HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I don't buy Basu's opinion about the habs not wanting two small one dimensional forwards in their top 6. They wouldn't have used a 1st round pick on Mesar if that was the case.
They selected Mesar late 1st, you go with the highest value picks at that point, size doesnt really matters. Hutson already boosted his stock in 1 year, a couple of those assets will eventually be moved in trades in due time to build a contender. At the top of the draft though, on similar talent level, size matters in the equation.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm all about getting size to this team and the prospect pool, but there's no one at 5 that's logically left that is better than Michkov today.

5 years from now, maybe Barlow, or Wood, Benson, Leonard, or whomever is better than Michkov, or they all are. It's possible Leonard is complete trash 5 years from now.

If Michkov gives the indication he wants to go to the Capitals. Capitals stay put and get Michkov, I'd believe it and would be fine with the Habs drafting Leonard, Smith, or whomever.

If the Habs pass and the Coyotes, or Flyers take Michkov, I'm pissed. Even if they take Leonard, I'm pissed.

I really like what I've seen in a few games and the hype machine that's going with him, but the Habs need Michkov. It sucks to wait 3 years to see him, while everyone else is 1, maybe 2, but it's worth it. Possibly Leonard destroying people would make it easier, or whomever else the Habs draft tearing up whatever league they're in would help ease the pain

Also, get more 2nds

And most importantly, whomever the Habs pick.... DONT FIND THEIR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND SEND IDIOTIC MESSAGES, OR TO THEIR FAMILY YOU f***ING CLOWNS.

We all know someone is reading this thread and will do something like that.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
They selected Mesar late 1st, you go with the highest value picks at that point, size doesnt really matters. Hutson already boosted his stock in 1 year, a couple of those assets will eventually be moved in trades in due time to build a contender. At the top of the draft though, on similar talent level, size matters in the equation.
Nobody is similar in talent to Michkov though at 5 (assuming all Cs are gone at that point). That's why this argument doesn't hold.

You can't say that anyone of Dvorsky, Reinbacher or Leonard are as talented as Michkov.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They selected Mesar late 1st, you go with the highest value picks at that point, size doesnt really matters. Hutson already boosted his stock in 1 year, a couple of those assets will eventually be moved in trades in due time to build a contender. At the top of the draft though, on similar talent level, you size matters in the equation.

Mesar wasn't the highest value pick at that point. Kulich and Lambert were still available. They also drafted Beck a few spots later, and I remember someone in the habs management saying in their post-draft presser that good centers in the draft were running out and they wanted one, so they went for Beck at 32.

Sure if two players have similar talent, you pick the bigger player. That's not the case with Michkov and Leonard/Dvorsky/Reinbarcher though. You also don't do that just in the top of the draft. If two players are equal in talent anywhere in the draft then the tiebreaker are factors like size or need.

Last edited:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think that's the key here though. In my view the only player with similar talent level to Michkov is going 1st overall.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
Mesar wasn't the highest value pick at that point. Kulich and Lambert were still available. They also drafted Beck a few spots later, and I remember someone in the habs management saying in their post-draft presser that good centers in the draft were running out and they wanted one, so they went for Beck at 32.

Sure if two players have similar talent, you pick the bigger player. That's not the case with Michkov and Leonard/Dvorsky/Reinbarcher though.
I feel this also happened when Bobrov was in NY. They would constantly try to "outsmart" the BPA and would always reach for someone who they think might be better.

At some point, you just have to go BPA and stop thinking you're smarter than everyone else. People might've not liked Timmins, but I'm wondering if Bobrov/Lapointe are worst.

What could save us is that our development team is WAYYYY better than what we had with Bergevin so we just need to hope that we can maximize the ceiling of a lot of players we end up drafting.

I do think this draft will be very telling of how exactly the Habs think. I'm hoping they prove me wrong, but at this point, expecting to be disappointed.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I feel this also happened when Bobrov was in NY. They would constantly try to "outsmart" the BPA and would always reach for someone who they think might be better.

At some point, you just have to go BPA and stop thinking you're smarter than everyone else. People might've not liked Timmins, but I'm wondering if Bobrov/Lapointe are worst.

What could save us is that our development team is WAYYYY better than what we had with Bergevin so we just need to hope that we can maximize the ceiling of a lot of players we end up drafting.

I do think this draft will be very telling of how exactly the Habs think. I'm hoping they prove me wrong, but at this point, expecting to be disappointed.
Yep, hated our drafting in the 2010s but our development was league-worst

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

Is it really Bobrov/Lapointe?

It seems more like when scouting teams No Drafted David Fischer, but here it would be a novel kind of No Draft, not emanating from the scouts themselves but a top down No Draft approach similar to the Charles Wang school of drafting. While the results were mitigated with the Islanders, maybe this is the time and place where it works.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Mock draft:
Chi-Bedard
Ana-Fantilli
Columbus-Carlsson
SJ-Smith
Habs-Leonard
Ari-Reinbacher
Philly-Michkov
Was-Dvorsky

No way Briere is going to let Washington pick Michkov one spot after them. Leonard is a great pick for Montreal.

There is 0 chance the habs picks a defence with the #5 pick
They could pick Reinbacher if Barron or Mailloux is part of a package for Dubois.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Except we haven't reached on anyone. Every one of our picks last year was in range of their consensus rankings +/- 5 spots.

Our last real reach was probably Kotkaniemi.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Nobody is similar in talent to Michkov though at 5 (assuming all Cs are gone at that point). That's why this argument doesn't hold.

You can't say that anyone of Dvorsky, Reinbacher or Leonard are as talented as Michkov.
They are passing on Michkov mainly because the risk factor is too high and because there are question marks about his 3 zones play. If a player is offensively minded only and has notable flaws in his game, some scouts will lean toward more complete players even if the upside isnt as high. The goal is to win hockey games, the show comes 2nd.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
They are passing on Michkov mainly because the risk factor is too high and because there are question marks about his 3 zones play. If a player is offensively minded only and has notable flaws in his game, some scouts will lean toward more complete players even if the upside isnt as high. The goal is to win hockey games, the show comes 2nd.
Again you're implying that NHL playoff hockey isn't a skills competition or a hockey pool?:huh:

Reactions: Goldenhands

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
They (Hab scouts) come here to see who not to pick :laugh:

Yeah, but sometimes Hab fans may be right!? (a lot of us had Kulich for our late 1st rnd pick at last NHL Draft in Montreal). But, I'm still ecstatic Lane Hutson was finally chosen by our Habs (really thought he would go late 1st rnd or early 2nd rnd).

Still...I wish Kulich was chosen by Hab scouts in late 1st rnd (in an early re-draft Kulich might go top 10-15). Anyways...Slaf and Mesar may have major chemistry playing on the same line one day. Really hope so.

Reactions: Saxon

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

honestly, if you're correct, like you were about slaf, I will have to pay closer attention to what you say regarding the draft. especially if they go reinbacher.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Who made those hockey judgments, a majority of Habs scouts? Kind of like:

5- Leonard: good shooter, good skater
6- Dvorsky: good hockey IQ, strong puck possession
7- Reinbacher: good skater, responsible
8- Michkov: scores many goals, question marks about his 3 zones play, offensively minded only, notable flaws in his game.

Somehow I have a lot of trouble believing it.
A couple of you guys have been sold a bill of goods and are providing cover for an untenable position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad