HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Ben, Son

Habs fans arent cut out for this rebuilding shit. We need a deflating playoff loss that turns us all off hockey until September
We're all lucky we've made it this far. Honestly tho the rebuilding stuff is all hyperbole. Habs don't really need any more top picks going forward maybe besides 1 top pairing D/1 top line player (whichever they don't pick this year). Think about it, after this draft (and PLD), they either have a complete future top 6, all either top 5 picks or guys who should've been around top 5 picks or they have a complete future D core. They have enough prospects in their system to make up most of a bottom 6. Throw in a few vets at a trade deadline to fill some bottom six gaps. Also, I have had the suspicion that Habs will throw obscene amounts of money at a goalie like Sorokin, etc in 2024.

Basically my point is besides another top player after this year, Habs really only have a waiting game on their hands called development. I know it pains a lot of posters here but MB did half of the job in the retool from 2018-2020 before HuGo got to montreal

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I mean statistically he’s about half as smart as his compatriot and linemate Smith.
I mean, after doing the research by the numbers they wear, he's 4.5x the player Smith is.

x94pxX2.png

• Haha
Reactions: JAVO16 and Redux91

Slafkofield

May 1, 2022
If we where sure that Michkov would be here in 2026 and they where no outside of hockey situation that we can’t control around him, then I would be all in for Michkov even if he would probably not be available at 5

But that’s not the case, they are so much uncertainty that we don’t know and don’t have control on that I can understand the Habs passing on him since they are other really good players available. Simple as that
The same argument can be made for NCAA players, what if (although it won’t happen) the player decides to play 4 years of College and walks as a FA. Not taking Michkov at 5 because they’re worried he won’t come is so dumb imo and I hope HuGo won’t make that mistake.

Slafkofield

May 1, 2022
I get that Perreault doesn't have amazing tools, but that guy doesn't have a toolbox, it's a whole Home Depot.

I don't think I've seen him not in the right place at the right time in the offensive zone.

I don't know why he's getting ranked as if he's the Dvorak to Leonard and Smith's Tkachuk and Marner.
Pretty unfortunate the Panthers’ ended up making the playoffs. He’s one of the guys I would have liked in that range.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I mean statistically he’s about half as smart as his compatriot and linemate Smith.
When you're the guy that goes to the net all the time and is supposed to create space for his linemates on a line it's just normal his pass count is not as high as his linemates. The kid can clearly pass the puck, he was just not getting the same number of touches as his companions.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Ryan Leonard has always had more Goals than Assists which despite sounding like a good thing is a red flag. NHL defenders are the best in the sport, NHL goaltenders are the best in the sport, if his playmaking ability is that much worse than his peers he will find it tough to put points up in the NHL no matter how much he hustles.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Ryan Leonard has always had more Goals than Assists which despite sounding like a good thing is a red flag. NHL defenders are the best in the sport, NHL goaltenders are the best in the sport, if his playmaking ability is that much worse than his peers he will find it tough to put points up in the NHL no matter how much he hustles.

So goalscorers are a bad thing now?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Total nonsense.

At a high level, you can't have 12 forwards in a team just passing the puck.
At a line level, you need a good variety of ingredients, or teams can shut down lines that are all playing the same.
At a draft level, who knows how he develops his game, we've only seen him play with playmakers. Who knows how he completes a prime scorer like Caufield?

Last edited:

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Total nonsense.

At a high level, you can't have 12 forwards in a team just passing the puck.
At a line level, you need a good variety of ingredients, or teams can shut down lines that are all playing the same.
At a draft level, who knows how he develops his game, we've only seen him play with playmakers. Who knows how he completes a prime scorer like Caufield?
Mind you, those in the know tell you he's a good to very good playmaker, he's just lucky enough to have 2 great playmakers on his line too

In most scenarios that won't be the case.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Mind you, those in the know tell you he's a good to very good playmaker, he's just lucky enough to have 2 great playmakers on his line too

In most scenarios that won't be the case.

In the dynamic of Suzuki / Caufield, we all know who is going to be the scorer. The guy that can hit a mosquito-sized target with velocity more than 70% of the time. So Leonard would be the digger and he would get a lot of secondary assists suddenly (and garbage/rebound goals)

Reactions: jrom and Redux91

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I've seen a lot of people praising Leonard, but don't you find his stats quite ordinary, just 20 pts in 17 games ? Perreault has 45 pts in 23 games and Smith has almost double ppg than Leonard. They all play in the same team. I understand that stats aren't everything, but it still has a certain meaning.

Does anyone here have a chance to watch Leonard playing ? What would be your opinion ?

Reactions: ReHabs

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I've seen a lot of people praising Leonard, but don't you find his stats quite ordinary, just 20 pts in 17 games ? Perreault has 45 pts in 23 games and Smith has almost double ppg than Leonard. They all play in the same team. I understand that stats aren't everything, but it still has a certain meaning.

Does anyone here have a chance to watch Leonard playing ? What would be your opinion ?
He's that major point where you understand the game or you don't!

I think everything was said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad