HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Michael Hrabal. You are a Montreal Canadiens

Honestly wouldn't mind that at all, with our 29th or with our early 2nd pick. Drafting goalies is even more of a crapshoot than other players, but having high-profile (well, for this draft at least) ones in the system wouldn't hurt. Some other interesting names later, one I think could surprise is an overager, Juha Jatkola, damn great season for KalPa, became their no1 and he's only 20.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Dvorsky is a real nice prospect, a better Danault. The thing is, ending our rebuild with Slaf and Dvorsky has the main piece is pretty disapointing, when you look at other teams rebuild (Hughes/Hischier, Mackinnnon/Rantanen, McJesus/Drai, etc). That's why I really want us to pick Michkov and to have at least one prospect with all star offensive potential.
I agree that skipping Michkov would be malpractice at 5 overall. We haven't had the chance to draft such a prospect since probably Guy Lafleur, despite picking 1st last year and 3rd overall 2x.

I don't think our rebuild ends this year. Its one thing to want to tank, but its another thing to realise how hard it is to acquire the elite talent even when purposefully tanking.

We have to nail our pick. Wherever they are. We can't have another decade of failed 1st or another KK/Tkachuk. Thats it.

If Slaf pan out(he will), if we nail the 5th pick this year (Michkov on a silver platter is the absolute home run pick) we will be a in a very good spot.

Thats actually the same problem for the Leafs.

They had Matthews and Marner. Nailed Rielly and Nylander. But they failed every other selection. Amirov instead of Guhle or Mercer were franchise killing mistake for them. You need to pick the stars but you also need consistency.

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
It's hard looking at the playoffs and not thinking a guy like Leonard would help us tremendously. Will Michkov/Smith able/willing to make a difference, with their physical makeup and average skating? Tremendous talents for sure, but winning the cup requires warriors.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's hard looking at the playoffs and not thinking a guy like Leonard would help us tremendously. Will Michkov/Smith able/willing to make a difference, with their physical makeup and average skating? Tremendous talents for sure, but winning the cup requires warriors.

It's definitely a question to ask. I think it depends on how high end you think those guys will become and how much you think they will battle.

Reactions: Naslund

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

I prefer drafting exceptional talent, something we don't have a lot in our system, and surround them properly with complimentary players, something we have in abundance in our system. Leonard isn't an exceptional talent, even though he seems to have an exceptional approach to the game.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
It also requires skill and a good mix of both. You need skilled players with grit, but not all of them need to be. You just have to make sure your top 6 doesn't feature 4 softies like the TO mix of Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander. Whatever you try to add around those guys, that is still a ton of soft minutes being played.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
The more I think about it, the more I realize, I want nothing to do with Pierre Duc Lebois
Pierre-Luc Dubois is from Ste-Agathe des Monts in the Laurentians has always dreamt of playing for the Habs...gritty, talented, skates well, terrific shot and he has 6'3"...would make a great addition to the team.
I don't care if we wait a year and sign him as a free agent on July 1st, 2024.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
It also requires skill and a good mix of both. You need skilled players with grit, but not all of them need to be. You just have to make sure your top 6 doesn't feature 4 softies like the TO mix of Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander. Whatever you try to add around those guys, that is still a ton of soft minutes being played.
In our case, our Top 6 would feature Caufield, Michkov and Suzuki. Feels fairly soft to me.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Pierre-Luc Dubois is from Ste-Agathe des Monts in the Laurentians has always dreamt of playing for the Habs...gritty, talented, skates well, terrific shot and he has 6'3"...would make a great addition to the team.
I don't care if we wait a year and sign him as a free agent on July 1st, 2024.

As a UFA, anytime.

Not before.

In our case, our Top 6 would feature Caufield, Michkov and Suzuki. Feels fairly soft to me.

Then add Dach, Slafkovsky (hopefully he develops) and whoever else, grit is there. And wouldn't say Suzuki is soft.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I prefer drafting exceptional talent, something we don't have a lot in our system, and surround them properly with complimentary players, something we have in abundance in our system. Leonard isn't an exceptional talent, even though he seems to have an exceptional approach to the game.
Toronto is full of exceptional talents, but your talent has to be gritty as well. There is not a GM in the league that would prefer a guy like Marner over Tkachuk, even though Marner is a much better talent.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Toronto is full of exceptional talents, but your talent has to be gritty as well. There is not a GM in the league that would prefer a guy like Marner over Tkachuk, even though Marner is a much better talent.
Toronto Cotonelles. That’s why if Slaf can get his shit together he could be a bull in a china shop forcing plays in the playoffs.

I could add that if Dach can get stronger people will take him seriously when he gets chippy.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
There is not a team in the league that worry about Suzuki's physicality.

It's not because someone don't go ditch hits left and right that he's soft, it's not black and white, come on. Suzuki won't destroy anybody, but he can take a hit cause he's very strong on his skates, so yeah, he isn't soft. The Hurricanes won't ever be known as a physical team, yet they're winning, cause of how skilled and how well they all work together.

And Tkachuk is one of those rare modern powerforwards that can do it all (and Leonard isn't Tkachuk). Rare is the word here.

I'm one of those who craves physical play in the NHL, and can't wait to get some more intimidating players on the team (love Xhekaj for that reason), but I won't ever pass an opportunity for a potential exceptional talent like Michkov, could understand the worries about what's happening there, but because he's smallish ? He plays with grit, by the way, unless you also equate size with grit, if that's the case, well Leonard is 5'11, like Suzuki.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
On that note Bedard, Fantilli, Dvorsky and Leonard provide that talent and playoff grit that teams are seeking.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
On that note Bedard, Fantilli, Dvorsky and Leonard provide that talent and playoff grit that teams are seeking.
I'd honestly add Benson to that, while undersized, he's way more of a Konecny in his overall game than a Marner.

Speaking of Konecny, I'm im the Leafs I call the Flyers GM and offer Marner for Konecny, their first (draft Leonard) and maybe some other late pick.

They need players like this in their lineup quick, and that's assuming AM signs a new deal

Reactions: NekkiChiconey

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Reinbacher was good today against France, but they lost 2-1. Not the best game of his that I've ever seen, but he was responsible for several good plays. One shift was typical Reinbacher: created the controlled zone entry, later preserved that zone possession/trapped France in their zone with a well timed pinch, and then activated for a quality scoring chance. In one play, he both stopped a French rush, and created an odd-man rush for Austria with a poke check.
Invalid since its against France ;- )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad