HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He definitely picks some cherries, but good lord, shooting more than 5 times per game against pros as an 18 year old has gotta be unprecedented.

I really, really wonder how he wouldve done in the CHL. A lot of people just dont understand the level of skill that Michkov has.

This IIHF russia ban really does suck in that sense.

I know there’s big Shane Wright fans in these parts, but Michkov fights for the puck as a Winger behind his own net against KHLers. Which was basically a no-go zone for Wright in the OHL playing the Center position. We’re dealing with a player that’s built like a tank that fights all over the boards in the defensive zone without thinking twice. Plus the motor is always running.
The motor definitely isnt always running 😂

He does have that pitbull tendency at times, he shows intensity that rivals Benson, but sometimes hes also Will Smith. He has swings, but what is nice is that hes shown he can do it when he wants it.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
They could very well take Michkov, especially if Carlsson is gone to Columbus. I just don't see Columbus passing on a big center.

My expectation is: Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson then SJS take Michkov.

That leaves Smith.
If you consider that we could have easily been picking lower down in the draft, having the possibility of selecting Will Smith st #5 would be great for the Habs organization going forward.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I really, really wonder how he wouldve done in the CHL. A lot of people just dont understand the level of skill that Michkov has.

He does have that pitbull tendency at times, he shows intensity that rivals Benson, but sometimes hes also Will Smith. He has swings, but what is nice is that hes shown he can do it when he wants it.
He would have dummied the CHL. And not in a ''Slaf would have scored 60 goals in the OHL'' kinda way, but like, actually, not just pretend.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Guarantee you he can turn it on and keep it in like every other elite Russian can. Kucherov type approach.

God I want him so badly

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
If you consider that we could have easily been picking lower down in the draft, having the possibility of selecting Will Smith st #5 would be great for the Habs organization going forward.
Or if you consider we should have easily been picking top 3 except I'm just happy we won those games vs the Isles and Sabres...for the culture.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not enough puck for all the boys lol
Hutson will QB the PP by breaking ankles and giving the puck to Michkov (like that Markov to Galchenyuk play), or give it to Mailloux who could rip it like Burns or feed CC (like that Carlsson to Ovi play). Should work in theory but gotta try it out. Anything beats having Gally, Anderson and Armia do nothing with it, Drouin turning it over and Hoffman hitting the forecheckers shin.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Is Smith a pure rush player or those In-zone stats are the result of how his team plays?
I would categorise both Smith and Benson has potential star forward the only difference is that Smith is bigger a center and more raw while Benson is small, a winger and more of a certainty. Benson give me a Brayden Point vibe while Smith is more like a Zegras. Hard to chose between both IMO.

29+Mesar+2nd to pick Matthew Wood. Yay or nay.
Anyday of the week. Wood will be a top 10 pick.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Start of the season as usual, his height was updated from 5'09 to 5'10 in september on the WHL website and the EP one.

Those are not official team measurements, they are submitted by the player and their agent. This is why so many undersized CHLers measure smaller at the combine where they are publicly measured by a third party. Benson looks short when I watch him, he skates with a hunch but I suspect he may be under 5'10"

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
10 times a day
I would categorise both Smith and Benson has potential star forward the only difference is that Smith is bigger a center and more raw while Benson is small, a winger and more of a certainty. Benson give me a Brayden Point vibe while Smith is more like a Zegras. Hard to chose between both IMO.

Anyday of the week. Wood will be a top 10 pick.
Point is a pretty lazy comparable for Benson, not gonna lie.
Those are not official team measurements, they are submitted by the player and their agent. This is why so many undersized CHLers measure smaller at the combine where they are publicly measured by a third party. Benson looks short when I watch him, he skates with a hunch but I suspect he may be under 5'10"

If you play sports at a competitive level you get your measurements taken every training camps. Also physical tests.

Now that doesnt mean that the numbers arent tampered, I was 6' 240 most of my football career, but I never measured once over 6', always 5'11 and 3/4.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
It's understandable we're scared of Benson because of his size.

But also, if he's the BPA, he's the BPA...

It's really hard to predict what these players will become in 4..5..6..7 years...

We could be kicking ourselves for passing on a player because of size, or we could regret drafting another simply because he is a bit taller.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Very yes.

In general I hope they do some quantity for quality moves. There's not gonna be room for all of Farrell, Roy, Ylonen, Heineman, Mesar, RHP, etc etc. on the NHL roster so would be nice to package some of those assets to get a bigger piece.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
These stats are what they are, but there's too much positive data (stats, microstats, on-ice play, attitude) on Benson for me to rank him below Smith. Benson is and will be an amazing player.

From the Habs' perspective, he's the one who will be a game-breaker wherever he plays. Will Smith needs the puck on his stick to be effective, Benson doesn't. He's one of the best forecheckers in the draft, and possibly the best defensive forward as well. Oh, and did I forget to mention he has top-5 IQ/vision in the class?

Hughes said he doesn't care about size this year (is that true or not, idk), but skill + character screams Zach Benson to me.
If we truly want Zach Benson....we could move down a few spots...pick up another 1st round pick and still take Benson.

Reactions: Rozz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad