HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Even so? Smith was 3rd.

Yep. He was a machine last game, even while still playing with a nagging injury.

I love Smith's skill level, but I do have concerns about him being effective in tight checking games... something I was not worried about with Cooley last year. I think he will have to develop that ability... will he?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I love Smith's skill level, but I do have concerns about him being effective in tight checking games... something I was not worried about with Cooley last year. I think he will have to develop that ability... will he?
Thats a good question. I think it mostly stems from skating and low motor, Im not sure it will change.

I really dont like scouting the USDP kids anymore, it makes it so hard to see their competitive edge.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Matthew Wood led his team in points at 17 (!!).... then was a standout at the U18's..... this is a great draft class... are we sleeping a bit on Wood for real? Could he be closer to 5 than to 10? He's big and has a great shot and nifty hands... a bit slow.. can that be fixed?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Next question:

Who are the gritty bangers you like in the 20-40 range?

Also it's settled... we don't want a superstar... just can't win with one in the modern NHL. Bring me 3 solid lines and a deep D core!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Jabba11 and bopeep

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I want Michkov, he's been my favorite prospect for this draft. Seriously, Michkov has freaking bulldof/pittbull energey in him. He's a fierce competitor. He showed that on international level especially when going up against Bedard. He's even better than Bedard in some confrontations.

Michkov is an elite superstar talent. He's fun to watch and he would be exactly what would bring back excitement into this city. But with that being said, I don't think he will be there when we draft. I think it will go like this:

1. Chicago Dickheads: Connor Bedard
2. Anaheim Ducks: Adam Fantilli
3. Columbus Blue Jackets: Leo Carlsson
4. San Jose Sharks: Matvei Michkov
5. Montreal Canadiens: Will Smith

i think Will Smith is the weakest of the top 5 and with the most flaws. On a purely hockey standpoint, Smith is not on the same talent as the rest of the top 4. Zach Benson is a better competitor than Smith and has great talent as well. I think Benson has equal gamebreaking ability than Smith and he's not talked enough.
I want Mitckov and would be Really disappointed .if They dont.If
the guy wants to come to the NHL, he will come.

Besides, the hope that the CH would draft by not taking Michkov would join the NHL in more or less two or three years, which is exactly when Michkov's contract will end in the KHL.

So I would really rather see a superstar like Michkov come in two or three years than another prospect.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I want Mitckov and would be Really disappointed .if They dont.If
the guy wants to come to the NHL, he will come.

Besides, the hope that the CH would draft by not taking Michkov would join the NHL in more or less two or three years, which is exactly when Michkov's contract will end in the KHL.

So I would really rather see a superstar like Michkov come in two or three years than another prospect.
Ya this is something I’ve thought about as well. Outside of Bedard, Fantilli, and possibly Carlsson (all guys we’d run to the podium for), every prospect in our range likely takes at least a year, most likely 2 or even perhaps 3. Smith, Leonard, and Perrault are all spending at least 2 years in college. Benson probably is 3 years away. Dvorsky could be a year away, but outside of he and maybe Reinbacher or Wood no one else is that close. Might as well take Michkov.

Reactions: Expos94

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Wonder if Wood could be that player who shuffles the cards after 3 and jump up the board ala Seider.
Has that profile GMs love with the size and untapped potential. High-output contributor everywhere he's played

If a team is confident they can crack the mobility issues, could go quite high.

Last edited:

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
Wouldn’t be upset with that. I like Leonard a lot. At the very least you have a really effective NHLer. I agree with the take that he is the type of player that will help you win. Don’t see him disappearing in a series like the Leafs top guys.
I’m tired of drafting just an effective nhler with top picks. You need to hit an allstar. Maybe not a superstar, but an allstar. Can’t be happy having a #1 pick and #5 pick turn into just a solid 2nd/3rd liners with 15-20 goals.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I’m tired of drafting just an effective nhler with top picks. You need to hit an allstar. Maybe not a superstar, but an allstar. Can’t be happy having a #1 pick and #5 pick turn into just a solid 2nd/3rd liners with 15-20 goals.
Tkachuk wasn’t a sexy pick at #4, how is he doing now? PPG at 23 years old with potential to be more still.

Leonard gives me similar vibes

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Men, Reinbacher is sooo good already. A better Guhle + RHD. Best case scenario imo (outside of a Carlsson drop), would be Michkov falling to us, WAS paying us a shitload to move up and grab him (like a 2024 first) and us grabing either Leonard, Benson or Reinbacher at 8th (I suspect Reinbacher would be going 6th in that scenario tho).

No. Pick Michkov. He's worth more than all of this.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Wouldn’t be upset with that. I like Leonard a lot. At the very least you have a really effective NHLer. I agree with the take that he is the type of player that will help you win. Don’t see him disappearing in a series like the Leafs top guys.
Aren't you tired of drafting boring 200ft lunch-pail high intangibles players who cannot score regularly and cannot lead a team?

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Aren't you tired of drafting boring 200ft lunch-pail high intangibles players who cannot score regularly and cannot lead a team?
You mean something like Vegas GK with only one PPG player in Eichel and no other elite talent? I would love to have that.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Yes, absolutely.

I think the appeal is the offensive package. He might have the best offensive tools out there after Bedard and Michkov.

The rest tho needs a lot of polishing.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Matthew Wood led his team in points at 17 (!!).... then was a standout at the U18's..... this is a great draft class... are we sleeping a bit on Wood for real? Could he be closer to 5 than to 10? He's big and has a great shot and nifty hands... a bit slow.. can that be fixed?
I have him in the group of players I'd want at 5. Reinbacher, Wood, Leonard, Smith is the group. I am not including Michkov because for me he is top 2 and if he's there he should be the pick politics/KHL contract issues aside.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Next question:

Who are the gritty bangers you like in the 20-40 range?

Also it's settled... we don't want a superstar... just can't win with one in the modern NHL. Bring me 3 solid lines and a deep D core!
Maybe not in the 20-40 range but Kalen Lind is a gritty player that can be a real pain in the ass to play against. Would love to get him with the 3rd round pick

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Grant and @WeThreeKings sitting in a tree

It's fine to say we need more goalie talent, but it's really illogical to name a goalie who doesn't have the pedigree of a Price to do that. I mean, if it was Wallstedt maybe, but goalies like Price are a one in 10-15 years event. I would not even be opposed to drafting 3 goalies this year and taking a real shot a it. Get Hrabal and Bjarnarson and Hellnemo (an older one), see who develops.

This way you can be very patient with Bjarnarson and Hrabal, and if only 1 of these guys is our goalie for the next 8-9 years, it's a big win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad