HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
If he was all that you claim he is, he wouldn’t be ranked 7th by scouts. He’s a good player, but not an excellent one. I don’t see him being better than Suzuki or Dach, at least not enough to warrant a 5th overall pick. Whereas I see Leonard slotting as the motor of a top line or Reinbacher potentially as a top pairing defender. This is especially true for the Canadiens that need a Leonard type to play with Nick and Cole and need a RD that’s better than Mailloux and Barron.

No I don’t think so, he would be ranked around 7th in a draft like this considering who’s in front of him. He’d also be talked about as part of the second tier, which evidently he is by many scouts. He also might have several years before the draft where he was considered a top prospect, which he was. Dvorsky can play with Suzuki and Caufield just as easily as Leonard can and would bring a lot to that line too.

He’s been overscouted and lacks the media hype of the US players and Michkov. Huge amount of room to grow. I want to hate him because McGag loves him, but I just can’t justify it.

Reinbacher is interesting. Best defenceman in the draft and really intriguing profile. With development, I can see both Dvorsky and Leonard playing on a top line. With Reinbacher… just harder to project.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The scouts scout, the GM and owner take the big decisions. Of course, Hughes and Molson will have the scouting reports on Michkov, but even if he was a perfect hockey player and had a great attitude and all, the geopolitical situation is that ugly that they might have had to pass in those conditions.

Now you add how the kid's dad passed away , his apparent charactere issue, hockey related flaws, his 3 yrs contract with SKA, the possibility he extends and you have there a huge hot potatoe Habs brass will be pretty relieved to let another team handle.

A smart executive doesn't see a hot potatoe, he sees opportunity. A smart executive makes sure his hand doesn't show, especially weeks before the market, so whatever convinced you would have to be part of that reality.

The reality the Habs might pass on Michkov can come to pass, but the reality where anyone gotta glimpse into the Habs plans for the draft, that reality IMO doesn't exist.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Dvorsky is fine, but I don't really see him as a good fit for us. I understand that in general C > W on the positional value chart but Dvorsky doesn't really track to me like he's gonna be some Danault tier super elite defensive C, so I don't really care about it too much as the offensive upside isn't crazy high either. Suzuki and Dach are 24 & 22 and both are perfectly fine as two-way Cs, and I don't think Dvorsky is more offensively skilled than they are. The Habs don't really need to target just any C at the draft table, they need players who are a meaningful tier above Suzuki and Dach in talent and/or overall game, so you'd plausibly be looking at Carlsson or Smith if they dropped somehow to actually upgrade at that position rather than getting Dvorsky who's ceiling is probably just another flavour of a 22-23 Suzuki/Dach tier player.

If we're worried about positional value the obvious play is Reinbacher who's in the same talent tier as Leonard and Dvorsky but plays a position where we actually have a roster hole. For instance, if we just assume Owen Beck busts, and that we don't draft/develop any additional two-way Cs for the next couple years, that's not really a problem. Suzuki and Dach are perfectly fine, Evans is fine at 4C, and it's not hard to get a two-way 3C if needed. Reinbacher gives us a meaningful capability (RD that can play on a matchup pair) that we don't have in the pool or on the roster right now.

Leonard as a top 6 player with grit and girth also has positional bonus points.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If Michkov is on the no draft, I'd take Leonard over Dvorsky and Reinbacher over both. #2/3 big 2way 30+ point RD > 50-60 point gritty 2way forward > 50+ point two-way high motor C/W.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Bob's list had Draisaitl at 4, so it's obviously never.

No list is perfect, so trying to draw it as proof that a player is better, or worse is just being idiotic, but that's in massive supply around here.

Furthermore, most, if not all for Leonard assume Michkov is a ND for the Habs.

But, once again people out here trying to twist something to suit their narrative.

Reactions: Redux91

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
All consensus seems to agree that there is a clear top 5. It's just the Habs who wish to complicate it.
It seems they don’t want to let their amateur scouts evaluate hockey weaknesses, character and path to the NHL. Basically, the exact definition of their job. :boredom:

Reactions: Gravity

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
He was even better against better opposition?

vince-vince-mcmahon.gif
The anti-Slaf

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
That comment about Michkovs size... Wasn't that one of the salient points of drafting Slaf? That if it allows you to bypass the size concerns later on the pick is already a win ?

And which offensive dynamos weren't one dimensional at that age ? Jack Hughes wasn't exactly known for his play without the puck. Or his size. I'm not taking Boldy over him, as much as I like him. I'm taking Boldy if Hughes keeps hinting he'll do his 4 years to go to NY.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
There was no overlap at all from 5 to 6. Not a single scout who believed any of the top 5 should drop to 6.
A clear line in the sand.
Yep. I think this puts to rest the whispers about concerns around michov’s compete and/or ice play. Honest to god NHL scouts who have a lot more info than us believe he’s solidly in the top 5 based on talent.

If he drops it’ll be because of dumb Russian reasons. That’s what this bob mckenzie ranking has made clear. It’s also made clear no scouts consider Leonard comparable to the top 5.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Leonard is at the highest anyone could or should conceivably be able to put him at.
I could see several GMs preferring him to teammate Will Smith. Not a rebuilding team that select this high, but let’s say a team with a solid core that acquired the 4th pick.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I've thought it is between Leonard and Reinbacher for a while now...and even tho I prefer Leonard, I think they will take Reinbacher. Bookmarking for posterity.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I could see several GMs preferring him to teammate Will Smith. Not a rebuilding team that select this high, but let’s say a team with a solid core that acquired the 4th pick.

I suppose you could argue that. He's certainly more rounded than Smith. But Smith's got the much higher offensive skill and ceiling and position that most GM's I'd think would prefer.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Since I don't follow soccer what do you mean? That players just want to be in winning teams and try to jump ship if it start to tank?

Yeah, you see more and more players just tipping their teams in advance that they're not coming back so that their teams get compensated somehow.

Same goes for how there's more emphasis on teaching tactics, wether collectively or individual. The way Adam Nicholas and St.Louis talk about hockey, is the same way you see any modern soccer coach talk about soccer.

Back when I started watching hockey, a guy who produced on the perimeter was called a softy by most if not all, but nowadays you see more and more understanding that not every player needs to play the same way and that roles are complementary.

The game is being taught more, to everyone.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Not sure how many of you watched the actual show in addition to the rankings but the way Bob was talking about Michkov and the teams who could take him, he really seemed like Montreal wasn't in the discussion.

Bob on draft night usually has the information to know who teams like, I know he called the McCarron pick before we made it.. so it's just more tea leaves but it really doesn't seem like Michkov is a consideration at this point.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Nothing he said gave any suggestion at all to this. Perhaps you're hearing what you want to hear? Because I've listened to it more than once see no inclination to that. Other than noone knows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad