, but it’s still scary.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Pick is still in flux. Colorado and Boston are locked in at 27 and 28 due to winning division and not making Conference Final. Sharks fans might be cheering for Seattle/Edmonton to advance as that would bump our pick up slightly higher.

17-x. Reverse order by record
x-28. Division winners who didn't make Conference Finals
29. Conference Finalist
30. Conference Finalist with better record
31. Stanley Cup Finalist
32. Stanley Cup Winner

Last year for example, Toronto picked before Calgary despite having a better record. So potentially that'd be like our pick and Vegas' if Edmonton advances:

24. Minnesota - 113 points
25. Toronto (=>Chicago to dump Mrazek) - 115 points
26. Calgary (=>Montreal for Toffoli) - won Pacific (111 points)
27. Carolina (=>Sharks eventually) - won Metro (116 points)
28. Florida (=>Buffalo for Reinhart) - won Atlantic (122 points)
29. Edmonton (=>Arizona to dump Kassian) - Conference Finalist (104 points)
30. NY Rangers (=>Winnipeg for Copp) - Conference Finalist (110 points)
31. Tampa Bay - Stanley Cup Finalist
32. Colorado (=>Arizona for Kuemper, =>Edmonton for draft day trade) - Stanley Cup winner

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

So the pick next year can be no lower than 29th? That's not bad.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Pick is still in flux. Colorado and Boston are locked in at 27 and 28 due to winning division and not making Conference Final. Sharks fans might be cheering for Seattle/Edmonton to advance as that would bump our pick up slightly higher.

17-x. Reverse order by record
x-28. Division winners who didn't make Conference Finals
29. Conference Finalist
30. Conference Finalist with better record
31. Stanley Cup Finalist
32. Stanley Cup Winner

Last year for example, Toronto picked before Calgary despite having a better record. So potentially that'd be like our pick and Vegas' if Edmonton advances:

24. Minnesota - 113 points
25. Toronto (=>Chicago to dump Mrazek) - 115 points
26. Calgary (=>Montreal for Toffoli) - won Pacific (111 points)
27. Carolina (=>Sharks eventually) - won Metro (116 points)
28. Florida (=>Buffalo for Reinhart) - won Atlantic (122 points)
29. Edmonton (=>Arizona to dump Kassian) - Conference Finalist (104 points)
30. NY Rangers (=>Winnipeg for Copp) - Conference Finalist (110 points)
31. Tampa Bay - Stanley Cup Finalist
32. Colorado (=>Arizona for Kuemper, =>Edmonton for draft day trade) - Stanley Cup winner

Thanks, I forgot that division winners are also dropped in the first round.

So the pick next year can be no lower than 29th? That's not bad.

Yeah, the 1st round pick in 2024 was conditional on us making the conference finals in 2023 or 2024. Since we didn’t make it this year, we either don’t make it next year (and the pick is a 2nd rather than a 1st) or we do make it, and it can’t be any earlier than 29.

Reactions: Mgd31 and Nubmer6

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One benefit of me still working from home is that I don't subject myself to local sports radio as much as I used to. Had it on just now and in a rarity they were briefly talking about hockey instead of Padres/NFL/NBA. Since SD is the Anaheim AHL affiliate, the hosts had to feign some sort of allegiance to the Ducks. One host kept on mixing up Connor Bedard and Connor McDavid. Neither host mentioned Adam Fantilli, Matvei Michkov, Leo Carlsson, etc. One specifically assumed it was like the usual (perceived) gap between #1 and #2 at the NBA Draft.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I would like to draft Quentin Musty or Danlil But so I can change my name to Musty Bahl’s or ButBahl.

Edit: I completely forgot we traded the first rounder this year. I’m used to having lottery picks and/or multiple firsts.

In that case I amend the pick to the second round and select D Beau Akey to have AkeyBahl’s

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I would like to draft Quentin Musty or Danlil But so I can change my name to Musty Bahl’s or ButBahl.

Edit: I completely forgot we traded the first rounder this year. I’m used to having lottery picks and/or multiple firsts.

In that case I amend the pick to the second round and select D Beau Akey to have AkeyBahl’s
Best Name Available: this is the correct way to draft.

Edit: though, do you go BNA in a vacuum, or do you do fit for team? But and Akey I think are top tier regardless, but Musty - feels like perhaps a reach for fit?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm always interested and I'll do my catching up soon and read all the draft guides.

But it's so different when you're picking top 10 and it means the fate of the franchise vs just stocking the cupboards.

Same here. This is billed as one of the strongest recent drafts, and yet I am still not that interested in the first round, since we don't currently have a pick.

I am interested in hearing about sleeper picks who might be available with our second round pick and later.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Same here. This is billed as one of the strongest recent drafts, and yet I am still not that interested in the first round, since we don't currently have a pick.

I am interested in hearing about sleeper picks who might be available with our second round pick and later.
100%. Our prospect/young player pool is stacked right now, but I’d like to add even more. Last year was pretty solid.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves Hey man, I know like most Devils fans were not terribly concerned about the draft, especially the top 10… But I’m just curious about what you think about Bobs top 12 list today? Will Smith passing both Carlsson and Michkov for 3rd, Reinbacher being the best defenseman at 10…

Kind of a wild list going on if you think about where everyone was mid season.
Very close between Carlsson and Smith, in my book. They're both terrific players who may have been considered as high as #1 overall last year.

Michkov is my #2 overall. The kid is just special. This is not a slight on Fantilli -- I think Fantilli is just as good as everyone else thinks he is. I just feel Michkov is even better. It would not surprise me if Michkov put up multiple 50+ goal seasons and 100+ point seasons in the NHL, he's just that gifted.

I probably agree that Reinbacher is the safest pick for a D in 2023, but I haven't decided yet if he's the best. He's terrific defensively, and projects to be a future shut-down stud. With a borderline-elite shot and excellent puck-handling and distribution skills, he's also going to generate some offense from the back-end. But he needs to improve his skating to be a true impact player. Right now, I see Reinbacher as a Jake Slavin-type, which is great. It's just when I hear talk of him being drafted in the #5-#7 range that I get skeptical. Guys like Michkov or Smith could be available there, and there's no way I pass on a potential franchise forward for Reinbacher. Again, while he's very good I see him as a Jake Sanderson-type or Miro Heiskanen-type, only without the elite skates. As such, I probably like Reinbacher in the #12-#15 range.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Very close between Carlsson and Smith, in my book. They're both terrific players who may have been considered as high as #1 overall last year.

Michkov is my #2 overall. The kid is just special. This is not a slight on Fantilli -- I think Fantilli is just as good as everyone else thinks he is. I just feel Michkov is even better. It would not surprise me if Michkov put up multiple 50+ goal seasons and 100+ point seasons in the NHL, he's just that gifted.

I probably agree that Reinbacher is the safest pick for a D in 2023, but I haven't decided yet if he's the best. He's terrific defensively, and projects to be a future shut-down stud. With a borderline-elite shot and excellent puck-handling and distribution skills, he's also going to generate some offense from the back-end. But he needs to improve his skating to be a true impact player. Right now, I see Reinbacher as a Jake Slavin-type, which is great. It's just when I hear talk of him being drafted in the #5-#7 range that I get skeptical. Guys like Michkov or Smith could be available there, and there's no way I pass on a potential franchise forward for Reinbacher. Again, while he's very good I see him as a Jake Sanderson-type or Miro Heiskanen-type, only without the elite skates. As such, I probably like Reinbacher in the #12-#15 range.
Man, you wanted Jiricek as #2 year ago. Reinbacher is a better version of him. Or at least on the level. He isn`t as good as Sanderson because skating separate them. Ofcourse if Michkov or Smith is available, there are less chances he will be drafted. But he could be drafted. And he could be drafted after 10 pick, because top-10 F-group is loaded. We never know what kind of stuff specific GM is looking for. Boucher was drafted by 10th pick.
If you want to argue with take, argue with author.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Man, you wanted Jiricek as #2 year ago. Reinbacher is a better version of him. Or at least on the level. He isn`t as good as Sanderson because skating separate them. Ofcourse if Michkov or Smith is available, there are less chances he will be drafted. But he could be drafted. And he could be drafted after 10 pick, because top-10 F-group is loaded. We never know what kind of stuff specific GM is looking for. Boucher was drafted by 10th pick.
If you want to argue with take, argue with author.
Oh!!!! It’s the Simon Edvinsson debate all over again! Like the good old days!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Oh!!!! It’s the Simon Edvinsson debate all over again! Like the good old days!
I like to see both as good as they are.
If we talk about Reinbacher he isn`t as good as Edvinsson as skater. I would put both Sanderson and Edvinsson over Reinbacher. May be there are more stick skills upside from Reinbacher, sometimes you can easily see how Hamilton could be not so good defenseman because of his skating. I`m not telling that Reinbacher`s skating and speed on the level of Hamilton(it`s not as bad overall), but you can understand why having good skating defenseman can help you on the both ends of the ice - Luke Hughes for example. Or you can see now why Sanderson is looking better than Drysdale overall, why Edvinsson and Luke could be better than Clarke etc. When the overall level is high, skating gives you huge gap. Of course you need good IQ, stick skills etc. Sometimes players with average or below average skating can blow the league like Robertson did, but it`s not very often. On the other hand skating in vacuum doesn`t give you much, player should understand NHL game, should win puck battles. Huge complicated system.

Anyway I prefer to use some kind of set of tools for specific role. I think Reinbacher has terrific floor. And if he can add in skating -his ceiling is huge too. Like I said - he looks similar to Nikishin on the ice. Very good defense, physical game, two way effort, forechecking, hard shot. Mr Perrault who could be drafted higher, has huge problems with two way game and skating. Guys like "Slavin" help you to win a lot of games, guys like Perrault can help to produce points, and you never know will he find a way to adapt his game on NHL level. Skating? Physical game? Two way game? Remember how I didn`t like Perfetti on 2020 draft? Same story here.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Without our usual top 7 draft pick its going to be hard to predict who we can get with this late 2nd rounder. Castron & Company will hopefully find us someone good. A legit 2nd line talent forward with good size would be ideal.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
With Dallas advancing, here's the order for the top two rounds (last four picks of the rounds still TBD) for your mock drafting needs:

1st Round
---------
1. Chicago
2. Anaheim
3. Columbus
4. San Jose
5. Montreal
6. Arizona
7. Philadelphia
8. Washington
9. Detroit
10. St. Louis