HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
A really good video on Ryan Leonard by Mitch Brown, who compiles his own tracking data through watching the freaking games of prospects. He's a really under-rated analyst.

To all those who don't like the "skill-less" Leonard:

They're doing a live stream now too and there was a question about Benson vs Leonard and they both said that Benson is more skilled then Leonard in most ways, but Mitch said he thinks Leonard would be a perfect fit for Montreal. He thinks he'll thrive in the east/west style that St.Louis is implementing and that he could be the guy to win pucks off the board for our skill guys(Caufield/Suzuki).

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What abilities? He doesnt flash dynamic playmaking. He doesnt flash shooting skills beyond peewee level, he doesnt have a mind to activate and move up the zone, his first pass is okay but nothing special.

He doesnt have an insane wrister, where have you seen him rip a puck? He cant.

Hes 48th on my list. Hes a project all-right. But if you think hes gonna develop an offensive game out of thin air you are mistaken. You pick him because of his elite defensive game and size and you hope he either adds grit or offense to his game, he's literally the same pick as Tinordi. I cant believe people are pushing for him so high.

You cant watch Reinbacher and Simashev and believe these two guys are similar, it is complete insanity.
Thank god NOWHERE did I say that those 2 guys were similar. I haven't finished my top 30. But I have Reinbacher top 10. While I'm aiming to have Simachev in the 20-30 spot. It's not like this year is filled with top end talent either.

Yet, you are talking about people comparing Reinbacher and him as being insanity yet compare him to slow-footed, no vision, no edgework, no puck control, no hands Tinordi? Also, you talk as if I'm the only one that has him in the 1st round...

As far as his wristers, I've seen him during games. But more easily for you, it's in this vid especially the one around 2.42.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
They're doing a live stream now too and there was a question about Benson vs Leonard and they both said that Benson is more skilled then Leonard in most ways, but Mitch said he thinks Leonard would be a perfect fit for Montreal. He thinks he'll thrive in the east/west style that St.Louis is implementing and that he could be the guy to win pucks off the board for our skill guys(Caufield/Suzuki).

In a weird way, Benson's strengths are Leonard's areas of improvement and vice versa. Benson is the better playmaker, and passer, but Leonard has a far better shot and is a much better skater. Two areas that Benson needs work on.

Both are outstanding defensive players who compete hard for every inch of ice.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
In a weird way, Benson's strengths are Leonard's areas of improvement and vice versa. Benson is the better playmaker, and passer, but Leonard has a far better shot and is a much better skater. Two areas that Benson needs work on.

Both are outstanding defensive players who compete hard for every inch of ice.
In a weird way both are very safe top 6 winger but for some reasons a lot of people here feel Leonard has no upside while Benson is the next superstar I am so confused.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
In a weird way both are very safe top 6 winger but for some reasons a lot of people here feel Leonard has no upside while Benson is the next superstar I am so confused.

Yeah, makes no sense. I'm really positive that if we don't draft Leonard, Arizona will, and he and Cooley will have some fun times together in the desert, or Salt Lake City, or wherever. He's going to be great for someone.

Imo, Leonard & Benson are the 2 sure top 6 players in top 10 outside of the FabFour. I have some doubts over Dvorsky, Danielson & Moore that they won't just settle into being middle 6 tweeners.

I like Perreault, but not at #5. He was perfect when we had #14 for that short while. Thanks Pens, you chokers! That was my dream at one point: Leonard & Perreault. Oh well .....

Reactions: Redux91 and jaffy27

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I will believe it when it will happen. I’m not listing to any of those rumours

But If it’s true offer

5th + Josh Anderson vs 2nd OA
This ain't even getting us the 4th pick, let alone 2

Think more in the lines of 5, 31, Owen Beck and next year top 8 protected 1st rounder

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Think more in the lines of 5, 31, Owen Beck and next year top 8 protected 1st rounder
No thanks….no guarantee that 4th overall player will outproduce pick #5

I’d give but never that much.

San Jose can go ahead and select Smith and I’ll take my chances with Michkov or Leonard and keep Beck and 31st and next years pick….hell, I’ll send the last 3 pieces to Winnipeg for PLD.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

I’ve said 5, 31, and Guhle for 2nd pick (Adam Fantilli). I’d think long and hard about it. Love Guhle, but Fantilli is a stud who will step in Day 1 and compete for the Calder. With Matheson, Jackeye, Harris and soon to be Hutson, we’re in pretty good shape at LD.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I’ve said 5, 31, and Guhle for 2nd pick (Adam Fantilli). I’d think long and hard about it. Love Guhle, but Fantilli is a stud who will step in Day 1 and compete for the Calder. With Matheson, Jackeye, Harris and soon to be Hutson, we’re in pretty good shape at LD.
Guhle gonna be a stud D for us for the next 12yrs….no thanks…..if it’s Mailloux or Barron….now you have my attention

I’d still be hesitant though but on the surface that looks mighty delicious

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Guhle gonna be a stud D for us for the next 12yrs….no thanks…..if it’s Mailloux or Barron….now you have my attention

I’d still be hesitant though but on the surface that looks mighty delicious
Think it would have to be Guhle to get it done. Remember the other team has to accept it lol

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Na I'd rather have a top pairing D, a potential first liner and a potential 2nd pair D/2nd liner than Fantilli

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Really focusing in on nailing down the top of this draft. To me the top 3 players in this draft are Bedard at 1 (duh) and then Fantilli and Michkov as the obvious next two. After that, there’s a tier down that consists of 5 names. 3 centres in Carlsson, Dvorsky, Smith, followed by two wingers in Leonard and Benson. After those 8 you’ve got a hot mess of 10 guys including the top Dmen but don’t think we should be considering any of those names.

Assuming Michkov is off the board for Russian factor reasons and Carlsson is gone as well (as the clear top guy in that 2nd tier), my guy remains Dvorsky. But if we land PLD, and I think we will, I’ll be plenty content with either Leonard or Benson. Smith I think is Hughes target and I’d be happy with him as well, but he seems likely to be gone too.

So basically my top 8 is:

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Michkov

4. Carlsson
5. Dvorsky
6. Smith
7. Leonard
8. Benson

Final!

Reactions: WinterLion

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Complete exageration. No team is getting that for a 3 ranks swap. Habs had to pony-up an unproven and green Markov and Theodore to get the 1st for Kovalchuk, which they didn't do. That's pretty much 5th + Beck.

Reactions: ReHabs

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
It's interesting that a D has gone top 5 in every year since 2004. Will this year be the year to break the streak?

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I will believe it when it will happen. I’m not listing to any of those rumours

But If it’s true offer

5th + Josh Anderson vs 2nd OA
Basu said he would do Slaf + the 5th for the 2nd (Fantilli)
You won't move up for spare parts, you would need to really entice them (imagine us moving back several spots and only getting a future 3rd liner for our troubles)

Last edited:
Reactions: Doublechin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad