HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Moving Severson is for Luke Hughes.
No that was Mukhamadullin (LD) at the deadline. Maybe Ryan Graves (LD) as well as he's set to be a UFA July 1.

Severson (RD) is for Nemec as they had no room with Hamilton and Marino locked in with term.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

mbz

Jun 10, 2008
Moncton, NB
Think I might officially be one of the BENSON BOYS.

Kid oozes hockey IQ and really believe he would be the perfect player for MSL. I'm not even that worried about his size or lack of top-line speed because his game would translate really well into the NHL anyways.

His iq is off the charts and he never gives up on a play. Plays bigger than he is.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Yours too, genius.

There's quite a list of NCAA players who've held off and reverted their rights/got intentionally traded.

There's no Russian of importance other than Radulov who has gona back there in his prime and still, he did come over here twice.
When was the last time there was this kind of a problem in Russia? There are absolutely no guarantees when it comes to him coming to North America to play. But il leave it at that. I wouldn't take that chance. I also think michkov is a tad overrated.

I have a bias against American players playing in the States.

I rather we draft a real motherf***er like Benson destroying the WHL. The next Joe Sakic?
That's funny because the USNDP is the best "junior" level team. Especially in development

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm starting to believe that Benson will be better than all of Smith, Fantilli and Carlsson. The third best player from that class after CB and MM.

Reactions: mbz

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Could easily trade up and snag him in the teens. Many thinks he could fall outside the top 10. Then you have VAN at 11th who might be interested in trading down for extra assets. I think there's a fit.

If the draft goes something like that :

1.CHI-Bedard
2.ANA-Fantilli
3.CLB-Carlsson
4.SJ-Smith
5.MTL-Leonard
6.ARZ-Reinbacher
7.PHI-Michkov
8.WAS-Simashev (best dmen in the draft after Reinbacher and really close)
9.DET-Dvorsky
10.STL-Willander (late riser who will either go to DET or STL imo)
OR you could switch some of those guys for Moore and Danielson.

Then we'd just need to acquire another first in the teen and move up to the 11th spot. I think Anderson is the best piece we have to do such a move. Something like 14th OA (PIT) for Anderson, then taking on Myers' contract to move up 3 spots.

Now we have both Leonard and Benson. Two absolute studs.
There is ZERO chance Benson falls outside of the Top-10.

He's way too f***ing good at every aspect of the game.

And Simashev isn't better than Willander.

I'm starting to believe that Benson will be better than all of Smith, Fantilli and Carlsson. The third best player from that class after CB and MM.
Better than Smith for sure. Fantilli is a maybe. Carlsson, I have Benson slightly behind but it's not unheard of. And Benson will be better than Michkov in an overall gameplay sense even though Michkov's offensive game is incredible.

If we get Benson and he's feeding Caufield on the PP for the next 8 years. Holy f***. I don't care who's running our PP, you won't stop that.

Reactions: mbz

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Don't understand how someone can watch Will Smith and Zach Benson and think Smith is better and/or that his game is more translatable.

I too hallucinated back in my day doing LSD.
I also don't understand but I'd love to hear somebody with decent points on why , honnestly very curious because i'm no amateur scout but smith hasent impressed me that much especially playing on that stacked line

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Think I might officially be one of the BENSON BOYS.

Kid oozes hockey IQ and really believe he would be the perfect player for MSL. I'm not even that worried about his size or lack of top-line speed because his game would translate really well into the NHL anyways.

Welcome aboard!

Been on this train since last year.

I also don't understand but I'd love to hear somebody with decent points on why , honnestly very curious because i'm no amateur scout but smith hasent impressed me that much especially playing on that stacked line
Smith is incredible offensively, stacked team or not. But he doesn't bring the overall game than Benson does. Smith is still going to be a very good player, but he strikes me more as the Regular Season player who won't win you games in the playoffs.

Of course I've been very wrong before on prospects, but I've also rated some players highly that even NHL scouts passed on. I just feel something about Benson that I don't feel about Smith.

Reactions: AHShadow

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Welcome aboard!

Been on this train since last year.

Smith is incredible offensively, stacked team or not. But he doesn't bring the overall game than Benson does. Smith is still going to be a very good player, but he strikes me more as the Regular Season player who won't win you games in the playoffs.

Of course I've been very wrong before on prospects, but I've also rated some players highly that even NHL scouts passed on. I just feel something about Benson that I don't feel about Smith.
So many exciting prospects this year...you just know somebody is gonna get a ppg guy at like 7 or 8 haha

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think Fantilli is a slam dunk top 3 player in this draft- likely #2 due to Michkovs passport.

For myself, that’s when we see a tier drop with the Carlsson, Dvorsky, Smith, Leonard, Benson grouping.

After those 5 we start to get into the dmen and guys like Wood, Sale, Yager, Barlow, Perreault, Stenberg, Moore etc

Coulda got one of those guys with the Florida pick sigh…

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Dvorsky is the one I believe ends up the guy where we regret passing on him. And don’t worry I’ll be here to make everyone remember lol
Hm? What do you mean? Majority of people like Dvorsky as far as I've seen. I've definitely seen people who would prefer him at spot 10 than 5. Is that "hating" in your view? Like I just compared him to two 55-70 point, 30+ goal defensive centers. That's a pretty complimentary projection. What the heck are you expecting him to be?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Benson > Fantilli

Higher IQ and has all the rest except size (who cares?!)

Choosing size worked out great for us in the 80s when we chose Wickenheiser over Savard.
Everything the same except size? Have you ever watched either player skate? I really like Benson but he isn't in the same stratosphere as Fantilli.

Reactions: Vachon23

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Everything the same except size? Have you ever watched either player skate? I really like Benson but he isn't in the same stratosphere as Fantilli.

I think Benson is an excellent skater in terms of lateral mobility. He doesn't have the straight speed of Fantilli but he has great edgework, which is arguably more valuable in the offensive zone.

I think he sells his moves far better than Fantilli too.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Benson is like Perreault’s skill set with Leonard’s heart.

For a moment I thought you were referring to Gilbert Perreault :lol:

I like Benson but even I wouldn't put him in Gilbert Perreault's category in terms of skills. Perreault was like a Top 10 most naturally skilled player ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad