HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
At pick#29...I really like Nick Lardis....great skater who has a terrific shot.
If he is picked...Ethan Gauthier would be a solid pick...does everything very well....great hockey instincts.
I like Lardis but I think if we can somehow land Willander there then it's a home run pick for the value.

If no goalies were taken, I'd settle with a goalie at 37, if a goalie was taken before 29, I might feel a necessity and grab whichever is available between Hrabal and Fowler (assuming Willander is not available)

If both these scenarios are impossible and Danill But is available, I swing for the fences and grab him here

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's not a reliable drafting strategy. I still remember the narrative from last year on how this year was to be "loaded" on elite Centers, so no need to go for a C in 2022. Fast forward to now, there's no guarantee we're even picking a C, nor if the one we could be picking would be an elite one.

Either way we acquired Dach so our lineup ends up more balanced so all the better to Hughes for sticking to Slaf rather than go for needs, though the trade being in the works might have tipped the scales, who knows.

Bottomline is: go with whoever you think is BPA at your position this year, relying on next crop to fill a specific position is hazardous at best.
Plus a lot changes in a year. At this point last year, Cam Allen was the top defenceman for the 2023 draft.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At pick#29...I really like Nick Lardis....great skater who has a terrific shot.
If he is picked...Ethan Gauthier would be a solid pick...does everything very well....great hockey instincts.

I like Lardis.. not the biggest kid but at 29 you don't worry about size. He can wheel and snipe.

0 interest in Ethan Gauthier until mid 2nd round.. last thing the Habs need is another middle 6 forward.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I agree that skipping Michkov would be malpractice at 5 overall. We haven't had the chance to draft such a prospect since probably Guy Lafleur, despite picking 1st last year and 3rd overall 2x.

I don't think our rebuild ends this year. Its one thing to want to tank, but its another thing to realise how hard it is to acquire the elite talent even when purposefully tanking.

We have to nail our pick. Wherever they are. We can't have another decade of failed 1st or another KK/Tkachuk. Thats it.

If Slaf pan out(he will), if we nail the 5th pick this year (Michkov on a silver platter is the absolute home run pick) we will be a in a very good spot.

Thats actually the same problem for the Leafs.

They had Matthews and Marner. Nailed Rielly and Nylander. But they failed every other selection. Amirov instead of Guhle or Mercer were franchise killing mistake for them. You need to pick the stars but you also need consistency.
No actually, the Habs had the chance to pick one in 1980 in Denis Savard but decided to take Doug Wickenheiser. Oof

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
In our case, our Top 6 would feature Caufield, Michkov and Suzuki. Feels fairly soft to me.
Caufield is soft for sure. Suzuki not so much, but not a physical presence for sure. Michkov, we will see, he is not in the team ATM. Slaf is however. Dubois, if we get him, is a bigger guy with some physical presence. Dach also. The mix isn't too bad.

Reactions: phillytennis

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
No actually, the Habs had the chance to pick one in 1980 in Denis Savard but decided to take Doug Wickenheiser. Oof
Ouch. So since we have this opportunity probably once in many decades, i hope we won't skip Michkov for nebulous reasons.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Caufield is soft for sure. Suzuki not so much, but not a physical presence for sure. Michkov, we will see, he is not in the team ATM. Slaf is however. Dubois, if we get him, is a bigger guy with some physical presence. Dach also. The mix isn't too bad.
Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Dubois - Dach - Michkov

In three years, when they all between 21-28, it is a top of the league top six mate.

Then we get Smith at 5.

If we won't pick Michkov - we can't lose if he goes ahead of us.

If we will pick Michkov - we can't lose no matter what.
The more i think about it, i don't even think Michkov is there at 5.

We are all focused on the risk, but what if he comes after three f***ing years? Michkov has the potential to be a top 5-10 players in the league in his prime.

If Anaheim feels strongly about it, they might snag him 2 for all we know. Same for San Jose.

I understand CBJ position, they are in a different spot.

It is such a f***ing no-brainer at 5.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Then we get Smith at 5.

If we won't pick Michkov - we can't lose if he goes ahead of us.

If we will pick Michkov - we can't lose no matter what.
Oh for sure, if you're taking it in the sense of "bulletproofing" our pick, that's a win-win.

But in the sense of getting Carlsson at 5OA, Sharks targetting Michkov is not the greatest obstacle imo.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Leonard is at best 1-1.5in taller than Michkov and 2-2.5in taller than Benson.
While Leonard is the most physical, the other two are quite gnarly + drive their line.
Calm down with the Leonard playoff warrior fable, there is no universe where you pick him top-5 for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Leonard is at best 1-1.5in taller than Michkov and 2-2.5in taller than Benson.
While Leonard is the most physical, the other two are quite gnarly + drive their line.
Calm down with the Leonard playoff warrior fable, there is no universe where you pick him top-5 for me.
Both Michkov and Benson are 5'10, Leonard is 5'11.

Thats a whole two centimeters if difference between a size pick and a problematic midget team.

I love this board.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Don't know if this was posted.

Love the transparency and how direct they are. So basically, Davidson confirming they will go with a center between: Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith.

San Jose will have the choice to decide between Michkov and the other "C" and if we don't do anything stupid, we should have the easiest choice of the top 5.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Don't know if this was posted.

Love the transparency and how direct they are. So basically, Davidson confirming they will go with a center between: Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith.

San Jose will have the choice to decide between Michkov and the other "C" and if we don't do anything stupid, we should have the easiest choice of the top 5.

It's easy when you're 3rd.

The problem is what does San Jose actually feel about this draft.

We're assuming that San Jose is torn between Smith and Michkov. Teams don't give a f*** about outside evaluations. They could have Dvorsky as 3rd overall, or Reinbacher at 2nd, or Wood at 4th.

If Hughes goes out there and gives glowing reviews about Michkov, then maybe a team like San Jose goes to Montreal to get something out of them so they don't pick Michkov. Or, like I said, San Jose has their own rankings that differ from the norm, so they're not afraid to trade back a few spots and let another team move up and take Michkov.

Smith isn't that bad of a consolation prize, but if you were building a team right now and your first pick is between Smith and Michkov and contracts don't matter, you have full control over the player after you select, everyone is taking Michkov.

The sad part is we have to wait over a month to see who the Habs take.

As for Leonard. I only suggested Montreal take him if they trade back to get more assets because Michkov is still there and they don't want to take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad