HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not exactly Grant with him but he's a big toolsy guy with soft hands, a good shot, and good vision. If you believe in the ability of your development team to get the most out of him, he's a pretty obvious pick in the late 1st.

I like his teammate Simashev more. With But I see a lot of good things in a 6'5 body, but not one single elite thing. Simashev has his rushing ability, though.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
FB_IMG_1684171845640.jpg

20230224_214725.gif

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I'm not exactly Grant with him but he's a big toolsy guy with soft hands, a good shot, and good vision. If you believe in the ability of your development team to get the most out of him, he's a pretty obvious pick in the late 1st.

I generally agree with Grant McCagg on almost nothing, but he's right on But. The decision-making, shot, and even passing are all superb, as is the stick handling. He's also pretty damn agile for a big boy. I'm not an expert on skating evaluation so someone else would have to take that.

He gets a bit confused on the defensive side, which seems to be a thing with young Russian guys, and he's another one that doesn't seem to use his size to his advantage in terms of physicality.

Still, there's a lot of potential for utter devastation there. If we snag him with the FLA pick, that would be amazing. Doubt it happens though. His profile is just too good for a non-Russian-averse team to avoid grabbing him in the teens or max early 20s. Some NHL scouts will be drooling over this guy, I'm sure.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Let’s get the PPG player first, and then the blue collar grinders. Vegas is a good team, with aggressive a management, and are highly ambitious for success — the Habs are a bad team, with historically passive conservative management, and highly ineffective at team building.

Vegas traded for a post-surgery Eichel, the Habs are hemming and hawing over whether to draft Michkov if available. Not comparable!
We have few players who could be PPG players in couple years- Suzuki, CC, Dach, lets not forget it. Plus few clutch guys who will be great in PO- RHP, Slaf, Guhle, Xhekaj.
I am not against drafting Michkov, but lets not panic that drafting small elite skill Russian is the only way to Stanley cup. It might be the opposite actually.

Reactions: Habricot and bopeep

caufieldbeerman

Jun 21, 2021
From the tapes I have seen I see a world where Anaheim draft Leo Carlsson #2. I think Zach Benson is underated he remember be Matthew Barzal.

Will Smith is good but I’d prefer Michkov especially if he’s at the draft

Reactions: Mrb1p

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
We have few players who could be PPG players in couple years- Suzuki, CC, Dach, lets not forget it. Plus few clutch guys who will be great in PO- RHP, Slaf, Guhle, Xhekaj.
I am not against drafting Michkov, but lets not panic that drafting small elite skill Russian is the only way to Stanley cup. It might be the opposite actually.
Suzuki, CC, and Dach are not PPG and have never even flirted with it. It is not right to place such expectations on these otherwise very good and important players.

I don’t give a DAMN about potentially “clutch” players when our team cannot score on an empty net.

Every winning team can score. However, we just went to through a ten year span with a legendary good goaltender and an infamously bad GM who was certain that you could win without scoring goals.

Let’s try scoring goals for once. Let’s try having elite skill for once — instead of seeing elite skill in highlights for other teams.

Edit: it doesn’t have to be Michkov (who is likely gone before our pick), it could be Smith, or even Benson. We need a highlight reel player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anardil

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I do like Danny Nelson's profile as a pick at 37.

Good size/skating/shot, very young (August birthday), switched from defenseman to winger to center in the past two years, stuck on the bottom 6 on a loaded USNTDP team.

That's a potenital breakout if I've ever seen one.
He seemed solid in the U-18.

I'd be down for that.

Others are probably sick of me saying this, but the Habs really need to get more forward prospects with size in their pool.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
10 SOG ????

Ok but for players that are both AHL and OHL eligible, may want to let them marinate in the OHL, depending on the case.

How does Benson look to you? Does he rival Will Smith at 5?

He's looked better recently than when he first came back from injury & still looked hurt. He's a player, who usually makes the right play at the right time, offensively & defensively. He processes the game quickly at WHL level for sure. His compete at both ends is excellent.

The biggest concern with him is that he's had an injury the last 2 years now, so I wonder about his durability once he hits the NHL where players are faster, stronger & more physical.

Smith is definitely more offensively dynamic, and is much more of find soft ice & exploit it type player. He can sometimes force plays too much, and needs to work on his defensive game, but he's not completely incompetent there. He did well against a heavy forechecking Swedish team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal picks neither. Lol

Reactions: 26Mats and bopeep

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
He's looked better recently than when he first came back from injury & still looked hurt. He's a player, who usually makes the right play at the right time, offensively & defensively. He processes the game quickly at WHL level for sure. His compete at both ends is excellent.

The biggest concern with him is that he's had an injury the last 2 years now, so I wonder about his durability once he hits the NHL where players are faster, stronger & more physical.

Smith is definitely more offensively dynamic, and is much more of find soft ice & exploit it type player. He can sometimes force plays too much, and needs to work on his defensive game, but he's not completely incompetent there. He did well against a heavy forechecking Swedish team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal picks neither. Lol

Benson plays with high compete and absolute reckless abandon. I too definitely worry about his durability at the NHL level where he'll be paying for his style of play even more...

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Suzuki, CC, and Dach are not PPG and have never even flirted with it. It is not right to place such expectations on these otherwise very good and important players.

I don’t give a DAMN about potentially “clutch” players when our team cannot score on an empty net.

Every winning team can score. However, we just went to through a ten year span with a legendary good goaltender and an infamously bad GM who was certain that you could win without scoring goals.

Let’s try scoring goals for once. Let’s try having elite skill for once — instead of seeing elite skill in highlights for other teams.

Edit: it doesn’t have to be Michkov (who is likely gone before our pick), it could be Smith, or even Benson. We need a highlight reel player.
What are you talking about. Suzuki was on pace for over 100 pts at one point this year but that's unreasonable. But I'm 95% sure if Suzuki played with Dach and Caufield the whole season, he would averaged at least a PPG and Caufield would gotten 40-50 Gs probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad