Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If the top Goalie of the draft was still around (Hrabel) at our pick would you guys be okay with it? Or is it the feeling that we've drafted enough goalies the past couple years that we should see what we have before drafting one in the early rounds?

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If the top Goalie of the draft was still around (Hrabel) at our pick would you guys be okay with it? Or is it the feeling that we've drafted enough goalies the past couple years that we should see what we have before drafting one in the early rounds?
Take him at that point....I think he will be gone though

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
dont think its fair to say top goalie. he might get the most votes to go first but i think the class is kinda open in this regard. theres probably an expected top 2/3 of hrabal, bjarnason, and maybe augustine, with another batch of guys like fowler, gajan, ratzlaff, etc. not terribly far behind, not to mention a few darkhorses like clara who could surprise and go earlier due to size, athleticism, and an elite glove. goalie drafting in particular feels so wonky come draft day

hrabal has tremendous tools and reaction speed but really struggles moving laterally and has some issue anticipating play. bjarnason pretty much checks the box for anything youre looking for in a starter (size, reflexes, tracking, etc) but has difficulties with his stance and a little bit of a spooky resume (granted he was a workhorse for a crap BWK team). augustine is about as focused and as technically sound of a netminder as you can find, though hes on the smaller end for goalies and is almost too rigid at times which is gonna get him beat on plays the other two likely wouldnt give up

that said, i think thered be clear starter potential in some of these options and would be fine with a goalie being the pick at 58, i just dont know if im over the moon on any one of them enough (or think theres enough separation amongst the group) to push for it

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Here's something that's tickled my mind.

Simon Nemec for 2OA (Adam Fantilli)

it would hurt and Nemec is definitely more of a sure thing at this point but I think Fantilli fixes more of our forward lineup issues then Nemec fixes the defence.

Basically Nemec is the cherry on top that is extremely nice but not ENTIRELY needed while Fantilli would be a cog in the machine that gets everything running smoothly.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

it would hurt and Nemec is definitely more of a sure thing at this point but I think Fantilli fixes more of our forward lineup issues then Nemec fixes the defence.

Basically Nemec is the cherry on top that is extremely nice but not ENTIRELY needed while Fantilli would be a cog in the machine that gets everything running smoothly.

That's a hard pass from the ducks, I'm sure

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

If Fantilli had been a few weeks older, he possibly would have gone before Slafkovsky last year. Anaheim's not as deep on the right side but their prospect D pipeline is pretty stacked to the point where Henry Thrun refused to sign with them.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I’m also very comfortable with Nico/Jack at C. Nemec on the back end with Luke and what we already have will make us have arguably the best D-core in the league someday.
I was thinking that Fantilli would basically take Haula's spot Faceoff for Hughes and then would be a Winger for Hughes. We resign Haula who can this time be the Permanent 3C instead of all the weird lines because Hughes can't take Faceoffs.

Clearly has become offseason/summer for me with these type of big brained thoughts.o_O

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

My guess is that they’d rather have Anderson from MTL for second overall.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Ducks say no. Fantilli is more valuable and Anaheim needs another top line center way more than they need a defenseman.

They finished this year sweeping the CHL Best Defensemen: OHL Most Outstanding Defenseman (Mintyukov, 2022 #10), WHL Top Defenseman (Zellwegar, 2021 #34), and QMJHL Defenseman of the Year (Luneau, 2022 #53).

And also QMJHL Best Defensive Defenseman of the Year (Hinds, 2021 #76).

Plus they have Drydale (2020 #6) and round that all out with even more solid defensive prospects (Warren, LaCombe, Moore, Helleson).

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

That is an easy no from Anaheim. I don't want to speak in absolutes, but not even mentioning Anaheim needing forwards much more than defensemen, Adam Fantilli is plain and simple just way better than Nemec. That's not to take anything away from Nemec, but Fantilli is a surefire #1 in most other drafts. Fantilli would have been the no-brainer #1 last year if he was born a month earlier, and the gap between himself and the rest of the 2022 field has only widened after the season he had this year.

I'm pretty confident that Anaheim would not accept anything less than Jack Hughes for that pick, and I think they'd probably still hesitate before making that deal. That's how good Fantilli is.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It’s hard pass from Anaheim and should be pass from us. Oilers with better offense svck, tampa with much better defense achieved something.
And Nemec has potential to be 60-75 points defenseman, who is good in defensive zone. It’s not less valuable.

I would argue top line centers are more valuable, they’re harder to get and it’s the most critical position.

We happen to be one of the few teams that have two young ones and that’s only because we drafted both of them 1OA.

It would never happen though, the top 5 picks in this draft aren’t going anywhere. Those GMs are dying to use those picks.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I would argue top line centers are more valuable, they’re harder to get and it’s the most critical position.

We happen to be one of the few teams that have two young ones and that’s only because we drafted both of them 1OA.

It would never happen though, the top 5 picks in this draft aren’t going anywhere. Those GMs are dying to use those picks.
Ofcourse. 1st line centers are most valuable. For those who don't have them. We have. So potential top pair defenseman/20+ min eater who can produce more than 60 points, is more valuable than potential top line winger(because center position is hold by Nico and Jack).
Reason why I told that its hard pass for Ducks and should be pass for us.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Stramel would probably be gone but if there would be good .....Mackinnon RHD might be a good pick.....I hope they find a way to add some picks if not hopefully do best with few we have....

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This is even more bullshit because the Hawks shouldn't have this pick. The NHL not stripping this piece of shit franchise of their picks was such bullshit
the kyle beach assault happened years ago and broke in october 21. nobody talked about removing chicago's lottery pick last season. why now?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
the kyle beach assault happened years ago and broke in october 21. nobody talked about removing chicago's lottery pick last season. why now?

People talked about them losing a 1st in 2021 when Chicago was only punished with a 2m fine. Their 2022 1st was already gone by then, so it would have been their 2023 1st.

They aren’t going to lose their pick retroactively but people will bitch about it because they could have lost it as part of their original punishment.

People are talk about it now because they won the draft. It’s true. People who point this out cracked the code.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
of course

our pipeline is still lacking at the position. who ever thinks schmid is a sure fire starter should read, what they thought about blackwood 3-4 years ago.

finally we can move nico to 3c

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Where's Steven Todd and My3Sons !? This draft got alot more interesting for me after the Severson trade.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Getting the 80th overall pick for basically free was a huge win. This is an extremely deep draft and there'll be plenty of interesting players available around at that pick.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
With Dallas advancing, here's the order for the top two rounds (last four picks of the rounds still TBD) for your mock drafting needs:

1st Round
---------
1. Chicago
2. Anaheim
3. Columbus
4. San Jose
5. Montreal
6. Arizona
7. Philadelphia
8. Washington
9. Detroit
10. St. Louis
11. Vancouver
12. Arizona (via Ottawa) [Chychrun]
13. Buffalo
14. Pittsburgh
15. Nashville
16. Calgary
---------
17. Detroit (via NYI/VAN) [Horvat/Hronek]
18. Winnipeg
19. Chicago (via Tampa Bay) [Hagel]
20. Seattle
21. Minnesota
22. Columbus (via Los Angeles) [Gavrikov]
23. NY Rangers
24. Nashville (via Edmonton) [Ekholm]
25. St. Louis (via Toronto) [O'Reilly]
26. San Jose (via New Jersey) [Meier]
27. Colorado
28. Toronto (via BOS/WSH) [Orlov/Sandin]
---------
xx. Montreal (via Florida) [Chiarot]
xx. St. Louis (via DAL/NYR) [Lundkvist/Tarasenko]
xx. Carolina
xx. Vegas

2nd Round
---------
33. Anaheim
34. Columbus
35. Chicago
36. San Jose
37. Montreal
38. Arizona
39. Buffalo (via Philadelphia) [Ristolainen]
40. Washington
41. Detroit
42. Detroit (via St. Louis) [Leddy]
43. Detroit (via Vancouver) [Hronek]
44. Chicago (via Ottawa) [Zaitsev]
45. Buffalo
46. Nashville (via Pittsburgh) [Granlund]
47. Nashville
48. Calgary
---------
49. NY Islanders
50. Seattle (via WPG/WSH) [Dillon/Vanecek]
51. Chicago (via Tampa Bay) [Seabrook]
52. Seattle
53. Minnesota
54. Los Angeles
55. Chicago (via NY Rangers) [Kane]
56. Edmonton
57. Seattle (via Toronto) [Giordano]
58. New Jersey
59. Anaheim (via Colorado) [Manson]
60. Anaheim (via Boston) [Lindholm]
---------
xx. Florida
xx. Dallas
xx. Carolina
xx. Minnesota (via VGK/BUF) [Eichel/Greenway]

Just to add a chunk after this morning's trade:

65. Anaheim
66. Columbus
67. Chicago
68. Nashville (via SJS) [Kunin]
69. Montreal
70. Arizona
71. Philadelphia
72. Arizona (via WSH) [Larsson]
73. Detroit
74. St. Louis
75. Vancouver
76. St. Louis (via OTT/TOR) [Murray/O'Reilly]
77. Vegas (via BUF) [Eichel]
78. Los Angeles (via PIT) [Carter]
79. Nashville
80. New Jersey (via CGY/SEA/CLB) [Jarnkrok/Bjorkstrand/Severson]

I had a futile two round mock about ready to post, but I guess I can expand it 80 for the lolz.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
What are the odds that Wahlberg falls to our pick in the second? Lipinski a decent fall back option?

Will Pitre stick at center?

Looking at someone like Drew Fortescue with that pick we got today. That would be cool

• Love
Reactions: Xirik

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
even if Hrabel’s gone, i’d love to come out of this draft with at least one goalie, preferably 2. The system is in a great spot right now for F and D and i’d love to have sone extra depth in net. There’s still no telling whether Daws or Schmid have true starting G potential.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
What are the odds that Wahlberg falls to our pick in the second? Lipinski a decent fall back option?

Will Pitre stick at center?

Looking at someone like Drew Fortescue with that pick we got today. That would be cool
wahlberg i dont expect to be there for us, theres just too many facets of his game that look like a late 1st/early 2nd project pick. inside driven, solid competitor in both zones but especially as a forechecker, moves pretty well, good size, fine but no standout offensive skill (maybe shooting?), pretty classic play facilitator/space creator. dont think hes the most adept thinker of the game and i doubt hes a big time producer unless hes stapled to someone high end, but he would definitely be a target id be on board with if he made it to 58. lawson crouse-y

lipinski on the other end i think 58 might be a little early for my taste (esp with the addition of pick 80 as another option) but i wouldnt necessarily hate it. he seems like a classic sens overdraft player so thankfully they moved their early picks lol really similar to one of their kids ostapchuk if youre familiar. lipinski is honestly a little bit of a tricky read for me. so much of his game is simple, responsible, low event, kinda low pace, N-S, get pucks on net type hockey that looks like a bottom 6 player, but every so often he'll fire some really nice shot off or totally dance a defender and you kinda go hmm. hes athletic, works hard, and while the points might not reflect it as much i think his game had some pretty solid progression over the season. i think if they both hit theyre serving similar roles for an nhl team, wahlberg is just an easier projection/more probable up the lineup pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad