HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Oh he has next to no floor at all, he's a total homerun swing type. With our much improved development staff I think our odds are much better with a prospect like that than before though.
He reminds me a bit of Ben Maxwell who had a high ceiling but we found out where his floor was.

I don't mind picks like these late in the 1st.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He’s unlike any prospect in the Habs system or NHL team. Our top-6 is sorely lacking in strong two-way play. Not a boring player to watch either, very tenacious, very skilled, exceptional shot, and high end IQ. He’s shown that he can be the centrepiece of a line. Also plays a puck protection game that will complement our other top players very well.

He’s not a perfect prospect, but he’s also one of the youngest in the draft. I’d be more than happy to take him at 5 if Michkov/Carlsson/Smith isn’t an option.

Love him. IMHO he is more likely to be a C than Smith & Carlsson.

I'm just excited to see who they choose and what kind of maneuvering goes on.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He’s unlike any prospect in the Habs system or NHL team. Our top-6 is sorely lacking in strong two-way play. Not a boring player to watch either, very tenacious, very skilled, exceptional shot, and high end IQ. He’s shown that he can be the centrepiece of a line. Also plays a puck protection game that will complement our other top players very well.

He’s not a perfect prospect, but he’s also one of the youngest in the draft. I’d be more than happy to take him at 5 if Michkov/Carlsson/Smith isn’t an option.
If he was all that you claim he is, he wouldn’t be ranked 7th by scouts. He’s a good player, but not an excellent one. I don’t see him being better than Suzuki or Dach, at least not enough to warrant a 5th overall pick. Whereas I see Leonard slotting as the motor of a top line or Reinbacher potentially as a top pairing defender. This is especially true for the Canadiens that need a Leonard type to play with Nick and Cole and need a RD that’s better than Mailloux and Barron.

Reactions: Habsrule

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If he was all that you claim he is, he wouldn’t be ranked 7th by scouts. He’s a good player, but not an excellent one. I don’t see him being better than Suzuki or Dach, at least not enough to warrant a 5th overall pick. Whereas I see Leonard slotting as the motor of a top line or Reinbacher potentially as a top pairing defender. This is especially true for the Canadiens that need a Leonard type to play with Nick and Cole and need a RD that’s better than Mailloux and Barron.
Leonard was 6th by a hair over Dvorsky in a top heavy draft. They're both great prospects. Dvorsky was unreal at the WU18 and he's one of the younger players who will go in the 1st round. He also did an excellent job at the WJC in a checking role vs Cooley and Wright.

I'd be fine with either player. I like the speed Leonard brings along with his jam, puck skills and IQ. The Habs young core isn't full of speed burners and Leonard would be a nice addition.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Bold prediction for the draft, we get Bjarnasson with the Florida pick and I could see the Habs trading up to ensure him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm thinking he does slide to 7.. just based on everything I've heard and seen.

Bedard goes 1
Fantilli goes 2
Carlsson goes 3
Smith goes 4
Leonard goes 5
Reinbacher goes 6
Dvorsky goes 7
Michkov goes 8

Then I think it gets interesting but I think Benson goes 9.

Nobody really knows anything but I agree that these are likely to be the first 8 prospects off the board even if I would put them in a different order.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Well, there was a clear distinction in Bob's article that with the uncertainty and risk around Michkov, that there were 3 names that teams would look at rather than Michkov.. that being Leonard, Dvorsky and Reinbacher.

So a clear message that after 7, Michkov becomes the clear BPA and the reward outweighs the risk.
The clear line after 5 is strictly the rankings - the opinion of the scouts. That’s what we were discussing there.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

We don't know where scouts have him ranked and yes if a tiny consensus has him at 7 then that makes it all the more likely that some in the exponentially larger pool will him him as high as 5 and maybe even 4.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

NCAA Div 1 - 19-16-16-32

5-3-6-9 Big 10
1-1-1-2 HE
1-0-3-3 NCHC

2-1-1+2 ECAC
4-5-2-7 CCHA
4-4-1-5 Atlantic
2-2-2-4 Independent
He was even better against better opposition?

vince-vince-mcmahon.gif

Reactions: Redux91

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Leonard was 6th by a hair over Dvorsky in a top heavy draft. They're both great prospects. Dvorsky was unreal at the WU18 and he's one of the younger players who will go in the 1st round. He also did an excellent job at the WJC in a checking role vs Cooley and Wright.

I'd be fine with either player. I like the speed Leonard brings along with his jam, puck skills and IQ. The Habs young core isn't full of speed burners and Leonard would be a nice addition.
Yeah but the way people talk about Dvorsky is that he’s some sort of infallible centre. If that was the case, he’d be consensus over Will Smith and there’d be no debate between him and Leonard. Clearly he has warts that his fans can’t seem to admit but that scouts see.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Yeah but the way people talk about Dvorsky is that he’s some sort of infallible centre. If that was the case, he’d be consensus over Will Smith and there’d be no debate between him and Leonard. Clearly he has warts that his fans can’t seem to admit but that scouts see.
Dvorsky's main wart is his footspeed which is why he's out of the top 5.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Were Habs scouts prohibited from considering him? Not a good look. :laugh:
The scouts scout, the GM and owner take the big decisions. Of course, Hughes and Molson will have the scouting reports on Michkov, but even if he was a perfect hockey player and had a great attitude and all, the geopolitical situation is that ugly that they might have had to pass in those conditions.

Now you add how the kid's dad passed away , his apparent charactere issue, hockey related flaws, his 3 yrs contract with SKA, the possibility he extends and you have there a huge hot potatoe Habs brass will be pretty relieved to let another team handle.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
The scouts scout, the GM and owner take the big decisions. Of course, Hughes and Molson will have the scouting reports on Michkov, but even if he was a perfect hockey player and had a great attitude and all, the geopolitical situation is that ugly that they might have had to pass in those conditions.

Now you add how the kid's dad passed away , his apparent charactere issue, hockey related flaws, his 3 yrs contract with SKA, the possibility he extends and you have there a huge hot potatoe Habs brass will be pretty relieved to let another team handle.
In other words, you’re telling me HuGo are paying clients of Milbury Lowe Advanced Analytics Inc. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad