Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Potential Selection Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
One of the guys that I liked after the WJC, has unfortunately moved up 8-10 places on the board. David Reinbacher, 6'2" RD from the NL in Switzerland. He was previously listed in the 28-32 range, but is 20 now.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Danielson is a guy I really like. Definitely a Dubas-type of target too.
th

Yeah he's alright

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Likely get injured? That's silliness too... Amirov is 6'.... Size doesn't automatically mean more frequent injuries as well.

Size helps, but talent is more important. Your take is poor in any case.
No Dubas has had several cracks at first round playoffs. We need some grit. You insisting that it works has no basis.

Like Muzzin?

Terrible take.

Injuries can happen to anyone, regardless of size.
Muzzin is 33 and used his body like a tank.Another terrible take.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
For many years we have watched elite dmen be successful scoring options on their teams. Go as far back as you want, Orr, Borque, Robinson, or more modern Hedman, Gio(Norris winner), etc etc. Never have I witness these or any other great dman be the first or second player past their own blue line on a breakout. They had responsibility. They passed, jumped into the rush, carried the puck out whatever, but never first man or second man out of their own zone.
Reilly does it every game and 95 times out of 100 fails to produce despite the risk taking.
To win a cup Reiily must play defence first. Tired of watching him play defence from behind the other teams forwards as they cross our blueline.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
For many years we have watched elite dmen be successful scoring options on their teams. Go as far back as you want, Orr, Borque, Robinson, or more modern Hedman, Gio(Norris winner), etc etc. Never have I witness these or any other great dman be the first or second player past their own blue line on a breakout. They had responsibility. They passed, jumped into the rush, carried the puck out whatever, but never first man or second man out of their own zone.
Reilly does it every game and 95 times out of 100 fails to produce despite the risk taking.
To win a cup Reiily must play defence first. Tired of watching him play defence from behind the other teams forwards as they cross our blueline.
Sick rant in the wrong thread.

• Haha
Reactions: kb and LeafChief

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I think that's a fairly low probability at this point. So far Murray's 11-5-2 while maintaining a 9.11 sv%.

The odds are higher he's going to be one of the Leafs goalies next season than the team needs to pay to dump him imo
If he maintains his solid play, he could in fact be a trade asset rather than a sell off. Depends on how Samsonov evolves, and whether Woll can stay healthy and continue his stellar play.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I can’t say who but Dubas must now pivot in philosophy. His small but skilled drafting is backfiring as his picks get injured and devalue. Amirov plus Robertson are both worth less that their own draft picks right now as other wiser Gms outsmarted Dubas. Hockey is hard game that gets brutal in the playoffs where you have to win ugly. Amirov and Robertson are currently worth zero and would likely get injured anyway. Stats don’t show how players who are injured have zero value as injuries give an excuse to the failed strategy.
First of all Amirov is 6'1. That isn't small. Plus he has a brain tumor. Not hockey related.

Horrible post.

You are also not including all the small picks who have increased their value or even grown since being drafted. Holmberg for example was 5'10 when drafted and is now 6'0 and 200lbs

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
First of all Amirov is 6'1. That isn't small. Plus he has a brain tumor. Not hockey related.

Horrible post.

You are also not including all the small picks who have increased their value or even grown since being drafted. Holmberg for example was 5'10 when drafted and is now 6'0 and 200lbs

Dubas does his best work in the later rounds. He and the scouting staff always find good value on our later picks which is nice to see. Hopefully some of those guys start pushing for spots in the next 2-3 years.

I think the only pick i wasn’t a fan of from Dubas was the Amirov pick, not because he was small. Just felt like Schneider was a better fit for us. I think the board itself was pretty split, a lot of people wanted Schneider. But outside of that I think he’s done a good job of finding 2nd and maybe even 1st round talent with our 4th, 5th, &6th round picks.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
No Dubas has had several cracks at first round playoffs. We need some grit. You insisting that it works has no basis.

Muzzin is 33 and used his body like

Muzzin is 33 and used his body like a tank.Another terrible take.
Poster 1- " we need bigger, more physical prospects or else they might get hurt in playoffs"

Poster 2 - gives example of big player who gets injured often in playoffs.

Poster 1 - "He gets injured because he plays physical" Then says Poster 2 has a terrible take.

Do you not see how this reads?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Horrible post.

As I recall he had injury issues prior. Lack of size and grit plus refs are why Toronto losses in the first round.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
As I recall he had injury issues prior. Lack of size and grit plus refs are why Toronto losses in the first round.
You mean this injury?

I fail to see how this was size related. He slid into the boards head first and broke his collar bone. That doesn't happen to 6'4 players?

And again, he is 6'1 and close to 190 lbs. THAT IS NOT SMALL. That is literally the League average.

Reactions: kb

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I can’t say who but Dubas must now pivot in philosophy. His small but skilled drafting is backfiring as his picks get injured and devalue. Amirov plus Robertson are both worth less that their own draft picks right now as other wiser Gms outsmarted Dubas. Hockey is hard game that gets brutal in the playoffs where you have to win ugly. Amirov and Robertson are currently worth zero and would likely get injured anyway. Stats don’t show how players who are injured have zero value as injuries give an excuse to the failed strategy.
I was one of the few who wanted Schneider instead of Amirov but come on man, this is a bad take. Everything Amirov did on the ice post-draft was positive. It’s not his or Dubas’ fault he got a deadly disease shortly afterward

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I was one of the few who wanted Schneider instead of Amirov but come on man, this is a bad take. Everything Amirov did on the ice post-draft was positive. It’s not his or Dubas’ fault he got a deadly disease shortly afterward
You can lead a horse to water.....but......

Narratives that are patently false and purely ego driven will never change even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Dubas does his best work in the later rounds. He and the scouting staff always find good value on our later picks which is nice to see. Hopefully some of those guys start pushing for spots in the next 2-3 years.

I think the only pick i wasn’t a fan of from Dubas was the Amirov pick, not because he was small. Just felt like Schneider was a better fit for us. I think the board itself was pretty split, a lot of people wanted Schneider. But outside of that I think he’s done a good job of finding 2nd and maybe even 1st round talent with our 4th, 5th, &6th round picks.
Agreed on most of this. I didn't really have any feelings one way or another about that pick. On one hand Schneider represented a prospect that we didn't have in our pipeline, on the other, I am always on the side of shooting for highest upside to which I thought Amirov had.

Schneider seemed to me like a guy that would probably be a #4 guy. That's something you could get in later rounds and maybe shouldn't use with a fairly high first. I personally would rather go for the guy that had the skills that Amirov has and the upside of a 1st liner.

I trust our current regime when it comes to drafting and we seem to be diversifying our pool with some size and grit in the last few drafts with picks like Knies, Minten, Grebenkin and Tverberg but we need to start taking some D men now since Sandin and Lilly are full timers and guys like Niemela, Kral and Villeneuve will be looking to graduate soon.

Reactions: francis246

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
So 6'1" and 187 as a 19 year old is small now?

Keep digging. It's a brutal take.
Exactly! People need to understand your average hockey player is just over 200 lbs. This isn't football or rugby, where you want some weight. In basketball you want height, weight isn’t too important.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 6'2 220lbs power forwards, but if they can't skate, shoot accurately and have alot to work on, then their is no point in picking them over a smaller player who is more polished.

Look at the Douglas-Timmins trade. You had some people who thought that just because Douglas was 6'8 240lbs, that he was going to be the next Tage Thompson.

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Size has nothing to do with injury, if that were the case 350lbs nose tackles in football, would never get injured.

Reactions: kb

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Agreed on most of this. I didn't really have any feelings one way or another about that pick. On one hand Schneider represented a prospect that we didn't have in our pipeline, on the other, I am always on the side of shooting for highest upside to which I thought Amirov had.

Schneider seemed to me like a guy that would probably be a #4 guy. That's something you could get in later rounds and maybe shouldn't use with a fairly high first. I personally would rather go for the guy that had the skills that Amirov has and the upside of a 1st liner.

I trust our current regime when it comes to drafting and we seem to be diversifying our pool with some size and grit in the last few drafts with picks like Knies, Minten, Grebenkin and Tverberg but we need to start taking some D men now since Sandin and Lilly are full timers and guys like Niemela, Kral and Villeneuve will be looking to graduate soon.

For sure Schneider seemed like the safer pick, a guy who could probably jump to the NHL fairly quick and hold his own, but Amirov had more upside. So you can’t fault them for going big. I think if we keep our first this year we are going to be having a similar debate between guys like Stramel or Reinbacher/Dragicieivic

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Yet when presented with someone that plays with grit and has size (Muzzin), you say it's a terrible example that he also gets injured because he plays too physical.

I'd suggest quitting while you're behind.
Muzzin is 33 and has played like a tank for years. Quit being lame

My commentary is about what we lack to win a round.

Size has nothing to do with injury, if that were the case 350lbs nose tackles in football, would never get injured.
A fact based on physics. It’s better to give than receive. Unless you are small.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
This used to be a really great thread in pasts years that used to be stickied at the top. Wonder if we can get that going again? Posters like @stickty111, @Morgs and @SeaOfBlue (among others) did a really great job of updating on players that may be in the Leafs range for the upcoming draft.

Of course, we may see some of these picks traded over the next few months (and we can see some added at the draft as we saw with this past draft) but definitely something fun and interesting to discuss and follow.

Leafs Current Picks
1st Rounder
3rd Rounder
3rd Rounder (from Ottawa - Murray trade)
5th Rounder
6th Rounder

The recent Mock Draft from mynhldraft.com (updated January 16th) has the Leafs selecting 26th overall and choosing Oliver Bonk (son of Radek Bonk).

View attachment 639053

The Mock Draft has a big centre and a big goalie sandwiching our pick.

Hopefully we can get some discussion going on who people would like to see selected with our picks.

Need dat mullet

1674775955418.png

Business in the front. Party in the back.

horner

May 22, 2007
For sure Schneider seemed like the safer pick, a guy who could probably jump to the NHL fairly quick and hold his own, but Amirov had more upside. So you can’t fault them for going big. I think if we keep our first this year we are going to be having a similar debate between guys like Stramel or Reinbacher/Dragicieivic
Don sleep on Bonk
As a knight fan I have watched alot of him

Is already a top pairing dman on the Knights

horner

May 22, 2007
I thought Amirov was someone that we already had a great supply of , skilled forwards.
We could have traded down and picked Schnieder, which was something we didn't have in the system.
Or
Guhle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad