HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm not on the Leonard bandwagon at 5 (hell I don't even have him top 10), but Leonard plays with better pace, has a better release in stride and plays a harder game. Not sure if Dvorsky is stronger either, Leonard is built.

Much easier to project his impact on an NHL team.
Well I disagree on all points lol

There’s video of Dvorsky on the bike at the combine. Dude is a tank. He’s also younger as one of the youngest players in the draft so could get even bigger. Leonard is more likely to be maxed out while being smaller.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dvorsky brings everything Leonard does, but is bigger, stronger, proven at center, and has a better shot. I don’t quite get anyone putting Leonard over him. Imagine Dvorsky playing with Smith and Perrault and the numbers he’d have put up. He put up similar numbers as Leonard at the U18s playing with absolutely no one.
Neither are my picks at 5 but you do raise a good point, Leonard doesnt have an overwhelming lead on Dvorsky that he should be considered at 5 but not the latter.

The problem is Michkov, Reinbacher and Benson have overwhelming leads on both.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Well I disagree on all points lol

There’s video of Dvorsky on the bike at the combine. Dude is a tank. He’s also younger as one of the youngest players in the draft so could get even bigger. Leonard is more likely to be maxed out while being smaller.

He is in really good shape, that's for sure. You just know Timmins is looking at those pythons and salivating .

Reactions: Gainesvillain

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's sarcasm. I wanted a 17, but it's ok. Habs have a strong future anyway!

I know dude! I love your attitude! I'm honestly envious. I agree that they are finally heading in the right direction.... but man did they have some bad luck the last couple of years... we are due for some good luck!

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Dvorsky brings everything Leonard does, but is bigger, stronger, proven at center, and has a better shot. I don’t quite get anyone putting Leonard over him. Imagine Dvorsky playing with Smith and Perrault and the numbers he’d have put up. He put up similar numbers as Leonard at the U18s playing with absolutely no one.
It's not about what he may have done playing with Smith and Perrault against kids. It's about projecting what he WILL be doing in 5 years against NHL level competition. We already know Dvorsky is dominant against his own age group because he's extremely physically developed for his age and his game is very mature. Some of that applies for Leonard as well but I suppose people that have him higher believe more strongly in his tools. I think Dvorsky will end up as something like a Brock Nelson or David Backes which is still a very valuable player but we I believe we need to aim higher.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

I love Dvorsky, but Leonard does many things better than Dvorsky. I do agree with you that Dvorsky may be able to grow into the better player and I would be very excited if he was our pick. In fact I feel like of the top guys he is the most likely to play C which is a big deal. Just wish he was a bit quicker.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Hey guys, let's not draft small guys. This should be our first criteria, and we should not look at anything else at first. They never do anything good in the playoffs. They certainly never win the Conn Smythe.

Or so I've read here in the last week or so. :sarcasm:

Yeah I'm guilty... I usually like drafting small guys because they are such good value, but when I look at our prospect pool it is very small already...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I love Dvorsky, but Leonard does many things better than Dvorsky. I do agree with you that Dvorsky may be able to grow into the better player and I would be very excited if he was our pick. In fact I feel like of the top guys he is the most likely to play C which is a big deal. Just wish he was a bit quicker.
I do wish he had a bit more speed, but do think he has room to grow as his stride needs some work.

And in regards to his skating in general, he actually has great agility for a kid his size- and he’s an absolute monster in puck possession so I’m less concerned with his lack of separation speed since he’s able to just body guys and keep the puck.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Yeah I'm guilty... I usually like drafting small guys because they are such good value, but when I look at our prospect pool it is very small already...
Yeah you're not the one I was targeting with this commen haha.

I get taking size into account but when someone completely disregard drafting a player solely because of size and nothing else, keeps repeating that one line over and over, that doesn't make for great debates. :laugh:

Reactions: WinterLion

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It's not about what he may have done playing with Smith and Perrault against kids. It's about projecting what he WILL be doing in 5 years against NHL level competition. We already know Dvorsky is dominant against his own age group because he's extremely physically developed for his age and his game is very mature. Some of that applies for Leonard as well but I suppose people that have him higher believe more strongly in his tools. I think Dvorsky will end up as something like a Brock Nelson or David Backes which is still a very valuable player but we I believe we need to aim higher.
Dvorsky is the one I believe ends up the guy where we regret passing on him. And don’t worry I’ll be here to make everyone remember lol

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think in terms of playstyle, Dvorsky reminds me most of Hayton (who has really started to turn it on).

I've got him at 9 on my board right now, in a sort of 2 man group just ahead of Reinbacher. Hard to choose between them for me.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Small space sure but Dvoraky is a much more lethal shooter.
And that’s the thing with Dvorsky, he possesses a few elite traits: shooting, puck possession, and two way IQ. And that’s while being average/good across the board in regards to everything else. Leonard is similar but just a touch behind in those 3 catagories. Good shooter, but not elite. Good puck possession but doesn’t quite have the size. Good two way IQ but not enough where he’s an obvious centerman.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Small space sure but Dvoraky is a much more lethal shooter.
For sure, 2018 was a weaker year for forwards and Hayton would probably be closer to 15 this year as a prospect.

He seems to be developing pretty well now though. And while Dvorsky is a better shooter, Hayton can certainly wire one as well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And that’s the thing with Dvorsky, he possesses a few elite traits: shooting, puck possession, and two way IQ. And that’s while being average/good across the board in regards to everything else. Leonard is similar but just a touch behind in those 3 catagories. Good shooter, but not elite. Good puck possession but doesn’t quite have the size. Good two way IQ but not enough where he’s an obvious centerman.
Id say Leonards edge in skating is something that needs to be mentionned. Its not just a small thing. Also there is no doubt hes a better playmaker and forechecker.

Puck possession is a toss up.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Id say Leonards edge in skating is something that needs to be mentionned. Its not just a small thing. Also there is no doubt hes a better playmaker and forechecker.

Puck possession is a toss up.
Leonard certainly gets the edge skating wise. That is where he’s got Dvorsky beat though I’m not concerned with Dvorskys skating due to his agility and strength. Puck possession goes to Dvorsky though. Playmaking I’d say is even considering who they’ve played with. Leonard been on the wing so obviously he’s going to have more forechecking opportunities but that is more than offset by Dvorskys ability as a center and in the face off dot.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I'm firmly positive that the team drafting Dvorsky will develop themselves a fine 4th line centerman for years to come.

HRI7zad.png

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
People are equating good two-way/grit with low skill level when it comes to Leonard and that's flat out false. He has a high skill level and is just an all around better player than Smith/Perrault when you take into account every other aspect outside of pure offense.

My concern with Smith is he ends up like a Drouin because he simply will not engage in any battles, or pay the price to get to the net consistently. And Drouin was a better skater than Smith is as well. Obviously Drouin had some mental issues, and I'm not saying that Smith will end up as Drouin either, but the way he plays does give me some reason to be concerned about how it will translate to the pros.
Agreed with thr first part about Leonard.
The second part about Smith is as incorrect as the stereotype about Lenoard.

Reactions: SlafySZN and ReHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad