HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He's built like a truck though. He was measured at 6 foot and 192 pounds at the combine. He may top out at 6 foot 1 and 205-210 pounds. When combined with his speed and aggressiveness, he will be a constant menace on the ice.
Not saying he’s small, but part of his appeal is that he plays a big boy game and he’s a bit more of an average sized player. 5’11” and 3/4 is better than I thought he’d be though. 190 is good too, but he looks pretty filled out. If he can get up to 6’1” 205lbs that would bode well, especially if he can maintain his speed. One big positive is that he’s clearly one of those “natural athletes” who I always like to gamble on.

That actually scares me from drafting him. Physically mature, dominating teens in the NTDP and yet finished far off from his linemates. Not sure at all if he looks as good against men.
They do play some NCAA games against college aged players and he wasn’t shy in those matches so that bodes well. Do think he needs to get bigger though to play that type of game.

But he at least possesses the skating and skill set to play a more finesse type game if he indeed doesn’t grow.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Samuel Honzek talks a little bit about Montreal Canadiens in a new e-book (Interviews with Slovak and Czech prospects before draft)

I felt like I was in a sauna. Strange looks and even stranger questions, that's what characterized the club that nowadays closely monitors many Slovaks. One would think it was just a pre-draft interview. That knowing English and sweating the most during the tested disciplines would be enough. But debating with representatives of the Montreal Canadiens during the Draft Combine is a real challenge. I'm by nature someone who wants to responsibly prepare for every challenge. I've been taught that since I was young. Moreover, it's known that the Canadiens ask questions out of the blue. But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the feeling of uncertainty that remains in every player who talks to them before the draft caused some to think, "Wow, maybe I really don't want to go there..."

They probably do it on purpose, and it's an interesting tactic to identify the most resilient pieces. They can truly test your mental strength and leave no stone unturned.

Yes, I also got that popular question. I've been trying to decipher what kind of animal I am before this interview for a long time. I expected it to come, it's common for them. I googled all possible variations so as not to say something foolish. In the end, I chose two.

On the ice, I'm an eagle. A hunter. I fiercely chase my goals. I'm fast and have good vision. It characterizes my personality and accurately describes my strong hockey attributes.

In life, I'm an owl. I enjoy observing my surroundings and people. I notice what's happening around me. I believe that true wisdom lies in that.

Life has taught me this sense of responsibility. Growing up as a hockey player is not the easiest thing...

I like his animal answers.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I definitely think only Arizona & Washington would draft Michkov if San Jose & Montreal don't. I fully expect Philadelphia to pass on him. Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber are still advisors in that organization, and I don't see Briere taking any risks with his 1st overall in his 1st draft.

They have no depth at center. None. Hayes is so slow they were forced to move him to wing. Giroux is gone. Couturier injured always. The only prospect they have is Gauthier.

It is a real need. I expect Dvorsky, Moore or Danielson for Philadelphia.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuGort

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
From a pure trait perspective I actually have Leonard right there worth Dvorsky. The traits are above average across the board which always helps. The main things which have me prefer Dvorsky is that Dvorsky has shown me he can be “the man” on not only his line, but on his team. Leonard has never really been that. Dvorsky is also a proven centerman obviously which certainly adds to his value. But if you remove role and position from the equation, Leonard is worth a top 5 pick based on traits alone.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That actually scares me from drafting him. Physically mature, dominating teens in the NTDP and yet finished far off from his linemates. Not sure at all if he looks as good against men.

He's also not playing in the NHL next year. He's going to Boston College, although truthfully, I wish he was going to a different school. All 3 of Smith, Leonard & Perreault are going there. I know they're all friends, but I would prefer Leonard to step away and do his own thing.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Which is true of almost everyone in this draft class with the exception of some Europeans like Carlsson & Sale. It's junior players versus junior players.

Well div 1 is young men, not teens. MHL is similar. So no not everyone of them. Michkov played men. Fantilli played young men. Smith, Leonard et al played 15-25 games against young men and the rest against teens. The CHL ones played exclusively against teens.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Leonard put up 97 points in 57 games. He was ppg.
Leonard's also one of the stronger skaters of the usual top 10 candidates in this draft. The Habs could certainly use some speed up front.

Suzuki and Caufield are average skaters. Some of our forward prospects are below average (Roy, Kidney etc). Dach and Slaf are probably the two best skating forwards of our young core (I'm not including Anderson) and Mesar might be the best skating forward in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad