HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
True, but I have no faith in anyone who is in charge of the Habs, so I'm already assuming they're passing on Michkov if he's there.
The risk thing is a bit of a cop out. Are you sure that he’ll be a “much better” player than you’re 5OA pick, if ever he plays in the NHL? HuGo: yes.
Will he play one day in the NHL,in 2, 4, 6, 8 years? HuGo: yes.

The real reason is not to want to associate the Habs to Russia right now. It’s wanting to be holier than thou, aka virtue signalling.

Reactions: habsfan891

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
The risk thing is a bit of a cop out. Are you sure that he’ll be a “much better” player than you’re 5OA pick, if ever he plays in the NHL? HuGo: yes.

The real reason is not to want to associate the Habs to Russia right now. It’s wanting to be holier than thou, aka virtue signalling.
huh-ew.gif

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
Aydar Suniev.

Discuss.
Criminally overlooked.

Awful skater (poor edges, weak acceleration and strides and low top speed), but he's got pretty much every other tool in his game; IQ, high motor, soft mitts, NHL caliber shot, goes to dirty areas, willingness to support over 200 ft...

Send him to a skating coach and hope that he improves. If he does, he's going to be one heck of a threat out there. If not then it's going to hold him back quite a bit.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Criminally overlooked.

Awful skater (poor edges, weak acceleration and strides and low top speed), but he's got pretty much every other tool in his game; IQ, high motor, soft mitts, NHL caliber shot, goes to dirty areas, willingness to support over 200 ft...

Send him to a skating coach and hope that he improves. If he does, he's going to be one heck of a threat out there. If not then it's going to hold him back quite a bit.

Maybe it's just me and I can't quantify the skating at the BCHL level all that well, but I haven't really seen his skating be that much of an issue..

But yeah, the rest of his tool-kit is really really nice. I'm super high on him and I feel like I never hear anyone else talk about him, but there's plenty of Nadeau noise for late 1st round and I've always liked Suniev better even if Nadeau's got that one elite tool - his shot.

Reactions: Cubebrick

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hmm. Hughes took massive risk to start his agency business. The man is savvy. I am not sure he is passing on Michkov. But more than that, i don't even think Michkov is there at 5.

Not like he can't go back to it. It's almost best case for everyone that Michkov isn't there at 5, OR something completely bananas happens and there's Michkov and Smith/Carlsson at 5.

Pretty much. It shows Russians are coming over and still can, so passing at this point because of that is a cop out.

Now, if things escalate and there's a legitimate risk that he might not come over, then I can accept passing on him, but right now, there's no legitimate reason to pass on Michkov that I've heard.

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
Maybe it's just me and I can't quantify the skating at the BCHL level all that well, but I haven't really seen his skating be that much of an issue..

But yeah, the rest of his tool-kit is really really nice. I'm super high on him and I feel like I never hear anyone else talk about him, but there's plenty of Nadeau noise for late 1st round and I've always liked Suniev better even if Nadeau's got that one elite tool - his shot.

For what it's worth, I saw the Vees live against the Warriors back in early October. I'd say the speed of the game and the overall quality of skaters is a solid notch below the CHL. And Suniev's skating was on-par or even slower than the other players at times. Mind you, that was back in October and it's only one live viewing. He wasn't on my radar back then but he left a good impression (ended with with 2g 2a if I remember correctly and was much more noticeable than Nadeau).

I like that he always moves his feet but I find that his strides have no power whatsoever so I believe there's a lot of wasted energy there. He pretty much often uses his upper body strength moreso than his skating to beat dmen on offensive rushes.

I don't ever expect him to ever have great edges because he's pretty much a North-South bull type of forward but he should definitely improve his first steps and top speed. Him going the NCAA route should help in that regard.

I also like him more than Nadeau.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I think he would fit very nicely. It's just that with Michkov potentially on the board, you'd be flagrantly violating BPA. You're hoping that Dvorsky becomes good enough that you don't really care if Michkov shows up and puts up 100 pt seasons for someone else.

Everyone talks about the risks of drafting Michkov, but if you take anyone else at 5 you're already behind. How is that not a risk?
This. Teams 2 to 4 are well aware he could come in and put up 100pts one day, but are comfortable with that knowing their own player projects as their best player moving forward and among the elite.

I 'd be curious to know where do people who would consider other players put the bar? If the answer isn't atleast a top line player or n.1D, they'd be fools.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They're not drafting Michkov. They're scared bitches.

Man we are actually cursed in the top end of a draft.

Miss out on Dahlin and Svech.
Get top 3 in the worst top 5 since the 90s (2012)
Get the 1st overall in a down year.
And now they're 5 of a top 5 and won't take one of them cause they're scared of the Russian boogeyman.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

And now they're 5 of a top 5 and won't take one of them cause they're scared of the Russian boogeyman.
Why would they not draft him?

Hughes has been very clear. If he is BPA, he takes him.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

If he's still there at 5 they won't be the first team to be too scared to take the superior player... but yes we have had such crappy luck...

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why would they not draft him?

Hughes has been very clear. If he is BPA, he takes him.

Arpon said they haven't decided they won't but that they have big concerns.

If he's still there at 5 they won't be the first team to be too scared to take the superior player... but yes we have had such crappy luck...

Well you can make easy arguments on risk/reward for the top 4.

Reactions: WinterLion

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Arpon said they haven't decided they won't but that they have big concerns.
Yes, which is why he is an option at 5.

Another concern they should have is if they will be able to draft another prospect of his stature in the remaining of their career.

Michkov is the absolute homerun pick and they know this as much as me and you.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Easy with hindsight. It could easily have been a position below us that won and then we could have claimed we should have won some more.

Chicago had more or less 3% more chances than us to win, it was negligible.

But I think a lot of you folks are being disingenuous about the whole thing, because I trust that you all are smarter than the things you are saying.
% to get the first lottery
Chicago 11,5%
Montreal 8,5%

11,5/8,5 = 1,35...
Chicago had 35% more chances to select first than us.
It seems small, but its a difference.

But yeah, you are right if the «us» meen every other teems Int he lottery (wich is probably wjat you meant).

Reactions: HabsMD97

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I do not believe that to be the truth. I think that your conclusion was not reached without compromising your intellectual honesty. At a glance it certainly has a feel of an overzealous retort to a perceived slight/narrative that you have subjectively gleaned from the public conversation and are projecting this on to Hughes and Gorton.

There is zero evidence to support any discussion about them not wanting to draft Michkov so why venture further into a discussion based on nothing and why bother making such provocative declarations until there is reason to do so?

You are a smart dude, just let this play out a little more before sounding any alarms.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
If they pass on Michkov at 5, then I sure as hell hope it means we traded back. No way do I hand him on a silver platter to another team without them having to outbid the other teams interested in drafting him sitting in the 6-10 range.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
If they pass on Michkov at 5, then I sure as hell hope it means we traded back. No way do I hand him on a silver platter to another team without them having to outbid the other teams interested in drafting him sitting in the 6-10 range.

Every team is dealing with the same risk factors... what makes you think a team will want to take on the risk AND pay assets to move up?

Smith had his IIHF tourney and launched up the rankings. It’s very possible that Reinbacher does the same starting tomorrow at the worlds, and then we may be looking at a different top 5 then the one most people are accepting as gospel now.

#patience
#itsgoingtobeallgood
#KotanemiwasBergevinsfaultnotHugO

Benson may make the memorial cup no? That could help him a bunch too.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Every team is dealing with the same risk factors... what makes you think a team will want to take on the risk AND pay assets to move up?

Benson may make the memorial cup no? That could help him a bunch too.
I don't think Detroit, Arizona or Washington would pass on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad