HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
On what basis?
Detroit won Cups because they picked Russians during the Cold War. Washington had a russian Captain raising the Cup and winning the playoff MVP a couple of years ago. I could add that i believe the Pens would too. But some other teams would be like Montreal and would stay away.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
I don't think Detroit, Arizona or Washington would pass on him
Speculation and logic.

Arizona is looking for a star.
They have 6th and 12.
They could take a chance with Michkov at 6 and still have another high pick on a good year.

Detroit is looking for a offensive star.
They have 9th and 18th
They could take a chance with Michkov.

Washington would like to have a Ovy replacement.

Maybe other teams would also be glad to trade up to Michkov

If Montreal don't want a take the Russian, there is a oportunity...

Reactions: rochab

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the video. What's your thoughts on Michkov?
He looked bigger, faster, then when I last saw him in the MHL when he was teammates with Hab prospect Alexander Gordin. He reminds me of Caufield. I think the Habs will look closely at trying to get bigger as Caufield, Farrell, Roy, Kidney, so many of their forward prospects either lack height, weight, speed, skating or various combos of all. Slaf and Dach of course help, I wouldn't count on Tuch being more then a 4th liner at least so far. Biondi is big but the skating is rough.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Detroit won Cups because they picked Russians during the Cold War. Washington had a russian Captain raising the Cup and winning the playoff MVP a couple of years ago. I could add that i believe the Pens would too. But some other teams would be like Montreal and would stay away.

Perhaps. I think it will come down mostly to risk aversion. I could see the Habs actually being one of the teams best suited to swing for the fences because they have so much depth already in the pool... I guess we'll find out in not too long!

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Marty Lapointe was on those Wings teams using this logic the Habs should also take him.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

I loved this when I first saw it. Gorton gets it. Too often Habs have thought by going " solid" they would get a player and they were wrong. Look at Carbonneau, tremendous defensive player, was a scoring machine in junior. Always go for the talent.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
So we're scared of Michkov not coming over when he's attending the draft and other KHL guys signed with their respective teams, but we're not afraid of him coming over and making us look bad for passing up on him? Nice! We better f***ing trade up if that's the case.

We're gonna draft good guy Vanilla Reinbacher and you're gonna love his character. :sarcasm:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He looked bigger, faster, then when I last saw him in the MHL when he was teammates with Hab prospect Alexander Gordin. He reminds me of Caufield. I think the Habs will look closely at trying to get bigger as Caufield, Farrell, Roy, Kidney, so many of their forward prospects either lack height, weight, speed, skating or various combos of all. Slaf and Dach of course help, I wouldn't count on Tuch being more then a 4th liner at least so far. Biondi is big but the skating is rough.

Only Caufield really has PPG+ potential. Passing on Michkov for size because of Roy, Farrell and Kidney would be flawed imo.

I think that argument more fittingly applies to Benson.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Smith had his IIHF tourney and launched up the rankings. It’s very possible that Reinbacher does the same starting tomorrow at the worlds, and then we may be looking at a different top 5 then the one most people are accepting as gospel now.

#patience
#itsgoingtobeallgood
#KotanemiwasBergevinsfaultnotHugO
I’m excited to see if he tilts the ice at all because he’s not on a good team. He was doing everything for the WJC version.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Wouldn't you think Columbus would rather take the Northeastern American kid? I also have a feeling that the Sharks will take Michkov but I think the likelihood of that goes down if Carlsson is available so I hope your expectations become a reality cause Hughes basically said if they don't think Michkovs talent level is noticeably above that of the draftees around him, they ain't taking him

Big centers with two way games are premium players. They're not available all that much and Carlsson is a good one. I just don't see them passing him up.

But don’t Sharks need a top C?

They need everything. They have one of the weakest prospect systems in NHL. Zero depth at any position.

They'll be back in the lottery in 2024 & 2025.

I don't see them prioritizing center position, especially with Couture & Hertl taking up 2 top 6 spots for the next 4 years.

The chance to get a scorer like Michkov, who can bring dynamic qualities will be too good for them to pass up. He matches their rebuild timeline too. They're easily 3 years out from actually graduating a roster of prospects.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Speculation and logic.

Arizona is looking for a star.
They have 6th and 12.
They could take a chance with Michkov at 6 and still have another high pick on a good year.

Detroit is looking for a offensive star.
They have 9th and 18th
They could take a chance with Michkov.

Washington would like to have a Ovy replacement.

Maybe other teams would also be glad to trade up to Michkov

If Montreal don't want a take the Russian, there is a oportunity...

If we had #17 we could also take a chance on Michkov at 5

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I wonder if there’s any teams with a Luke Hughes type prospect we could trade the 5th for - someone close to stepping in.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Wasn’t that the idea of drafting Geekie?

Yeah, Arizona probably drafts one of Reinbacher or ASP. I could also see them being interested in a player like Leonard, Benson or Perreault.

They have Hayton, Cooley, Geekie & Aku Raty (who had an excellent season in Liiga) already.

I expect them to go RD, winger.

Reactions: le_sean

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Pittsburgh doesn't really have anything at this point to facilitate that type of deal..

That's best case Ontario for Habs management. They get the guy they probably want, don't have to pay assets to move up and don't get crucified for passing in Michkov.

We also don't want to trade out of top 10.

Reactions: Frank JT

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Only Caufield really has PPG+ potential. Passing on Michkov for size because of Roy, Farrell and Kidney would be flawed imo.

I think that argument more fittingly applies to Benson.
We can't pass on small talented player in the top5 this year, only because we got some long shot small prospects, don't understand that non sense.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
So we're scared of Michkov not coming over when he's attending the draft and other KHL guys signed with their respective teams, but we're not afraid of him coming over and making us look bad for passing up on him? Nice! We better f***ing trade up if that's the case.
I think that is the media/fan spin.

Hughes always talk in term of risk to reward ratio.

Hughes and Gorton will recognise the opportunity to draft an exceptional, rare talent at a very good pick.

Its an even bigger risk to not select him, especially once the Fantilli and Carlsson are gone.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
I think that is the media/fan spin.

Hughes always talk in term of risk to reward ratio.

Hughes and Gorton will recognise the opportunity to draft an exceptional, rare talent at a very good pick.

Its an even bigger risk to not select him, especially once the Fantilli and Carlsson are gone.
I can trust Hughes and Gorton to select Michkov, but not Molson. He really didn't appreciate the Mailloux circus and I think he will use the long contract in Russia as an excuse.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I can trust Hughes and Gorton to select Michkov, but not Molson. He really didn't appreciate the Mailloux circus and I think he will use the long contract in Russia as an excuse.
Obviously he didn't like what happened with Mailloux, but this situation is very very different. Do you really think there will be a moral backlash to drafting a Russian player in Montreal? I highly doubt it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Maybe they can prepare a press conference in advance to apologize for drafting a Russian player the day after the draft,

• Haha
Reactions: TomKosto

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Obviously he didn't like what happened with Mailloux, but this situation is very very different. Do you really think there will be a moral backlash to drafting a Russian player in Montreal? I highly doubt it.
With the war, contract, etc, I can easy see a media backslash (we have the worst), and Molson don't like bad press. I really really hope I'm wrong, but I just don't feel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad