HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is it just SJS posters with a gut feel or does anyone have some actual sources/speculation from plugged in people leading their fans to thinking Michkov is their guy?

Cause if someone came to our board they'd get the impression we were taking Dvorsky no matter what and that's baseless speculation, not that it isn't within the realm of possibility.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Right who would want the best hockey IQ since 2019, amirite?
Strike 1: Winger
Strike 2: Undersized
Strike 3: Not a concensus BPA at that spot (unlike Michkov), only part of that tier of players

They aren't picking Benson.

Is it just SJS posters with a gut feel or does anyone have some actual sources/speculation from plugged in people leading their fans to thinking Michkov is their guy?

Cause if someone came to our board they'd get the impression we were taking Dvorsky no matter what and that's baseless speculation, not that it isn't within the realm of possibility.
Grier is on record saying ownership wants a fast rebuild and they are in love with Carlsson.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
And Tkachuk is one of those rare modern powerforwards that can do it all (and Leonard isn't Tkachuk). Rare is the word here.
How do you know? Tkachuk is amazing now but if we compare their talent pre draft, they are close and I would personally give the nod to Leonard. He is way better skater than Tkachuk and his shot, playmaking, compete and physicality is on par. I cannot understand somebody that like combination of physicality and talent would discredit Leonard.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Strike 3: Not a concensus BPA at that spot (unlike Michkov), only part of that tier of players

Grier is on record saying ownership wants a fast rebuild and they are in love with Carlsson.

I still am looking for something verifiable that says they are interested in Michkov or Carlsson to the point the fan base is convinced that is their pick.

Obviously if Carlsson is there at 4, they SHOULD be taking him but that's a different thing entirely.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Both Michkov and Benson are 5'10, Leonard is 5'11.

Thats a whole two centimeters if difference between a size pick and a problematic midget team.

I love this board.
True. Even though Smith may as well be Caufields size with the way he plays. It's not like you would count Crosby as a "small" player when constructing your roster/lines and he's probably around 5'10. Benson is in this mold and he could get to 185-190 lbs.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Vachon23

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't care if they bluff us and would have taken Michkov at 4 anyway, if Carlsson is there at 4 I'm ponying up picks to flip with SJ to go get him. Sharks needs quantity, their prospect pool is not good.
They won’t do it. Sharks can create an elite Swedish line of Bystedt and Eklund with Carlsson. Don’t see how they pass that up.

If they want more picks they should be trading Karlsson as his value is at an absolute peak.

Reactions: McGees

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I still am looking for something verifiable that says they are interested in Michkov or Carlsson to the point the fan base is convinced that is their pick.

Obviously if Carlsson is there at 4, they SHOULD be taking him but that's a different thing entirely.
Well Grier was pictured sharing an ice cream sundae with Michkov recently, does that count as enough proof?

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

Well RIP Carlsson.

Aside from that, where did the rumour CBJ were interested in Smith come from? Aside from them targetting a center, which you could also look at from the perspective of drafting whichever's left between Fantili/Carlsson should the Ducks go slightly off board.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well RIP Carlsson.

Aside from that, where did the rumour CBJ were interested in Smith come from? Aside from them targetting a center, which you could also look at from the perspective of drafting whichever's left between Fantili/Carlsson should the Ducks go slightly off board.

Portzline who is their connected beat writer (not always correct, btw) said that they were really high on Smith, now that was more if they fell to 4.. Carlsson could still be their guy.

Reactions: Takeru

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

Benson has been a top 5-6 consensus all year. And if Michkov isn’t in their plan Benson is 100% BPA.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well RIP Carlsson.

CBJ high on Smith, SJS high on Carlsson.

Historically Jarmo is kind a wildcard though...so you can't be 100% sure with him but for all intents and purposes we shouldn't have any surprise in the top 4 with Bedard, Fantilli, Smith and Carlsson in that order.

Reactions: Takeru

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Benson has been a top 5-6 consensus all year. And if Michkov isn’t in their plan Benson is 100% BPA.

I keep seeing and hearing that Benson has slipped a bit.. he was down to 8 on Bob's list, of course he prefaced that Benson could go top 5 if Michkov doesn't, but he said the same of Dvorsky, Leonard, and Perreault. I'd say Reinbacher is there, too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

The Habs need wingers more than Cs.
The Habs picked a massive rhino last year, have 6'4 dach, 6'2 Heineman, maybe Dubois and Suzukis built like a brick-shit house, why does this matter? Benson is the same size as Michkov and plays way more physical than a guy like Smith.
He has been consensus top 5 for 24 months now. Hes 6th on my list.

True. Even though Smith may as well be Caufields size with the way he plays. It's not like you would count Crosby as a "small" player when constructing your roster/lines and he's probably around 5'10. Benson is in this mold and he could get to 185-190 lbs.

Benson has a lot of the same qualities that made Crosby as good as he is. Hard to quantify why Crosby is/was so good, just like Benson.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
According to? You?

The reality is he's in that 6 to 10 tier with the likes of Dvorsky, Reinbacher and Leonard. When players are in the same tier teams value position therefore they'll pick the centers and dmen before the wings. Especially a team like Montreal.

GM's know it's easy to find top 6 wings on the market (trade or UFA) but it's a lot tougher to find a good 1C/2C or a top pairing D, you have to draft them.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
According to? You?

The reality is he's in that 6 to 10 tier with the likes of Dvorsky, Reinbacher and Leonard. When players are in the same tier teams value position therefore they'll pick the centers and dmen before the wings. Especially a team like Montreal who's already strong on the wing and weaker elsewhere.

GM's know it's easy to find top 6 wings on the market (trade or UFA) but it's a lot tougher to find a good 1C/2C or a top pairing D, you have to draft them.
Strong on the wing? The team literally has one NHL quality winger right now?

Hes in the same tier as Smith, the 3rd tier behind Carlsson and Fantilli.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Habs will take Dvorsky/Leonard.
Michkov falls to Caps.
Bookmarking this.
2027 is the year Gorton and Hughes are fired.

Why is Michkov described ‘’soft’’ ? Because of his height?

I just watched him 2 days ago, a game from last week, he is not soft at all… he has grit and intensity in him.
He is a pitbull on the ice. He plays quick. He is far from soft.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
CBJ high on Smith, SJS high on Carlsson.

Historically Jarmo is kind a wildcard though...so you can't be 100% sure with him but for all intents and purposes we shouldn't have any surprise in the top 4 with Bedard, Fantilli, Smith and Carlsson in that order.
CBJ might go Dvorsky at 3 if that is the center they prefer, they love their grit there. Anaheim could go Michkov or Smith at 2. Obviously that does not seem plausible today but a lot of weird, improbable things happen at the draft.

Kirby Dach was a surprise at 3. PLD at 3 surprised everyone. Wright at 4th etc.

Apparently Carlsson stutters, personally i don't care, young Joe Biden stuttered. But it may be enough to turn off a pseudo alpha male GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad