Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
People eat that shit up now it would be a massive draw and way better then the tv fiascos when they showed the winners a couple years ago weekes tonight and last year knowing the order before it was done.

The niche amount of draft geeks would love it. The average fan......I dunno. Unfortunately the main boards are reminder about how dumb and loud people have gotten over the years.

I was annoyed for the 2017 Draft reveal when they were still showing reaction shots but it was already revealed that New Jersey (#5), Dallas (#8), and Philadelphia (#13) were in the top three. They showed a camera of Vancouver (#3 pre-lotto) fans when Bill Daly showed their logo for #6 and they all reacted when they should have been able to deduce they'd been bumped down.

My college frat brother is with thr accounting firm that does thr NBA drawing. Not sure if it is the same one that does thr NHL? He was on the NBA show a couple of years ago and admitted he knew the winners before they were revealed on tv. I recall joking with him that I’d know the NBA draft lottery was rigged if the Mets won it.

Ernst & Young does the NBA as well, with the same process and the same 14 balls/contraption but with different odds.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Looking at options for our 2nd round pick, there are 3 interesting Slovakian forwards that have all played with Nemec that should all be drafted around the 2nd-3rd round area in Alex Ciernik, Martin Misiak and Juraj Pekarcik. All three play different games but all have the speed and pace that project well with how New Jersey wants to play. Pekarcik and Misiak in particular are extremely effective on the forecheck and play a physical style that the Devils could use more of in their system.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Would have preferred Bedard to end up in California (especially SJ) but happy that the prime Devils won't have to battle in the playoffs against potential powerhouse built around Bedard (which would be cool to watch but would decrease our likelihood of winning the cup).

And also I'm very curious what happens with Blackhawks now that they got Bedard. Do Kane and Toews come back to play with the generational prospect?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Would have preferred Bedard to end up in California (especially SJ) but happy that the prime Devils won't have to battle in the playoffs against potential powerhouse built around Bedard (which would be cool to watch but would decrease our likelihood of winning the cup).

And also I'm very curious what happens with Blackhawks now that they got Bedard. Do Kane and Toews come back to play with the generational prospect?

They went out of their way to announce that Toews had played his last game with the franchise. I figure Kane will want to use his last years on a more competitive team. Even with Bedard, Chicago will probably be a couple years away. Kane coming back might be like Ziggy Palffy signing with Pittsburgh to play with an 18 year old Sidney Crosby. Took a few years for the Pens to turn a corner and they already had Malkin before Crosby. Chicago is almost starting from scratch.

-----------

My inaccurate mock draft 1.0:

1. Chicago - C Connor Bedard
2. Anaheim - C Adam Fantilli - One of Zegras/McTavish/Fantilli would have to move to wing but Edmonton sorted things out with McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH.
3. Columbus - C Will Smith - Head scout is based in Michigan, so he's probably seen a lot of Smith. Carlsson could certainly fit here as well.
4. San Jose - C Leo Carlsson - Probably an interesting discussion there whether to go Michkov, or take the "safer" pick with Carlsson/Smith.
5. Montreal - C Dalibor Dvorsky - Maybe an all Slovak future line with Slafkovsky/Mesar. But certainly Michkov in the conversation.
6. Arizona - RW Matvei Michkov - Michkov's KHL contract runs through 2026 which might scare off other teams. Arizona's new rink (if approved) could open for the 2026-27 season.
7. Philadelphia - LW Zach Benson - First draft for Danny Briere, adds a smaller skill forward
8. Washington - RW Ryan Leonard - Could use a bit of everything, but Leonard could replace T.J. Oshie in a couple years.
9. Detroit - RW Matthew Wood - Thought about a home run swing on Daniil But here, then I remembered Detroit also owns NYI's 1st (17th or 18th overall). Wood would give them some size (with skill) to round out their forward group.
10. St. Louis - RD David Reinbacher - Bit bereft of RD in their pipeline, might need a cheap ELC guy as Faulk/Parayko age.

*** Vancouver trades #11 to Nashville for #15 and #46. Draft hosts move up to pop the home crowd. Vancouver had previously dealt their 2nd ***

11. Nashville - LW Colby Barlow - Move up for a skilled winger in David Poile's final draft as Preds GM before Barry Trotz takes over.
12. Arizona (via Ottawa) - LW Gabriel Perreault - Perreault may have briefly lived in Phoenix when his dad played a season there.
13. Buffalo - RD Axel Sandin-Pellikka - Buffalo's well-stocked everywhere, maybe could use more RD depth. Maybe could trade up for Reinbacher.
14. Pittsburgh - C Oliver Moore - Overshadowed as the NTDP's #2 center.
15. Vancouver - RD Oliver Bonk - Canucks need some RD depth in the short and long term. Bonk profiles similarly to John Marino.
16. Calgary - C Brayden Yager - Flames stay out west for a potential top 6 center.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
They went out of their way to announce that Toews had played his last game with the franchise. I figure Kane will want to use his last years on a more competitive team. Even with Bedard, Chicago will probably be a couple years away. Kane coming back might be like Ziggy Palffy signing with Pittsburgh to play with an 18 year old Sidney Crosby. Took a few years for the Pens to turn a corner and they already had Malkin before Crosby. Chicago is almost starting from scratch.

-----------

My inaccurate mock draft 1.0:

1. Chicago - C Connor Bedard
2. Anaheim - C Adam Fantilli - One of Zegras/McTavish/Fantilli would have to move to wing but Edmonton sorted things out with McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH.
3. Columbus - C Will Smith - Head scout is based in Michigan, so he's probably seen a lot of Smith. Carlsson could certainly fit here as well.
4. San Jose - C Leo Carlsson - Probably an interesting discussion there whether to go Michkov, or take the "safer" pick with Carlsson/Smith.
5. Montreal - C Dalibor Dvorsky - Maybe an all Slovak future line with Slafkovsky/Mesar. But certainly Michkov in the conversation.
6. Arizona - RW Matvei Michkov - Michkov's KHL contract runs through 2026 which might scare off other teams. Arizona's new rink (if approved) could open for the 2026-27 season.
7. Philadelphia - LW Zach Benson - First draft for Danny Briere, adds a smaller skill forward
8. Washington - RW Ryan Leonard - Could use a bit of everything, but Leonard could replace T.J. Oshie in a couple years.
9. Detroit - RW Matthew Wood - Thought about a home run swing on Daniil But here, then I remembered Detroit also owns NYI's 1st (17th or 18th overall). Wood would give them some size (with skill) to round out their forward group.
10. St. Louis - RD David Reinbacher - Bit bereft of RD in their pipeline, might need a cheap ELC guy as Faulk/Parayko age.

*** Vancouver trades #11 to Nashville for #15 and #46. Draft hosts move up to pop the home crowd. Vancouver had previously dealt their 2nd ***

11. Nashville - LW Colby Barlow - Move up for a skilled winger in David Poile's final draft as Preds GM before Barry Trotz takes over.
12. Arizona (via Ottawa) - LW Gabriel Perreault - Perreault may have briefly lived in Phoenix when his dad played a season there.
13. Buffalo - RD Axel Sandin-Pellikka - Buffalo's well-stocked everywhere, maybe could use more RD depth. Maybe could trade up for Reinbacher.
14. Pittsburgh - C Oliver Moore - Overshadowed as the NTDP's #2 center.
15. Vancouver - RD Oliver Bonk - Canucks need some RD depth in the short and long term. Bonk profiles similarly to John Marino.
16. Calgary - C Brayden Yager - Flames stay out west for a potential top 6 center.
Zegras/McT/Fantilli/Drysdale and then throw in Zellweger & Mintuyukov…good for Anaheim.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If the NHL fixed lotteries, Nico would be a Flyer and Jack would be a Ranger.
If the NHL tried to fix the first lottery Nico would still be a Devil and the Flyers would have picked Patrick cause he fit their prototype lol. How quickly we forget it was the Nolan lottery on ball drawing day.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The niche amount of draft geeks would love it. The average fan......I dunno. Unfortunately the main boards are reminder about how dumb and loud people have gotten over the years.

I was annoyed for the 2017 Draft reveal when they were still showing reaction shots but it was already revealed that New Jersey (#5), Dallas (#8), and Philadelphia (#13) were in the top three. They showed a camera of Vancouver (#3 pre-lotto) fans when Bill Daly showed their logo for #6 and they all reacted when they should have been able to deduce they'd been bumped down.

Ernst & Young does the NBA as well, with the same process and the same 14 balls/contraption but with different odds.

i just read that vancouver was a number away from winning it last night thats some high drama if they showed it live reveal the combos the teams have in the morning let the fans track along i dunno more is better imo and it would take away the "fix" complaints

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Just saw a Reddit post where someone points out that Graves' last second goal against the Blue Jackets cost Columbus the OT point that would've put them in Chicago's spot for the lotto.

I eagerly await Graves' jersey retirement ceremony, which will no doubt be announced immediately upon the completion of the playoffs.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
i just read that vancouver was a number away from winning it last night thats some high drama if they showed it live reveal the combos the teams have in the morning let the fans track along i dunno more is better imo and it would take away the "fix" complaints
It shouldn’t take away the fix complaints. The only remotely possible way it could be fixed is through the machine itself

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Here is the actual drawing.

As you can see there is a legalese they have to go through and a specific procedure (drawing a number every 20 seconds) that doesn’t make it tv friendly. Bettman even holds up the Bergen Record as proof of life.

Btw, the NBA doesn’t televise the actual drawing either.

lol @ him carrying 45 pages of text to read rather than just having a screen with the text for him to read looking up. So sophisticated.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Here is the actual drawing.

As you can see there is a legalese they have to go through and a specific procedure (drawing a number every 20 seconds) that doesn’t make it tv friendly. Bettman even holds up the Bergen Record as proof of life.

Btw, the NBA doesn’t televise the actual drawing either.

that whole entire production looks like a high school av club is doing it. just absolute junior level stuff all around.

no one probably thought anyone wanted to watch the drafts live but here we are wall to wall coverage. fans in 2023 absolutely would love that.

i really dont get they have a nice studio there have the balls drawn there at least not like someones office while they are on a lunch break.

Reactions: DevilDog

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just saw a Reddit post where someone points out that Graves' last second goal against the Blue Jackets cost Columbus the OT point that would've put them in Chicago's spot for the lotto.

I eagerly await Graves' jersey retirement ceremony, which will no doubt be announced immediately upon the completion of the playoffs.

There are some last second goals that would have had major repercussions on the draft. The infamous Patrik Stefan missed empty netter got Edmonton an extra point in 2006-07 (Dallas still won in OT). That point was the difference between Edmonton and Chicago flipping spots and Chicago won the lottery. So Stefan was possibly the difference between Edmonton getting Patrick Kane or his OHL teammate Sam Gagner.

In the season finale in 1998-99, Vancouver gave up a game winning goal with four seconds remaining. If they had made it to OT and gotten a point (days before the automatic pity point), they would have flipped spots with the Islanders pre-lottery. Assuming the same lottery result, Vancouver's pick would have been bumped from #3 to #5. Brian Burke might not have been in a position to get both Sedins. So either the Sedins get split up or perhaps they both end up with the Milbury Islanders or in Chicago instead. After winning that year's lottery, Chicago GM Bob Murray approached Burke about trading his pick because Murray wanted both Sedins too. But since Burke had #3, he had the upper hand and Chicago didn't want to gamble and be stuck with Pavel Brendl at #4 so they eventually worked out a deal to send the pick to Vancouver.

Travis Zajac's OT goal in the 2018-19 season finale was the difference between us flipping spots with LA pre-lottery.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I can see Columbus taking Michkov

They got too much invested on the wing already. Granted Michkov might come to North America by the time that Laine might be eyeing free agency, but it just doesn't seem like a fit. Especially if ownership isn't exactly patient enough to wait three years for Michkov when there's viable options who can help sooner.

LW: Gaudreau-Johnson-Chinakhov
C: Jenner-Roslovic-Texier-Sillinger
RW: Laine-Marchenko-

I get that you ought not to pick for need, but they've needed a franchise center for almost their entire existence.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Michkov should be drafted by Ducks, but O think he will be picked by Sharks or Mtl.
I don't think Blue Jackets will draft him, they need center. And Kekka is on the hot seat now with Johnny Gaudreanee and Laine on contracts.
Sharks only started with their rebuild and their group doesn't afraid of Russians. And Michkov will not play for them next three years, it will help to achieve more talented players on the next drafts.

Ducks should make serious work on this market, Zegras and McTavish should be better next season, Fantilli may be can make some impact from the start, if he will have good partners to make some job for him. And west is pretty open.

I think jackets will draft Carlsson and it will make them very good in the next few years. Its not the question of next year, but in few years they have a lot of good stuff to make their sky high.

Its too damn sad we don't have first this year. I'm not upset we spent it in Meier trade, im happy with it. Its just so fun to work with the draft, there are so many interesting players in the first round. But I just don't have so much time to make so much deep dive to study potential 40-70 picks. Will figure it out after draft and will watch tapes/games of what we will got.

Obvious need is centers, but I have a feeling, that good ones will not fall so far.
I think if there are no obvious options with big scoring centers, we should find more drivers on this draft, may be with lower floor. Feels like we don't have enough in the system.
Would be great to find power scoring forwards(Vadim Moroz). And mobile defensive defensemen with good skating ofcourse. I know we have some, but defensive work in nhl is so tough, more often its about mentality and defensive IQ(don't forget about good skating and normal level of other skills). And future cap issues, new deals of Luke, Dawson and Simon will push organisation to make regular rotation in the bottom of offense and defense.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Michkov should be drafted by Ducks, but O think he will be picked by Sharks or Mtl.
I don't think Blue Jackets will draft him, they need center. And Kekka is on the hot seat now with Johnny Gaudreanee and Laine on contracts.
Sharks only started with their rebuild and their group doesn't afraid of Russians. And Michkov will not play for them next three years, it will help to achieve more talented players on the next drafts.

Ducks should make serious work on this market, Zegras and McTavish should be better next season, Fantilli may be can make some impact from the start, if he will have good partners to make some job for him. And west is pretty open.

I think jackets will draft Carlsson and it will make them very good in the next few years. Its not the question of next year, but in few years they have a lot of good stuff to make their sky high.

Its too damn sad we don't have first this year. I'm not upset we spent it in Meier trade, im happy with it. Its just so fun to work with the draft, there are so many interesting players in the first round. But I just don't have so much time to make so much deep dive to study potential 40-70 picks. Will figure it out after draft and will watch tapes/games of what we will got.

Obvious need is centers, but I have a feeling, that good ones will not fall so far.
I think if there are no obvious options with big scoring centers, we should find more drivers on this draft, may be with lower floor. Feels like we don't have enough in the system.
Would be great to find power scoring forwards(Vadim Moroz). And mobile defensive defensemen with good skating ofcourse. I know we have some, but defensive work in nhl is so tough, more often its about mentality and defensive IQ(don't forget about good skating and normal level of other skills). And future cap issues, new deals of Luke, Dawson and Simon will push organisation to make regular rotation in the bottom of offense and defense.
Great writeup, as usual. If you have a few minutes to spare, I’m wondering, how do you like Reinbacher? Watched a lot of film on him and he seems promising. Are there any guys he reminds you of in a way?

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If the NHL tried to fix the first lottery Nico would still be a Devil and the Flyers would have picked Patrick cause he fit their prototype lol. How quickly we forget it was the Nolan lottery on ball drawing day.

By the lottery draw it was split between Patrick/Hischier. From TSN's final ranking:

By the draft lottery edition rankings in late April, it was virtual dead heat – five votes for Patrick and five votes for Hischier. In fact, to break the tie, TSN had to survey 23 scouts, with Patrick ultimately getting the nod, 12-11.

nn2017.jpg

I happened to be in the NHL Store when the lottery happened. Sadly I had to ask them to change the channel beforehand. Admittedly I preferred Patrick if only because I happened to watch him win the 2016 WHL championship while visiting friends in Seattle. There's a passage in Moneyball which went something like "there's a fallacy among scouts that they alone were destined to see a certain player if only to justify all of their travel and time." I definitely was guilty of that.

I remembered another tidbit for the tinfoil hat crowd. Anaheim and Columbus both lost coin flips to determine their draft spots when they entered the league. So naturally the league must have been against them from the start and the coin was rigged. It worked out for Anaheim since they preferred Paul Kariya anyways and turned Oleg Tverdovsky into Teemu Selanne. Not so much for Columbus who knew there was a tier drop from Heatley/Gaborik to Klesla/Hartnell/Torres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad