Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
wahlberg i dont expect to be there for us, theres just too many facets of his game that look like a late 1st/early 2nd project pick. inside driven, solid competitor in both zones but especially as a forechecker, moves pretty well, good size, fine but no standout offensive skill (maybe shooting?), pretty classic play facilitator/space creator. dont think hes the most adept thinker of the game and i doubt hes a big time producer unless hes stapled to someone high end, but he would definitely be a target id be on board with if he made it to 58. lawson crouse-y

lipinski on the other end i think 58 might be a little early for my taste (esp with the addition of pick 80 as another option) but i wouldnt necessarily hate it. he seems like a classic sens overdraft player so thankfully they moved their early picks lol really similar to one of their kids ostapchuk if youre familiar. lipinski is honestly a little bit of a tricky read for me. so much of his game is simple, responsible, low event, kinda low pace, N-S, get pucks on net type hockey that looks like a bottom 6 player, but every so often he'll fire some really nice shot off or totally dance a defender and you kinda go hmm. hes athletic, works hard, and while the points might not reflect it as much i think his game had some pretty solid progression over the season. i think if they both hit theyre serving similar roles for an nhl team, wahlberg is just an easier projection/more probable up the lineup pick

Yeah, I’m not even playing that much attention to this draft and I know who Wahlberg is and he ain’t dropping to 58th.

He’s toolsy and has size and plays center, even if he has rocks for brains (not saying he does! didn’t scout the kid lol) he’s going sooner than later.

If Detroit keeps that run of 3 2nds and he’s somehow still there, they would likely grab him. (I really doubt they end up using 5 picks in the first 2 rounds this year though. I’m calling their trade for Carolina’s 1st now lol.)

I looked up Lipinski and agree that 58 is too early for pluggish overager with iffy skating. We need more offensive in our prospect pool.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Came across an interesting name who might be in the #80 range. RW Michael Emerson went undrafted last year (4 goals in 36 USHL games) then potted 30 goals in 60 games this year. Some local ties to New Jersey as well. Just on paper that reminded me a bit of Blake Coleman being a surprise 3rd rounder for us in 2011 as a second year draft eligible.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thought I had a two round mock draft ready, but then I got information overload post-combine.

Listening to a podcast with the Kings' head scout Mark Yannetti. He told a funny story about the team interviewing a prospect at a combine. One of the scouts (assuming European, English second language) wanted to compliment the player for his thighs but got flustered as he was pointing and said "you have a nice big piece of meat." The room erupted in laughter as did the prospect who proceeded to do a Sharon Stone Basic Instinct leg cross.

Yannetti didn't say who the prospect was but he said he had a good NHL career. He also said that the Kings staff was completely off for the next few interviews because they kept making fun of the other scout. He felt bad for those prospects who had no idea what they were laughing about.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I`m close to have top-30 and have my top-20. But I can`t do my "mock draft", because I`m off from other teams views and needs this year. and this draft is so deep and not obvious, so I see a lot of players can be picked even in the end of top-10 or in the third ten. I`m just waiting before Fitz will do or will not do something or people start to talk about it, because I feel like Devils finally don`t care about draft.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Came across an interesting name who might be in the #80 range. RW Michael Emerson went undrafted last year (4 goals in 36 USHL games) then potted 30 goals in 60 games this year. Some local ties to New Jersey as well. Just on paper that reminded me a bit of Blake Coleman being a surprise 3rd rounder for us in 2011 as a second year draft eligible.
That Chicago team was stacked. At least from a production stand point. Dominating the USHL scoring leaderboard.

Another 18 year old on that team, Nick Moldenhauer put up similar(a little better) #'s as Emerson, and he went in the 3rd round last year.

Jayden Perry put up really good #'s and this is his reg draft season.

Mack Celebrini, a 16 year old, looks like he was their best player.

Goalies had meh numbers, but still a ton of wins, so not sure if they outplayed mediocre goal tending, or played a run and gun style.

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

While fulfilling media requests during last week's NHL scouting combine in Buffalo, Will Smith found himself singing the theme song from the 1990s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, which starred his namesake.

He didn't miss a beat.

"I know the song," the U.S. National Team Development Program centre said with a smile. "It comes up a lot."

As a rising star in the 2023 draft class, the “Fresh Prince” label seems to fit.

"It's getting funny because commentators love it," the Lexington, Mass., native said. "At games, at away rinks, and on Twitter, they all like to put their own little play on my name."

....if only for the excuse to retell an old story from when I watched a WHL game with Spokane when they had Liam Stewart (son of Rod Stewart and model Rachel Hunter). Stewart took a penalty and the Everett arena started playing "Stacy's Mom." It took me a moment but I realized that wasn't a coincidence as Rachel Hunter was the mom in the music video. Then I overheard some locals laughing and one of them said "Remember his rookie year and we played nothing but Rod Stewart all night?"

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Finally started digging into this draft class. It's awesome, so many interesting young players with one or two elite skills but question marks. Really interesting guys will be available for the Devils' 2nd and 3rd rounders I think, very happy about that Severson trade.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I have a feeling how the top 3 is going to go.

After that, feels really wide open (feels like a lot of teams could talk themselves into or out of michkov). There's low key a ton of guys I wouldn't really be surprised to see go in the first 12 picks.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

After that, feels really wide open (feels like a lot of teams could talk themselves into or out of michkov). There's low key a ton of guys I wouldn't really be surprised to see go in the first 12 picks.
I'd still be surprised if Michkov doesn't go top 4 along with Bedard, Fantili and Carlsson. I see a pretty significant drop off after those 4 players and don't think there's a good alternative worth it for passing on Michkov.

I do agree that there's a ton of players that could go top 12. After the Big 4 the draft class really opens up and there's not a significant difference in talent from what a team will get around pick 5 to what a team will get around the mid to late 1st round area. I have guys like Simashev, Willander, Gulyayev and Wood all around or in my top 10 and I've seen all these guys on different lists ranked towards the end of the 1st round and into the 2nd round area.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'm personally a huge Michkov believer. I just think he has it. And then, factor in he's gonna develop elsewhere, so you can keep sucking until he comes over, I think it's a really nice opportunity for a bunch of teams. I'd personally probably take him over Carlsson, just because I think he has an unbelievable ceiling.

I just think NHL teams are conservative and GMs doubly so. They might not want to wait.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm personally a huge Michkov believer. I just think he has it. And then, factor in he's gonna develop elsewhere, so you can keep sucking until he comes over, I think it's a really nice opportunity for a bunch of teams. I'd personally probably take him over Carlsson, just because I think he has an unbelievable ceiling.

I just think NHL teams are conservative and GMs doubly so. They might not want to wait.
You don`t need to be believer. He has it. He is 1b on this draft.

I'd still be surprised if Michkov doesn't go top 4 along with Bedard, Fantili and Carlsson. I see a pretty significant drop off after those 4 players and don't think there's a good alternative worth it for passing on Michkov.

I do agree that there's a ton of players that could go top 12. After the Big 4 the draft class really opens up and there's not a significant difference in talent from what a team will get around pick 5 to what a team will get around the mid to late 1st round area. I have guys like Simashev, Willander, Gulyayev and Wood all around or in my top 10 and I've seen all these guys on different lists ranked towards the end of the 1st round and into the 2nd round area.

I think guys like Leonard, Benson and Smith are very talented. Obviously, have tools, talent, way of thinking for their job. I think Simashev is lock to be top-4. Or close to, but I think he is lock. Reinbacher is worser player than most of defensemen who was drafted in top-6 in the last 4 drafts. May be isn`t as good as two way D as Edvinsson, Nemec and Seider or as good as offensive D as Luke, but he isnt far away from Jiricek or Drysdale or he is better.
That`s ,y top-9 with top-4 of Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli and Carlsson.

I like Moore. Yager, Barlow, Heidt group - great two way players with good overall game.
I don`t have Wood in my top-10. I understand the ceiling, but his flaw is one of the hardest to fix. I think he will compensate it, but we are talking about future real potential. I have Wood in group of guys with low floor high ceiling(and I don`t think that Moore group has lower ceiling). Wood, Crystall, Musty has great potential. And Danielson. I like Musty more than others, because he has skating, iq, all the tools but need to work more as 200 foot player. Danielson is high praised, but I`m not a huge fan, I see a player with great tools, but he lose a lot of tempo, doing by himself, isn`t great as positional player and I think it hardly separate him from top-13. I can add ASP to this group, but I`m just not a fan of defensemen with this level of defensive skills. On the other hand I like Wallinder package and I would put him above ASP.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Mock 2.0

1st Round
---------
1. Chicago - C Connor Bedard
2. Anaheim - C Adam Fantilli
3. Columbus - C Leo Carlsson - Their head amateur scout is based in Michigan, so Smith here wouldn't be shocking
4. San Jose - C Will Smith - Plenty of Boston connections between Smith/Grier
5. Montreal - RW Matvei Michkov - Rumor mill says they like Leonard/Reinbacher, but in the end I think they go upside
6. Arizona - RW Ryan Leonard
7. Philadelphia - RD David Reinbacher - New management has vowed to build from back end out
8. Washington - C Dalibor Dvorsky - Life after Backstrom/Kuznetsov about to begin
9. Detroit - LW Zach Benson
10. St. Louis - C Oliver Moore

*** Vancouver trades #11 to Nashville for #15 and #47. Home crowd pop **

11. Nashville (via Vancouver) - LW Gabriel Perreault - late riser, dad once played in Nashville.
12. Arizona (via Ottawa) - LW Colby Barlow - Mildly upset they can't reunite Leonard with Perreault. Maybe some consideration for ASP here.
13. Buffalo - LD Dmitri Simashev - Word is that they like him a lot.

*** Pittsburgh trades #14 and C/LW Mikael Granlund to Chicago for #19 ***

14. Chicago (via Pittsburgh) - RW Matthew Wood - Blackhawks get Bedard's former childhood roommate. Dubas and Davidson linked up last year on a similar cap dump deal.
15. Vancouver (via Nashville) - RD Tom Willander - Mild surprise if he's taken before ASP
16. Calgary - C Nate Danielson - Craig Conroy's first draft as GM, takes a player similar to him.
17. Detroit (via NYI/VAN) - C Brayden Yager - Yzerman picked another smallish guy named Brayden from Moose Jaw once, worked out well.
18. Winnipeg - RD Axel Sandin-Pellikka - Retool begins in Winnipeg.
19. Pittsburgh (via TBL/CHI) - LW Daniil But - Pittsburgh gets a top 10 talent, maybe won't have a ton of overlap with Crosby/Malkin.
20. Seattle - LW Samuel Honzek
21. Minnesota - C Calem Ritchie - Took a couple wings last year, still looking for elusive top line center.
22. Philadelphia (via LAK/CLB) - C Riley Heidt - Undersized playmaker tied with Bedard for most assists in the WHL.
23. NY Rangers - C Otto Stenberg
24. Nashville (via Edmonton) - LD Mikhail Gulyayev
25. St. Louis (via Toronto) - LW Eduard Sale
26. San Jose (via New Jersey) - G Michael Hrabal - Sharks maybe reach here knowing he might not last until their next pick at #36

*** Colorado trades #27 to Anaheim for #33 and #59 ***

27. Anaheim (via Colorado) - RW Gavin Brindley - Bring in Fantilli's Michigan teammate. Avs pick up an extra selection after emptying out cupboard for Cup.

*** Toronto trades #28 to Chicago for #35 and #55 ***

28. Chicago via BOS/WSH/TOR) - LW Andrew Cristall - Chicago gets Connor Bedard's other childhood best friend. Leafs pick up an extra pick.
29. St. Louis (via DAL/NYR) - RD Oliver Bonk
30. Carolina - LW Quintin Musty
31. Montreal (via Florida) - C David Edstrom
32. Vegas - RW Jayden Perron

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

I think guys like Leonard, Benson and Smith are very talented. Obviously, have tools, talent, way of thinking for their job. I think Simashev is lock to be top-4. Or close to, but I think he is lock. Reinbacher is worser player than most of defensemen who was drafted in top-6 in the last 4 drafts. May be isn`t as good as two way D as Edvinsson, Nemec and Seider or as good as offensive D as Luke, but he isnt far away from Jiricek or Drysdale or he is better.

I like Moore. Yager, Barlow, Heidt group - great two way players with good overall game.
I don`t have Wood in my top-10. I understand the ceiling, but his flaw is one of the hardest to fix. I think he will compensate it, but we are talking about future real potential. I have Wood in group of guys with low floor high ceiling(and I don`t think that Moore group has lower ceiling). Wood, Crystall, Musty has great potential. And Danielson. I like Musty more than others, because he has skating, iq, all the tools but need to work more as 200 foot player. Danielson is high praised, but I`m not a huge fan, I see a player with great tools, but he lose a lot of tempo, doing by himself, isn`t great as positional player and I think it hardly separate him from top-13. I can add ASP to this group, but I`m just not a fan of defensemen with this level of defensive skills. On the other hand I like Wallinder package and I would put him above ASP.
I'm much lower on Smith and Leonard than the general consensus. Anytime I watch USNTDP I come away much more impressed with Oliver Moore than anyone on the top line.

I'd also say the defense in this class is very underrated. I'd have all of Willander, Simashev, Gulyayev, Reinbacher and ASP in my top 15.

I understand the question marks surrounding Wood. But despite the flaws I see a player with big time offensive tools and the performances to back it up. Think he'll end up being one of the better point producers out of the entire draft.

Agree with you on Danielson, Solid straight line player but I didn't see much offensive skill and his defense and motor are a bit overrated. Seems like a very vanilla player based on my viewings of him.

I'd also agree that Willander is the better prospect vs ASP. In fact I'd probably rank Willander as the best defensive prospect in the draft class, although it is a very tight race for that spot.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

This is a fascinating draft for the depth, I’m more curious about who pops out of the guys coming after the top guys.

But, Perrault, Musty, Heidt, Cristall, Sawchyn.

There’s a lot of guys who could go all over the place and that’s just forwards.

The goalie shortage might juice goalies and the top couple are pretty close.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Mock 2.0

1st Round
---------
1. Chicago - C Connor Bedard
2. Anaheim - C Adam Fantilli
3. Columbus - C Leo Carlsson - Their head amateur scout is based in Michigan, so Smith here wouldn't be shocking
4. San Jose - C Will Smith - Plenty of Boston connections between Smith/Grier
5. Montreal - RW Matvei Michkov - Rumor mill says they like Leonard/Reinbacher, but in the end I think they go upside
6. Arizona - RW Ryan Leonard
7. Philadelphia - RD David Reinbacher - New management has vowed to build from back end out
8. Washington - C Dalibor Dvorsky - Life after Backstrom/Kuznetsov about to begin
9. Detroit - LW Zach Benson
10. St. Louis - C Oliver Moore

*** Vancouver trades #11 to Nashville for #15 and #47. Home crowd pop **

11. Nashville (via Vancouver) - LW Gabriel Perreault - late riser, dad once played in Nashville.
12. Arizona (via Ottawa) - LW Colby Barlow - Mildly upset they can't reunite Leonard with Perreault. Maybe some consideration for ASP here.
13. Buffalo - LD Dmitri Simashev - Word is that they like him a lot.

*** Pittsburgh trades #14 and C/LW Mikael Granlund to Chicago for #19 ***

14. Chicago (via Pittsburgh) - RW Matthew Wood - Blackhawks get Bedard's former childhood roommate. Dubas and Davidson linked up last year on a similar cap dump deal.
15. Vancouver (via Nashville) - RD Tom Willander - Mild surprise if he's taken before ASP
16. Calgary - C Nate Danielson - Craig Conroy's first draft as GM, takes a player similar to him.
17. Detroit (via NYI/VAN) - C Brayden Yager - Yzerman picked another smallish guy named Brayden from Moose Jaw once, worked out well.
18. Winnipeg - RD Axel Sandin-Pellikka - Retool begins in Winnipeg.
19. Pittsburgh (via TBL/CHI) - LW Daniil But - Pittsburgh gets a top 10 talent, maybe won't have a ton of overlap with Crosby/Malkin.
20. Seattle - LW Samuel Honzek
21. Minnesota - C Calem Ritchie - Took a couple wings last year, still looking for elusive top line center.
22. Philadelphia (via LAK/CLB) - C Riley Heidt - Undersized playmaker tied with Bedard for most assists in the WHL.
23. NY Rangers - C Otto Stenberg
24. Nashville (via Edmonton) - LD Mikhail Gulyayev
25. St. Louis (via Toronto) - LW Eduard Sale
26. San Jose (via New Jersey) - G Michael Hrabal - Sharks maybe reach here knowing he might not last until their next pick at #36

*** Colorado trades #27 to Anaheim for #33 and #59 ***

27. Anaheim (via Colorado) - RW Gavin Brindley - Bring in Fantilli's Michigan teammate. Avs pick up an extra selection after emptying out cupboard for Cup.

*** Toronto trades #28 to Chicago for #35 and #55 ***

28. Chicago via BOS/WSH/TOR) - LW Andrew Cristall - Chicago gets Connor Bedard's other childhood best friend. Leafs pick up an extra pick.
29. St. Louis (via DAL/NYR) - RD Oliver Bonk
30. Carolina - LW Quintin Musty
31. Montreal (via Florida) - C David Edstrom
32. Vegas - RW Jayden Perron
Detroit with Benson and Yager. Buffalo with Simashev. Mtl with Michkov. Why you are giving huge assets to the future eastern big teams?

im not sold on But as top 10 talent. I really like him, he skates pretty well for his size and he will add muscle that will help on the edges and in clinches, but I just didn’t see enough smarts from him. I think he should be good complimentary player on the slot and loorking for a shot, but he isn’t looking like the first man on your line. Top 20 is pretty appropriate.

I'm much lower on Smith and Leonard than the general consensus. Anytime I watch USNTDP I come away much more impressed with Oliver Moore than anyone on the top line.

I'd also say the defense in this class is very underrated. I'd have all of Willander, Simashev, Gulyayev, Reinbacher and ASP in my top 15.

I understand the question marks surrounding Wood. But despite the flaws I see a player with big time offensive tools and the performances to back it up. Think he'll end up being one of the better point producers out of the entire draft.

Agree with you on Danielson, Solid straight line player but I didn't see much offensive skill and his defense and motor are a bit overrated. Seems like a very vanilla player based on my viewings of him.

I'd also agree that Willander is the better prospect vs ASP. In fact I'd probably rank Willander as the best defensive prospect in the draft class, although it is a very tight race for that spot.
I like Leonard a lot. He has a role as potential first liner and he has everything for that - awesome shot, skating, speed, puck protection, mobility with the puck, feeling of the open ereas, he is even good as passer, not a playmaker, but it’s not his role. He has everything for being good nhler and need to just being better and stronger. Perrault on the other hand should work a lot on different things of the game. Smith as a center should cover much more, but he has a talent. Just very raw. But he isnt as good as Leonard as defensive forward, his 200 foot game and forechecking game isn’t there, reason why I like Leonard more in the moment. In theory Smith has higher ceiling, but players like Leonard make great impact in modern NHL.

Olivier Moore is good two way player, his skat helps him a lot, I just don’t see offensive IQ as Smith and Leonard have. Moore is something in the middle of Larkin and Coleman. But we never know how he will develop his game. He needs to work better with the puck if he wants to be legit first line lead player and I don’t see it for. Complimentary first liner or lead second liner - easily.

Overall I’m excited about what American hockey program is doing. In the country where 3 major sports eats most of the talents and fockin soccer starting to win the race, it’s awesome what kind of players this program graduates every year.

I don’t have Gulyayev and ASP in my top 15, because I was never a fan of offensive oriented defensemen, I ranked Sanderson as one of my/my favorite player of the 2020 draft/absolutely top-4 player of the draft, absolutely higher than Drysdale, I liked Edvinsson more than Hughes, and now I like how both players looks. So I have Reinbacher and Simashev in my top 10, and Wallinder as top-16 player.
I rank austriakianyan as number one defenseman, but I like Simashev more. The question is his shot, where Reinbacher is obviously better. I like his physicality and gap control. He isn’t as mobile as Simashev and Wallinder.
But tools are on the Simashevs side, and defensive iq is huge. I saw moments in KHL where he commanded escape in situation two against two and did it smartly and exactly how it should be to separate opponents. He should be more proactive in gap control. I have the same questions with him as I had with Nemec and now Nemec is one of my favorite nhl prospects. It’s very fixable, especially with the level of Simashev iq and level of overall competence.
Wallinder isn’t Grans/Boqvist type of Swedish defenseman, but still isn’t Edvinsson. Of course he is great with the puck, and in his own zone he looks better than what I saw from his brother(they are brothers, right?) but I still have questions in details. Ceiling is big. May be higher than Reinbacher but the floor is very important for defenseman.

Wood should figure it out one way or another, may be as not the best two way forward. But I like two way forwards with good skating. This is what I’m asking from nhl players especially centers and defensemen. Most part of the game is going under pressure, on the boards, in tranches. It’s very important to help with different transition. And I have a lot of question about how Wood will do all of the named parts or at least the big amount of them. I still think he is very productive nhler potentiall, just far away from my type now. If he will add mobility and speed somehow - Tage 2.0 incoming.

And I agree that people lost their mind with forward group, I understand why, there 4-5 players who would be consensus number one or at least head to head runner for number one. And I really like top 20 forwards group. But defensive prospects are very good too.
I would love if we had first round pick to spend it on Simashev or Wallinder. Both can theoretically fall into 20th or even 30th.

This is a fascinating draft for the depth, I’m more curious about who pops out of the guys coming after the top guys.

But, Perrault, Musty, Heidt, Cristall, Sawchyn.

There’s a lot of guys who could go all over the place and that’s just forwards.

The goalie shortage might juice goalies and the top couple are pretty close.
I like But. Made a breakdown before. I believe he could be very productive and proactive center for playmaking winger.

Not a fan of Perrault. And Crystall. Absolutely not my type of players. I understand the way how they can come to nhl and be a big part of offensive force, but both needs a lot of shoulders to stand on.

Didn’t saw enough of Sawchyn to make conclusion. WHL was huge this year.

Heidt is one of my favorite offensive prospects this year. Two way player with good motor and IQ. Covers a lot of ice. May be your second liner, but he is what makes your depth better.

And I like Musty. A lot. He has raw potential to be top-5 forward of the draft. And it’s not the case of Wood where the guy should work on his skates. Musty is a good skater, he is big player with great playmaking mind and hands. He could dominate the league by physicality but he did it with his skills. On the other hand he isnt consistent as defensive/two way forward without the puck. But he is my number one in group of “very talented players with issues”.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Detroit with Benson and Yager. Buffalo with Simashev. Mtl with Michkov. Why you are giving huge assets to the future eastern big teams?

im not sold on But as top 10 talent. I really like him, he skates pretty well for his size and he will add muscle that will help on the edges and in clinches, but I just didn’t see enough smarts from him. I think he should be good complimentary player on the slot and loorking for a shot, but he isn’t looking like the first man on your line. Top 20 is pretty appropriate.

I like Leonard a lot. He has a role as potential first liner and he has everything for that - awesome shot, skating, speed, puck protection, mobility with the puck, feeling of the open ereas, he is even good as passer, not a playmaker, but it’s not his role. He has everything for being good nhler and need to just being better and stronger. Perrault on the other hand should work a lot on different things of the game. Smith as a center should cover much more, but he has a talent. Just very raw. But he isnt as good as Leonard as defensive forward, his 200 foot game and forechecking game isn’t there, reason why I like Leonard more in the moment. In theory Smith has higher ceiling, but players like Leonard make great impact in modern NHL.

Olivier Moore is good two way player, his skat helps him a lot, I just don’t see offensive IQ as Smith and Leonard have. Moore is something in the middle of Larkin and Coleman. But we never know how he will develop his game. He needs to work better with the puck if he wants to be legit first line lead player and I don’t see it for. Complimentary first liner or lead second liner - easily.

Overall I’m excited about what American hockey program is doing. In the country where 3 major sports eats most of the talents and fockin soccer starting to win the race, it’s awesome what kind of players this program graduates every year.

I don’t have Gulyayev and ASP in my top 15, because I was never a fan of offensive oriented defensemen, I ranked Sanderson as one of my/my favorite player of the 2020 draft/absolutely top-4 player of the draft, absolutely higher than Drysdale, I liked Edvinsson more than Hughes, and now I like how both players looks. So I have Reinbacher and Simashev in my top 10, and Wallinder as top-16 player.
I rank austriakianyan as number one defenseman, but I like Simashev more. The question is his shot, where Reinbacher is obviously better. I like his physicality and gap control. He isn’t as mobile as Simashev and Wallinder.
But tools are on the Simashevs side, and defensive iq is huge. I saw moments in KHL where he commanded escape in situation two against two and did it smartly and exactly how it should be to separate opponents. He should be more proactive in gap control. I have the same questions with him as I had with Nemec and now Nemec is one of my favorite nhl prospects. It’s very fixable, especially with the level of Simashev iq and level of overall competence.
Wallinder isn’t Grans/Boqvist type of Swedish defenseman, but still isn’t Edvinsson. Of course he is great with the puck, and in his own zone he looks better than what I saw from his brother(they are brothers, right?) but I still have questions in details. Ceiling is big. May be higher than Reinbacher but the floor is very important for defenseman.

Wood should figure it out one way or another, may be as not the best two way forward. But I like two way forwards with good skating. This is what I’m asking from nhl players especially centers and defensemen. Most part of the game is going under pressure, on the boards, in tranches. It’s very important to help with different transition. And I have a lot of question about how Wood will do all of the named parts or at least the big amount of them. I still think he is very productive nhler potentiall, just far away from my type now. If he will add mobility and speed somehow - Tage 2.0 incoming.

And I agree that people lost their mind with forward group, I understand why, there 4-5 players who would be consensus number one or at least head to head runner for number one. And I really like top 20 forwards group. But defensive prospects are very good too.
I would love if we had first round pick to spend it on Simashev or Wallinder. Both can theoretically fall into 20th or even 30th.

I like But. Made a breakdown before. I believe he could be very productive and proactive center for playmaking winger.

Not a fan of Perrault. And Crystall. Absolutely not my type of players. I understand the way how they can come to nhl and be a big part of offensive force, but both needs a lot of shoulders to stand on.

Didn’t saw enough of Sawchyn to make conclusion. WHL was huge this year.

Heidt is one of my favorite offensive prospects this year. Two way player with good motor and IQ. Covers a lot of ice. May be your second liner, but he is what makes your depth better.

And I like Musty. A lot. He has raw potential to be top-5 forward of the draft. And it’s not the case of Wood where the guy should work on his skates. Musty is a good skater, he is big player with great playmaking mind and hands. He could dominate the league by physicality but he did it with his skills. On the other hand he isnt consistent as defensive/two way forward without the puck. But he is my number one in group of “very talented players with issues”.

agree with a lot here. ill drop my rankings the week of the draft and there will definitely be some overlap. i think the notion of it being a bad year for defenders is very NA-influenced, a lot of these european defenders do look good. i also think next year likely being so top heavy on D has people deliberately talking themselves out of this class

to add, sawchyn is a nice 2nd round maybe late 1st target. good motor, good competitor, amazing puck skills, ability to read play very effectively. has a bit of snarl to him too, definitely pushes back on guys. kinda reminds me of the frost pick philly made a while back, you're banking on the fact that he was buried on a really deep team, not getting the best linemates or a lot of special teams deployment, and ultimately wasnt able to showcase his true capabilities. he had some really nice flashes of offensive creativity, some impressive assertiveness in his own zone at times too, but nothing really was channeled consistently (plus he can get too cute with his stickhandling). i know the EP team is incredibly high on him

its funny, i think the only thing we really disagree on is heidt. i totally see the image of him you have, and he really is a great passer, but i think his overall compete is actually kinda poor at times. really, really apathetic on the backcheck much too often. also some concern with how heavily reliant he was on the PP to produce (which i extend to ziemmer too), the two of them just didnt impress me that much at even strength. to your credit, though, i know he can have that jump in his step offensively, and i think that makes the projection of him channeling a better defensive zone effort much easier to make than for other kids who might display a similar lack of energy at times

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
agree with a lot here. ill drop my rankings the week of the draft and there will definitely be some overlap. i think the notion of it being a bad year for defenders is very NA-influenced, a lot of these european defenders do look good. i also think next year likely being so top heavy on D has people deliberately talking themselves out of this class

to add, sawchyn is a nice 2nd round maybe late 1st target. good motor, good competitor, amazing puck skills, ability to read play very effectively. has a bit of snarl to him too, definitely pushes back on guys. kinda reminds me of the frost pick philly made a while back, you're banking on the fact that he was buried on a really deep team, not getting the best linemates or a lot of special teams deployment, and ultimately wasnt able to showcase his true capabilities. he had some really nice flashes of offensive creativity, some impressive assertiveness in his own zone at times too, but nothing really was channeled consistently (plus he can get too cute with his stickhandling). i know the EP team is incredibly high on him

its funny, i think the only thing we really disagree on is heidt. i totally see the image of him you have, and he really is a great passer, but i think his overall compete is actually kinda poor at times. really, really apathetic on the backcheck much too often. also some concern with how heavily reliant he was on the PP to produce (which i extend to ziemmer too), the two of them just didnt impress me that much at even strength. to your credit, though, i know he can have that jump in his step offensively, and i think that makes the projection of him channeling a better defensive zone effort much easier to make than for other kids who might display a similar lack of energy at times

Overall I’m bot so confident in NA juniors(outside ustntdp) because most of them play I watch in play off, some parts of games.
I like the way Height is operating the game.and motor really helps him. when I compare him with others from my “two way group” I see IQ in playmaking, skating and working on cyclin, he is in the game. Good positional game in both zones. And I believe I should watch more because you are not taking “apathetic part” from nowhere. Shame on me I missed it. And if you agree with me a lot, it’s a mark of similar views.

Your description of Sawchyn looks like prototypical player for EP. Even if I don’t agree with them often, need to watch him more, because flashes are flashy.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Would be amazing if we get a blue chip goalie or center in the 2nd round. This is a draft where we don't have the usual top 10 pick. The scouts need to earn their payday this draft. The system is still strong but alot of players from the last 3 to 5 drafts have basically shown they aren't NHL material or atleast not going to get a shot here.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Would be amazing if we get a blue chip goalie or center in the 2nd round. This is a draft where we don't have the usual top 10 pick. The scouts need to earn their payday this draft. The system is still strong but alot of players from the last 3 to 5 drafts have basically shown they aren't NHL material or atleast not going to get a shot here.
uhh, what? just the last 4 drafts players from the 3rd round or later we have gritsyuk, sharangovich, schmid, daws, vilen, filmon, thompson, edwards and clarke - that’s pretty damn good nhl potential with some very high upside players from late rounds and plenty of tbd. our scouts have done an excellent job

our last 5 years of round 3 or later will probably have more success than lou’s first round drafting from 2005-2015

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

I agree. This draft reminds me a lot of the McDavid draft. There’s the obvious two at the top and then a big mess of really talented players. The whole thing could go off the rails by pick 3.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
uhh, what? just the last 4 drafts players from the 3rd round or later we have gritsyuk, sharangovich, schmid, daws, vilen, filmon, thompson, edwards and clarke - that’s pretty damn good nhl potential with some very high upside players from late rounds and plenty of tbd. our scouts have done an excellent job

our last 5 years of round 3 or later will probably have more success than lou’s first round drafting from 2005-2015

To be fair this is the last 5 drafts - 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022. I do think the scouts are doing a pretty decent job in the late rounds but there are a fair share of superbusts as well. Vilen and Malek going from also-rans to decent prospects has me more positive about the Devils' amateur scouting, but I'm still a little skeptical of some of what they are doing at the draft (esp lack of trades up/down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad