HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thank god NOWHERE did I say that those 2 guys were similar. I haven't finished my top 30. But I have Reinbacher top 10. While I'm aiming to have Simachev in the 20-30 spot. It's not like this year is filled with top end talent either.

Yet, you are talking about people comparing Reinbacher and him as being insanity yet compare him to slow-footed, no vision, no edgework, no puck control, no hands Tinordi? Also, you talk as if I'm the only one that has him in the 1st round...

As far as his wristers, I've seen him during games. But more easily for you, it's in this vid especially the one around 2.42.

The post you quoted before i quoted you was talking about Simashev over Reinbacher.

Thats not a special shot. Not beating anyone in the NHL with this. Tinordi was actually seen as a veru good skater pre-draft. The only difference is that Simashev is very confident with the puck and he has good hand feet coordination. Its the brain, passing, shooting, etc that suffers.

Im assuming he may become a guy that moves the puck up ice very well but never produces over 20 points.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Basu said he would do Slaf + the 5th for the 2nd (Fantilli)
You won't move up for spare parts, you would need to really entice them (imagine us moving back several spots and only getting a future 3rd liner for our troubles)
Fantilli for Michkov is trading 5 nickels for a quarter. To close that deal we’d be gift wrapping last year’s 1OA, just because. Enticing Anaheim = Mission Accomplished.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
You won't move up for spare parts, you would need to really entice them (imagine us moving back several spots and only getting a future 3rd liner for our troubles)
Bodes well that the biggest fanboy in Montreal media would sell last year's 1OA to move up three spots in the draft. Basu spent three years hyping and fluffing Kotkaniemi too, so it's especially cool that he's supposedly easy with giving away Slafkovsky. Damn.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Samuel Honzek talks a little bit about Montreal Canadiens in a new e-book (Interviews with Slovak and Czech prospects before draft)

I felt like I was in a sauna. Strange looks and even stranger questions, that's what characterized the club that nowadays closely monitors many Slovaks. One would think it was just a pre-draft interview. That knowing English and sweating the most during the tested disciplines would be enough. But debating with representatives of the Montreal Canadiens during the Draft Combine is a real challenge. I'm by nature someone who wants to responsibly prepare for every challenge. I've been taught that since I was young. Moreover, it's known that the Canadiens ask questions out of the blue. But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the feeling of uncertainty that remains in every player who talks to them before the draft caused some to think, "Wow, maybe I really don't want to go there..."

They probably do it on purpose, and it's an interesting tactic to identify the most resilient pieces. They can truly test your mental strength and leave no stone unturned.

Yes, I also got that popular question. I've been trying to decipher what kind of animal I am before this interview for a long time. I expected it to come, it's common for them. I googled all possible variations so as not to say something foolish. In the end, I chose two.

On the ice, I'm an eagle. A hunter. I fiercely chase my goals. I'm fast and have good vision. It characterizes my personality and accurately describes my strong hockey attributes.

In life, I'm an owl. I enjoy observing my surroundings and people. I notice what's happening around me. I believe that true wisdom lies in that.

Life has taught me this sense of responsibility. Growing up as a hockey player is not the easiest thing...

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Screenshot_20230622_062350_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20230622_062154_Brave.jpg

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Seriously. This is insanity. I know certain people are low on Slaf but I’ve seen our 5th ovr + Slaf + 31 to move up 3 slots. Like wtf was the entirety of last season for?

It's out of hand. People's expectations are out of whack.

That would be so stupid.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Samuel Honzek talks a little bit about Montreal Canadiens in a new e-book (Interviews with Slovak and Czech prospects before draft)

I felt like I was in a sauna. Strange looks and even stranger questions, that's what characterized the club that nowadays closely monitors many Slovaks. One would think it was just a pre-draft interview. That knowing English and sweating the most during the tested disciplines would be enough. But debating with representatives of the Montreal Canadiens during the Draft Combine is a real challenge. I'm by nature someone who wants to responsibly prepare for every challenge. I've been taught that since I was young. Moreover, it's known that the Canadiens ask questions out of the blue. But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the feeling of uncertainty that remains in every player who talks to them before the draft caused some to think, "Wow, maybe I really don't want to go there..."

They probably do it on purpose, and it's an interesting tactic to identify the most resilient pieces. They can truly test your mental strength and leave no stone unturned.

Yes, I also got that popular question. I've been trying to decipher what kind of animal I am before this interview for a long time. I expected it to come, it's common for them. I googled all possible variations so as not to say something foolish. In the end, I chose two.

On the ice, I'm an eagle. A hunter. I fiercely chase my goals. I'm fast and have good vision. It characterizes my personality and accurately describes my strong hockey attributes.

In life, I'm an owl. I enjoy observing my surroundings and people. I notice what's happening around me. I believe that true wisdom lies in that.

Life has taught me this sense of responsibility. Growing up as a hockey player is not the easiest thing...

The reality is that playing for Montreal is a lot of pressure.... because of us and the rest of the crazy impatient fans. I can see why the Habs want to figure out who can take it before drafting them.

Reactions: ngc_5128

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If it’s really about the hockey player and it’s because he’s a one dimensional player, then why they are so high on Will Smith that have the same concern ?

He's not small, skating is better and he's better in the neutral zone. Smith might also be bad defensively but he's shown a willingness to try where Michkov doesn't.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
This ain't even getting us the 4th pick, let alone 2

Think more in the lines of 5, 31, Owen Beck and next year top 8 protected 1st rounder

lol no, this is 3 positions in the draft and Fantilli isn't even on a different tier.

Anderson might just have to be traded first in a 1st round pick, but that's enough value to move to 2. ie. 5 and 22. Your value is to get another top 5.

Look at the value for the Sedins moves.

McCabe and 1st for 4th overall.
4 to 1 for 2x3rd round picks.

Now I think someone got fleeced, and you won't see 3rd rounders being sufficient in 2023, so a top 25 pick is likely the cost, ok maybe with a b-grade prospect like Kidney or Heineman.

There might be a possibility that Kent is trying to get another top 7-8 pick on top of moving up (using player assets), to get 2 high-grade forwards this year. Fantilli and Dvorsky? There is something to manage here: he's already signing his first line to 8 years deals. Thus the clock is ticking on those deals, he'll want to make at least 5 of those years cup-pursuit years. There is no time to wait for a patient pick.

The reason to move up to get Fantilli is that he's more NHL-ready than anyone not called Bedard. Thus he would be in the lineup this year. This speed things up significantly. Fantilli will play wing for a while. Then he needs to draft a really good 2-way guy to solidify the lineup. I doubt we have the assets for Fantilli and Carlsson. Thus he'll have to be a bit patient there, but that player needs to bring playoff hockey acumen/size around the age of 20-21 to the team -that's Dvorsky. Drafting that guy this year speeds things up as well, vs waiting next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He's not small, skating is better and he's better in the neutral zone. Smith might also be bad defensively but he's shown a willingness to try where Michkov doesn't.

Complete BS. Go watch @montreal's links. I've seen Michkov pick players off in the defensive zone and he backchecks.

Also you should realize Michkov's offensive IQ is much more translatable considering the difference in oppositions they've had. Just like Reinbacher is more translatable than Smith for the very same reason.

Oh and Michkov didn't get the benefit of playing on a super line. This alone should make you take pause over the trio, Smith and Leonard included.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
If it’s really about the hockey player and it’s because he’s a one dimensional player, then why they are so high on Will Smith that have the same concern ?
Habs being super high on Smith mostly comes with "because Hughes coached the guy a few years ago".

Based on Hughes's combine media scrum comments, they are higher on Reinbacher whom he called the best dmen in the draft and Leonard whom he compared to the Tkachuks than Smith.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
That's a valid point. I'm going to take a stab at it; it comes down to coachability and...... character. They seemed to love his interview (Hughes couldn't wait to f***in' text his folks about it, literally) and he knows he's coachable, i.e., can apply some teachings in his game.

My guess is that they have no idea if those traits exist in Michkov, considering he can't be interviewed nor scouted in a regular fashion.

Reactions: Vachon23

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Montreal really should have passed on that guy in 2019 because his skating wasn't elite and his game was very one-dimensional. Let's get more two-way guys like Kotkaniemi and Poehling.

Reactions: ReHabs

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I’ve basically accepted that Ryan Leonard will be the pick at this point and Im happy with it.

Passing on Michkov for another winger will be a tough pill to swallow though. But do think Leonard could be a great player for us. Wish he was a touch bigger, but at least he has great skating to compensate.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The post you quoted before i quoted you was talking about Simashev over Reinbacher.

Thats not a special shot. Not beating anyone in the NHL with this. Tinordi was actually seen as a veru good skater pre-draft. The only difference is that Simashev is very confident with the puck and he has good hand feet coordination. Its the brain, passing, shooting, etc that suffers.

Im assuming he may become a guy that moves the puck up ice very well but never produces over 20 points.
My initial post was a post in itself..not responding to any other. Just saying that if Simashev starts clicking offensively, I,m more excited by his potential....but still find Reinbacher more solid and then added that for quite a long tiem now, I did have Reinbacher in my top 10.

I mean, yeah, maybe being excited by a prospects doesn't mean a whole lot. I was excited by a lot of players that didn't pan out while the safer projects did.

And yes, at one point, to REALLY start projecting Simashev into an offensive d-man...he'll had to rack points....somehow....especially if he stays in the MHL. No reasons with the package he has to not start scoring....

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I’ve basically accepted that Ryan Leonard will be the pick at this point and Im happy with it.

Passing on Michkov for another winger will be a tough pill to swallow though. But do think Leonard could be a great player for us. Wish he was a touch bigger, but at least he has great skating to compensate.

He's built like a truck though. He was measured at 6 foot and 192 pounds at the combine. He may top out at 6 foot 1 and 205-210 pounds. When combined with his speed and aggressiveness, he will be a constant menace on the ice.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He's built like a truck though. He was measured at 6 foot and 192 pounds at the combine. He may top out at 6 foot 1 and 205-210 pounds. When combined with his speed and aggressiveness, he will be a constant menace on the ice.

That actually scares me from drafting him. Physically mature, dominating teens in the NTDP and yet finished far off from his linemates. Not sure at all if he looks as good against men.

Reactions: ReHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad