HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The big questions are:

1. Does Smith belong in a tier with Carlsson, Michkov & Fantilli?

2. How much risk in involved in picking Michov?

If the answer to 1 is YES and 2 is negligible.... then it is easy and great and we will be getting a star player.

Personally I'm undecided on both questions... I think we will know more in a month... but may not really know until draft day.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Shot is the easiest thing to improve. When he's 6'3 215 in the NHL you can bet his shot is going to be heavy.

No one had Draisaitl being the 50+ goal scorer he is as a prospect. Nor Barkov, Lindholm, Nylander or Aho at 40. Point at 50.
Tim Stutzle just scored 39 after scoring 7 in his draft year in the DEL. Carlsson had a heavier shot already as a DY prospect.

Crosby and Mcdavid took one offseason to add 20+ goals and become Rocket Richard winners.
I don't know if it is the easiest thing (legitimately don't know not contesting you) but to add to your list, Patches was supposed to be a playmaking winger.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Trading future firsts now is premature. It wouldn’t take much for those picks to be really high.
You don't know where those picks are going to be, and even if they are high, what's to say they don't end up being another KK/Galchenyuk.
Carlsson is a 1st overall caliber prospect who could change the course of this franchise.

Additionally, we're not Chicago. We have tons of young, NHL ready (or close) depth at all positions. 80% of our roster is completed, all we're missing are three things: a star F, a star D and a starting G. (maybe one more top 6 forward like PLD or other FA)

Matheson looks to have broken out into a star D. So at least in the short term, we're fine there. We can look to pick a D in 2024/2025 and slowly groom them to replace him. There's no rush right now. And goaltending will need to be addressed later in a trade, where we still have plenty of assets to work with.

An elite forward needs to be the priority. I love Benson and like Smith. But both of them combined are not worth Carlsson to us right now.
To a team that needs 3-4 more pieces to their top 6 like Chicago? Probably. But not to us.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

Doesn't think MTL takes Michy boy

This mock has us picking Leonard based on U18 rumblings:

A couple other small channel mocks had Michkov going 3 or 4 and Carlsson falling to us...really doubt that happens tho :(

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I wouldn't want to trade Dach either, but if I'm Columbus, not sure if I settle for Dvorsky + Mesar for Carlsson.

We'd need to trade them something really good for them to go down IMO. Just don't see it happening.

I'm also not trading an unprotected 2024 first. If we have Michkov at 5 and we're not drafting him, I'd entertain a trade-down to get Reinbacher or Benson.
If you want that 3rd overall, my guess is it would cost you your 5th overall, the Florida pick and your 37th pick….this works as long as Columbus is high on both Michkov and Smith.

I’m kind of hoping Hughes is able to pull this off and snatch Carlsson!!!

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Leonard/Wood would be really fun kinda "reach" picks if we're skipping on Michkov.
That's the just trade back 2, or 3 spots and get another 2nd.

I like what I've seen from both from highlights and U-18, but drafting either one 5th overall and not moving back is just poor asset management.

The way I see this draft at this point is.

Bedard and Fantilli go 1, 2. Shocking, I know.

3 and 4... Carlsson is a skilled centre and he has size he goes. Don't worry, I'm crushed, too.

Michkov and Smith... both around the same size, but Michkov is, at this point more skilled than Smith and there's separation there. I imagine San Jose takes Michkov because of that.

Habs are left with Smith and take him.

Not really shocking, or something that's going to cause a stir, but I can't see much more changing than that.

Reactions: habsfan891

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
There is just so many speculation and so many possible options. But at the end of the day, give me the prospect who possesses the highest level of... killer instinct. Which player will have the highest potential as well as having the highest level of being a true motherf*cker.

I see 2: Matvei Michkov and Zach Benson.

Michkov has shown on international play that he hates losing and will always thrive when it matters. His team is trailing Canada, he goes for the kill, he tries to compete and make his team win. Benson same thing. The kid just has that hunger and that knack of competitiveness.

I just don't see it in Will Smith.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So reading your post, you like his shot, hands, vision, offensive skills you think he has a great floor but you’re here for some Smith bashing? lol
It’s silly but there’s a bit of Dvorsky vs Smith debate so even though I like Smith, I’m team Dvorsky lol even though I have the two neck and neck.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
For me Dvorsky doesnt have what it takes to become a high offensice centerman. I might be mistaken, but I think he’ll be a 50-55ptd type of guy. That is good on a 2nd line. Mikael Backlund type of player.

Leonard has powerforward vibe. Not a big guy like Tkachuk/Wilson, but I think he’ll end up close to guys like Jamie Benn and Landeskog. I’d rather have that kind of guys.

Leonard should be a good player, but not sure how you take him over Dvorsky who’s basically just a better version and natural center.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It’s silly but there’s a bit of Dvorsky vs Smith debate so even though I like Smith, I’m team Dvorsky lol even though I have the two neck and neck.
Theres no Dvorsky Smith debate, youre the only one that has Dvorsky even close.

There is just so many speculation and so many possible options. But at the end of the day, give me the prospect who possesses the highest level of... killer instinct. Which player will have the highest potential as well as having the highest level of being a true motherf*cker.

I see 2: Matvei Michkov and Zach Benson.

Michkov has shown on international play that he hates losing and will always thrive when it matters. His team is trailing Canada, he goes for the kill, he tries to compete and make his team win. Benson same thing. The kid just has that hunger and that knack of competitiveness.

I just don't see it in Will Smith.
I agree. I see Smith as a Leaf kind of guy. He's along for the ride. Benson is kicking and screaming right now in the POs against one of the best CHL team ive seen.

Reactions: Jabba11

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

I agree. I see Smith as a Leaf kind of guy. He's along for the ride. Benson is kicking and screaming right now in the POs against one of the best CHL team ive seen.

Exactly! Cannot describe better than that, he gives me vibes of a Leafs kind of guy too and his face the same.

I need a warrior. A true warrior.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Dvorsky is 6th on Bobs list. Outside of the big 4, the two next guys are Smith and Dvorsky.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

What do you mean by kicking and screaming? You mean he's not going down without a fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad