HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
I've been saying for a while now I'm not sure how Will Smith has definitively seperated himself from the pack below. Up until that last tournament he was right in that mix.

Are we all really overrating that short sample to put him in the actual top players tier?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m no scout but watching some tape on Smith and he reminds me a lot of Kovalev lol. Might be a weird comparable but his combo of hands, shot, and underrated passing had me think of Kovy.

Doesn’t have the size and hopefully has better compete though. Wouldn’t be mad if we picked him up at 5.
Kovalev was a horse, had the edges of a god, the best hands ever, an absolute rocket ship of a shot and he played with that main character swagger that William Smith (Lame name) will never have.
He doesn't have clear number 1D written all over him.

He might be the best Defensemen out of the 2023 class but that's not saying much.
He doesn't even have the pedigree of a Jake Sanderson or a Mintyukov,Korchinski Mateychuk.

With the available offense potential available with a Top 5 pick in this draft, if you walk away with a top 4D then shame on us. I keep seeing the Moritz Seider comparison but I doubt he lives up to that as well.

You draft Kaiden Ghule and Justin Barron at 16 and 23 ..not 5th Overall...
Reinbacher has 1st pairing D all over him and he explodes Sandersons and Mintyukovs pedigree. Thats just ignorance on your part. He just played all-situation top pair for Kloten, eclipsed Josis numbers and did so while playing a rugger and defensively sound game.

His primary production alone would be good enough for the best season ever in the NL.

Your opinion is objectively false.
I've been saying for a while now I'm not sure how Will Smith has definitively seperated himself from the pack below. Up until that last tournament he was right in that mix.

Are we all really overrating that short sample to put him in the actual top players tier?
Yes. Yes we are. Its the only difference between now and the latest ranking, lol.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Was on EP looking at Benson’s playoff stats to see why all the buzz and was about to post WTF happened to him but cross checked with WHL stats and EP has his last 2 years mixed up, shows only 12 pts this year and 23 pts last year.

IMG_9998.png

• Wow
Reactions: WinterLion

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
2024 draft looks to be loaded on elite RD so taking Reinbacher for me is a no go unless Habs are actively trading down the draft for him and another asset. Also put some respect on Guhles name. In 5 years, he'll be a definite top 8 in a redraft
That's not a reliable drafting strategy. I still remember the narrative from last year on how this year was to be "loaded" on elite Centers, so no need to go for a C in 2022. Fast forward to now, there's no guarantee we're even picking a C, nor if the one we could be picking would be an elite one.

Either way we acquired Dach so our lineup ends up more balanced so all the better to Hughes for sticking to Slaf rather than go for needs, though the trade being in the works might have tipped the scales, who knows.

Bottomline is: go with whoever you think is BPA at your position this year, relying on next crop to fill a specific position is hazardous at best.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Moving from 5 to 3. Really, really doubtful that happens.

Columbus needs D, goaltending & centers. They can get a pretty good center at #
If Habs don’t want to risk the pick on Michkov, Hugues will identify the teams that are interested in him at 5. If Columbus are ok with one of Smith, Carlsson or Michkov, they might be interested in switching picks but it will be costly for Habs, obvious overpayment will be needed.

I can see the cost being 5OA + Florida’s 1st + a solid prospect (Beck, Roy, Mailloux kind)

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
29+Mesar+2nd to pick Matthew Wood. Yay or nay.
I agree with the narrative that Habs now needs to go for home run instead of quantity. We already have a lot of good to pretty good prospect but the elite kind is inexistant (maybe Hutson?).

Go for the fence. Wood would be interesting

Reactions: Garnet76

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
If Habs don’t want to risk the pick on Michkov, Hugues will identify the teams that are interested in him at 5. If Columbus are ok with one of Smith, Carlsson or Michkov, they might be interested in switching picks but it will be costly for Habs, obvious overpayment will be needed.

I can see the cost being 5OA + Florida’s 1st + a solid prospect (Beck, Roy, Mailloux kind)
It's been stated by CBJ GM/Pres they're targeting a center. So that crosses the possibility they trade down with us, barring massive overpayment

That leaves the window open only if:
-Columbus picks Smith.
-SJS like Carlsson/Michkov equally and would rather Habs make the choice for them and pay them for the privilege.
-Habs are so down on Mich they rather expend assets to take another guy than gamble on him.

Quite the combination, could happen but far from likely.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
That's not a reliable drafting strategy. I still remember the narrative from last year on how this year was to be "loaded" on elite Centers, so no need to go for a C in 2022. Fast forward to now, there's no guarantee we're even picking a C, nor if the one we could be picking would be an elite one.

Either way we acquired Dach so our lineup ends up more balanced so all the better to Hughes for sticking to Slaf rather than go for needs, though the trade being in the works might have tipped the scales, who knows.

Bottomline is: go with whoever you think is BPA at your position this year, relying on next crop to fill a specific position is hazardous at best.
Good thing is you can have the best of both worlds because reinbacher ain't bpa maybe until you get to 8-10. And the Habs with probably have a D be bpa with this pick next year. My point was don't reach on Reinbacher because Habs need a RD because there's always next year.

Also we knew you could get an elite C in the top 5 this year guaranteed unless you're blessed with michkov. And that turned out to be true

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I think we take either of the following:

Michkov <-- very high risk, could be a franchise / generational talent.
Dvorsky <-- low risk, safe bet to make NHL, could be really good.
Leonard <-- low risk, safe bet to make NHL, could be really good.

*I don't think Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith will be avail)
**I don't think Benson, Reinbacher, etc are in the conversation at 5

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The chance they pick Benson is very very low, probably close to 0. They just aren't drafting an undersized winger unless he's head and shoulders above the other guys which he isn't.

If they believe that Reinbacher is a future top pairing RD that's the guy they pick at 5. Only 1C is more valuable and harder to find than a legit top pair RD.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I think we take either of the following:

Michkov <-- very high risk, could be a franchise / generational talent.
Dvorsky <-- low risk, safe bet to make NHL, could be really good.
Leonard <-- low risk, safe bet to make NHL, could be really good.

*I don't think Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith will be avail)
**I don't think Benson, Reinbacher, etc are in the conversation at 5
I feel like that oversimplifies things a bit.
It's also comparing different types of risk, and possibly overestimating Michkovs one.

Is the risk THAT high he never ever plays in NHL or doesn't before 10years or so. Possible but highly likely? Don't agree.

As with the other two, low risk as in will eventually dress up for NHL games? Probably. But low risk they reach their more limited ceilings? Not as much. And how good do you quantify their "really good" compared to generationnal/elite?

I get your idea, but the equation all things considered leans far more in favor of Michkov, or a trade down if you really don't want him.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I feel like that oversimplifies things a bit.
It's also comparing different types of risk, and possibly overestimating Michkovs one.

Is the risk THAT high he never ever plays in NHL or doesn't before 10years or so. Possible but highly likely? Don't agree.

As with the other two, low risk as in will eventually dress up for NHL games? Probably. But low risk they reach their more limited ceilings? Not as much. And how good do you quantify their "really good" compared to generationnal/elite?

I get your idea, but the equation all things considered leans far more in favor of Michkov, or a trade down if you really don't want him.

I'm saying very high risk at the moment, until and when he speaks to Montreal and says I would LOVE to be drafted by you, I look forward to coming here in 3 years, I absolutely want to play for your team in the NHL as soon as my contract expires, I am 100% committed to doing so.

If that happens, the 'very high risk' is reduced and it's a green light for us to pull the trigger and take him at 5.

Yeah I think Dvorsky and Leonard will make the NHL for sure and he serviceable NHLers. Dvorsky seems a bit of an enigma, but I see him becoming a really good player. Leonard could be a 40+ goal man with sandpaper in his game. I would expect both of them to be 'elite'.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I'm saying very high risk at the moment, until and when he speaks to Montreal and says I would LOVE to be drafted by you, I look forward to coming here in 3 years, I absolutely want to play for your team in the NHL as soon as my contract expires, I am 100% committed to doing so.

If that happens, the 'very high risk' is reduced and it's a green light for us to pull the trigger and take him at 5.

Yeah I think Dvorsky and Leonard will make the NHL for sure and he serviceable NHLers. Dvorsky seems a bit of an enigma, but I see him becoming a really good player. Leonard could be a 40+ goal man with sandpaper in his game. I would expect both of them to be 'elite'.
Agree to disagree, but I hope you're right and whoever we pick pans out as elite :)

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
What are you disagreeing on?
I don't think Michkov has fueled concerns about potentially coming over, though publicly stating he'd can't wait for us to draft him would be great. I don't need that as a requirement to draft him.

As for Dvorsky/Leonard, I am not as high on them as you seem to be. They might have that top ceiling potential, but I'm far from sold on it and want more from a top 5 than a serviceable nhler.

All in all, I view the most satisfying outcome to be more likely us drafting Michkov than any of Dvorsky/Leonard but hope I'm wrong if management sees it otherwise.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I don't think Michkov has fueled concerns about potentially coming over, though publicly stating he'd can't wait for us to draft him would be great. I don't need that as a requirement to draft him.

As for Dvorsky/Leonard, I am not as high on them as you seem to be. They might have that top ceiling potential, but I'm far from sold on it and want more from a top 5 than a serviceable nhler.

All in all, I view the most satisfying outcome to be more likely us drafting Michkov than any of Dvorsky/Leonard but hope I'm wrong if management sees it otherwise.

Ahh, I mean, none of us really know anything... we're all literally just talking crap and this is all just 100% pure speculation. My personal opinion on these players changes almost daily as I watch more and more video, lol.

I think the choice to take Michkov is easy (as he is on par with Bedard talent wise), but having some assurances that he would love to play for us as soon as he can (i.e in 3yrs) and whatnot would be great. Worst case scenario is taking him and have it be a wasted pick because he takes forever to come over or something for whatever reason. Imagine he signs for another 3yrs after his original 3yr contract is up.. yikes, that is the risk I'm talking about.

If we determine Michkov is a risk, Leonard and Dvorsky seem like 2 obvious alternatives given the styles they play and their size. I'm not super high on either... they're in a different tier than the top 4, but they should be good players.

Reactions: Takeru
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad