HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
With the war, contract, etc, I can easy see a media backslash (we have the worst), and Molson don't like bad press. I really really hope I'm wrong, but I just don't feel it.

I think there are enough legit reasons to pass on a Russian player that are way bigger than a possible media backlash... I just don't buy it. Geoff is not an idiot, he must understand how important it would be for the team to get a franchise player.

IMO If they don't take him it will be because the risks are too high... or they like someone better.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
With the war, contract, etc, I can easy see a media backslash (we have the worst), and Molson don't like bad press. I really really hope I'm wrong, but I just don't feel it.
No the backlash will be the fact that we are uncertain of his arrival. Maybe one mouthpiece will say something dumb about him being Russian, but I highly doubt it will be parroted by everyone.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Medias say crazy shits about the young talented Russian
True and everyone should take it with a grain of salt. I do not believe the size of Connor Bedard would have scared them and Michkov size should not either. However, everyone should chill out regarding prospect, MTL could very well pass on him and I would trust there judgement that it would be for the right reasons.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
These guys mock Habs with Michkov (one of them has CBJ taking Michkov leaving us with Smith)

Why are they saying he would come in 4 years?
Thought it was 3?
wtffffffff

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
If Smith goes 3 and we are hellbent on not taking Michkov, try to trade a bunch of picks to flip with SJ to get Carlsson.
The real question is whether Will Smith is actually an “elite” prospect? The one game I saw him play in-person he displayed above average skills but I wasn’t blown away. But yeah, it was just one of the 90 or so games he played this year and I doubt he cared that I was there.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
So, are we gonna be like this for the next 6-7 weeks until the draft? Letting the media create drama and doubt and now we are spitting on the best talent out of Russia since Ovechkin? When we always had great affinity for Russian players: Emelin, Sergachev, Radulov, Kovalchuk, Semin, Samsonov, Dadonov, Gurianov, Sherback, Kostitsyn's and the best of them all, general Andrei Markov and the Artiste himself, Alexei Kovalev.

Take a chill pill. Right now, everybody wants to speculate and every media wants the clicks. Everything is speculative. Matvei Michkov is the best talent we would have drafted since Guy Lafleur. Not kidding.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wonder if there’s any teams with a Luke Hughes type prospect we could trade the 5th for - someone close to stepping in.
No but theres Reinbacher in the draft, whos an october birthday playing first pairing all situation D in a mens league. If hes not ready in 2023, hes 100% good to go in 2024.

But why does this matter? Need high end talent.

Reactions: McGees

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So, are we gonna be like this for the next 6-7 weeks until the draft? Letting the media create drama and doubt and now we are spitting on the best talent out of Russia since Ovechkin? When we always had great affinity for Russian players: Emelin, Sergachev, Radulov, Kovalchuk, Semin, Samsonov, Dadonov, Gurianov, Sherback, Kostitsyn's and the best of them all, general Andrei Markov and the Artiste himself, Alexei Kovalev.

Take a chill pill. Right now, everybody wants to speculate and every media wants the clicks. Everything is speculative. Matvei Michkov is the best talent we would have drafted since Guy Lafleur. Not kidding.

Damn right

Take Michkov, end of story

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I want Michkov, he's been my favorite prospect for this draft. Seriously, Michkov has freaking bulldof/pittbull energey in him. He's a fierce competitor. He showed that on international level especially when going up against Bedard. He's even better than Bedard in some confrontations.

Michkov is an elite superstar talent. He's fun to watch and he would be exactly what would bring back excitement into this city. But with that being said, I don't think he will be there when we draft. I think it will go like this:

1. Chicago Dickheads: Connor Bedard
2. Anaheim Ducks: Adam Fantilli
3. Columbus Blue Jackets: Leo Carlsson
4. San Jose Sharks: Matvei Michkov
5. Montreal Canadiens: Will Smith

i think Will Smith is the weakest of the top 5 and with the most flaws. On a purely hockey standpoint, Smith is not on the same talent as the rest of the top 4. Zach Benson is a better competitor than Smith and has great talent as well. I think Benson has equal gamebreaking ability than Smith and he's not talked enough.

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
No but theres Reinbacher in the draft, whos an october birthday playing first pairing all situation D in a mens league. If hes not ready in 2023, hes 100% good to go in 2024.

But why does this matter? Need high end talent.
I think Reinbacher is going to make a lot of scouts and fans look silly in the near future. He's much better than people give him credit for.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Jeff Gorton hockeydb scout confirmed.

I think Reinbacher is going to make a lot of scouts and fans look silly in the near future. He's much better than people give him credit for.

Definitely doesn't get the respect that the best d-year season ever in the NL should afford him, particularly given his overall profile as a prospect. IMO people will be saying ''is X the next Reinbacher?'' in a few years.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Jeff Gorton hockeydb scout confirmed.

Definitely doesn't get the respect that the best d-year season ever in the NL should afford him, particularly given his overall profile as a prospect. IMO people will be saying ''is X the next Reinbacher?'' in a few years.

Maybe that will be a bad thing.....dman stats can be very misleading as much of their production can be due to the style of play of their respective teams. Teams that don't score off transitions and cycle the puck low don't allow defenders to get touches and accrue easy secondary assists. Maybe the Reinbacher story will be a cautionary tale about the pitfalls of putting too much value on stats.

I am not saying that I think he will bust but I am wary of the comparisons that are being made between prospects from different years/teams who played in the same league.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
These guys mock Habs with Michkov (one of them has CBJ taking Michkov leaving us with Smith)

Thought it was 3?
wtffffffff

That's what I was wondering, too.

Either everyone else is wrong and they're right, or like most they don't actually follow much and just enjoy the gig.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Thought it was 3?
wtffffffff

It could be 3 years, it could be 4 years, it could be 8 years or it could be never.

The reality is we don't know when he will come, we just know that it take minimum 3 yrs

• Wow
Reactions: McGees and Frank JT

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It could be 3 years, it could be 4 years, it could be 8 years or it could be never.

The reality is we don't know when he will come, we just know that it take minimum 3 yrs
Not even. He can buy out his contract and come.

It should be minimum three years. But it could be 2, or never.

We can all only speculate.

Thing is, on the opposite end of him not coming, when is the last time we had the chance to get such a talent ? Lafleur maybe?

Getting a 5th overall is not tough. Getting a player like Michkov is sometimes impossible even when you win the 1st overall.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Not even. He can buy out his contract and come.

It should be minimum three years. But it could be 2, or never.

We can all only speculate.

Thing is, on the opposite end of him not coming, when is the last time we had the chance to get such a talent ? Lafleur maybe?

Getting a 5th overall is not tough. Getting a player like Michkov is sometimes impossible even when you win the 1st overall.

Getting Michkov at 5 would likely make up for Slafkovsky at 1 last year.

The funny thing is, had Michkov been in last years draft he would’ve been the slam dunk #1 pick even with the Russia factor.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I like Carlsson so much that if I get the impression that he'll be gone for sure before #5 I might be willing to move up a spot or two. Columbus might be willing to do business, they have a lot of needs and they're stuck in a weird sorta win now but not really mode, with Laine and Gaudreau.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad