HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
You mean something like Vegas GK with only one PPG player in Eichel and no other elite talent? I would love to have that.
Let’s get the PPG player first, and then the blue collar grinders. Vegas is a good team, with aggressive a management, and are highly ambitious for success — the Habs are a bad team, with historically passive conservative management, and highly ineffective at team building.

Vegas traded for a post-surgery Eichel, the Habs are hemming and hawing over whether to draft Michkov if available. Not comparable!

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Let’s get the PPG player first, and then the blue collar grinders. Vegas is a good team, with aggressive a management, and are highly ambitious for success — the Habs are a bad team, with historically passive conservative management, and highly ineffective at team building.

Vegas traded for a post-surgery Eichel, the Habs are hemming and hawing over whether to draft Michkov if available. Not comparable!

I agree with you, that being said, all the Michkov arguments are pure speculation.

Reactions: ReHabs

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I agree with you, that being said, all the Michkov arguments are pure speculation.
There are none against really. Let's ignore the fact that Michkov dream is to play in the NHL and that he will be present at the draft. His contract is not even a risk, its inconfortable at worst.

The simple opportunity to draft such a talent, given how rare it is and how lucky you have to be when such a talent present itself, justify in itself every risk possible attached to him.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
There are none against really. Let's ignore the fact that Michkov dream is to play in the NHL and that he will be present at the draft. His contract is not even a risk, its inconfortable at worst.

The simple opportunity to draft such a talent, given how rare it is and how lucky you have to be when such a talent present itself, justify in itself every risk possible attached to him.

This is why I believe we won't have the choice to draft him OR there is a Leafs trade where Colombus or the Sharks are involved. Hell, I would not even be so surprised if the Hawks pick Michkov first (10-20% probability), I think the GMs are blowing a lot of smoke about him in the hope he slides to them.

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I know Hrabal is the talk of the town but I think I would prefer they waited a bit until the 2nd/3rd round pick and took Jacob Fowler. I don't see meaningful difference between the two aside from size and Fowler at 6'2 is still decently sized.
Isn't Fowler the best goalie in the draft? That's what I've seen mentioned.

Personally I don't see goalie as a huge need in the prospect pool. The Habs have been addressing that position appropriately the last few drafts and there are some interesting prospects there. I would be fine with using another mid-to-late pick on a goalie.

I hope the Habs take a high end forward at 5 and draft some dmen later. I think some of the USNTDP dmen will be good value at where they are projected.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Goaltending and defense are so underrated in this league.

Grab the bpa at 5, hopefully michkov....but if we keep the Florida pick, grab the best tendy. Not even kidding. Just look at Edmonton and Toronto
Defense, yes.

Goaltending yes and no. You don't need a Price, or high end goalie, but you need a goalie who can make saves.

If you have the forwards who can score and the d/system that keeps the majority shots as ones that are seen, or cleared after the save, then you just need a decent goalie.

Bobrovski - underdrafted
Grubauer - 4th round pick
Oettinger - 1st.
Andersen - drafted twice, 7th round (Carolina) and 4th round I believe by Anaheim
Hill - 3rd round pick.

There's a possibility that Oettinger is eliminated.

Goalies are just so unpredictable and there's almost, not fully, but almost no point to draft a goalie in the 1st round anymore.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Ya plus development time is forever…almost better to spend a late 1st or 2nd to scoop an up and comer from another team like Leafs did with Andersen or Raanta got from NYR.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He is more than that absolutely. But i think the point he is trying to make is that we should aim for higher offensive talent when there will obviously be one or two available at 5.
Well I’m going with the assumption that Michkov isn’t an option for the Habs and the other Top 4 are taken. At that point you can make a legitimate claim for Leonard. Habs do need more speed and another shooter. Add his physicality and it seems like a perfect fit.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Goaltending and defense are so underrated in this league.

Grab the bpa at 5, hopefully michkov....but if we keep the Florida pick, grab the best tendy. Not even kidding. Just look at Edmonton and Toronto
We're probably going to have to address our future goaltending through free agency or the draft.

Even if we grab a goalie with Florida's pick, they probably won't be NHL ready for another 4/5 seasons. At that point Suzuki will be 28/29. We're going to need to find an answer externally if Montembeaut or one of the guys in the system aren't starter material.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I know Hrabal is the talk of the town but I think I would prefer they waited a bit until the 2nd/3rd round pick and took Jacob Fowler. I don't see meaningful difference between the two aside from size and Fowler at 6'2 is still decently sized.

I don't dislike this strategy at all.. but if Hrabal is hanging around near the Florida pick, you make a move up and get him.

So, Dragicevic with Florida's pick ?

Nah... we don't need to add that type of defenseman. Reinbacher, Wallinder, someone with two way ability on the right side.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

They had Stone on LTIR all year too, he's also legitimately a ppg player when healthy.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Craig Button's top 100

Some notables:

#5: ASP
#8: Willander
#12: Leonard
#14: Benson
#24: Reinbacher
#35: Cristall
#51: Heidt
#65: Lardis
#70: Stramel
#94: Akey

There's actually quite a few players I like in 3rd round, including Terrance, Akey, Myatovic, Gajan, Minnetian, Lind, Rehkopf & Lardis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad