HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'd be real happy with Musty at 31/32. Especially if we go Leonard.
Yeah. Again, I'm not saying just draft for size, but the Habs need some good prospect with size in their pool upfront.
f***ing hell man, I really wanted Wood. I feel like in 3 years people are going to say "so how did a high IQ, skilled, 6'4 guy who was PPG and lead his H-East team in his draft year fall that much".
Agreed.

I'm really hoping the Habs can make something magical happen, like get that 11th overall from Vancouver and even trade up from there to get him.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
f***ing hell man, I really wanted Wood

Don't fret, there's a solution:

th-jpeg-88.jpg

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I'm watching Reinbacher and Leonard highlights to try to come to terms with the team not picking Michkov.

It's not working. YouTube keeps auto-playing Michkov highlights after as well :laugh:.

Being serious though, it's not a knock on those players or even Smith to say it shouldn't be close.

Michkov is just on another level and my read on the risks is that they do not represent a reason to avoid picking him.

I'll save the inspiring quotes about taking risks in life for a little closer to the draft :D

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
With all hockey events over, here is my final 37 with player comps.

While the comps initially focused more on style (ie. Taylor Hall for Fantilli), I transitioned to a more role-centric criteria based off position/most likely outcome/build/strengths as I went along, as I had a harder time justifying a comp of Jake Guentzel for Nick Lardis for example when I have him ranked outside the first round. It just seemed less useful.

Within tiers, I typically valued low-risk/high-likelihood over swinging for the fences and had C>D>W.
A 1W is what I would want a top winger on a team to be, likely paired with a 1C. A 2W is what I would want the second best winger on a team to be, either flanking the 2C or the third member of one of the best 1st lines in the league.

Typically, I would consider the top 3 Cs, top 2 Ws, top 3 Ds and 1G as the core of the team. Complementary top 6 W and 4D also hold some value, but no one whose most likely outcome is something beneath that would ever be in my first round (or in this case 37).
I do not value two-way Ds in the top 10 (in general, although there are some weak draft years where it's fine) as some others may. Draft picks are scarce resources and in order to build a cup winning team, you will need to find some core players outside the first round. I feel much more confident in finding a quality two-way D (and goaltenders) in rounds 2-4 than I do any other core forward, so the forwards are much more prized early on.
There were no goaltenders in this draft that I evaluated as having a true 1G resume. Plenty of nice swings to take in rounds 2-3, especially if we can obtain additional picks (ie. not pick 37).

As I mentioned last year as well, my preferred choice would not be to draft at our current position.
Last year my decision would have been to trade down to 4-5 and pick whichever of the two D's were available. Assuming we were compensated with the 35th pick from Seattle to move down, my selections would have been Reinbacher and Chesley as I believed much more confidently in the D crop last year than the forwards.

This year, I cannot stress enough the importance of moving up to 2 or 3. I would easily give up our 1st next year unprotected to move up two spots. Florida's pick, Calgary's pick, Mesar, Farrell, Anderson, possibly Matheson should all be in play as well. There are more than enough high-quality assets available to get it done, even at an exorbitant price, as this team's ceiling will forever be limited without the addition of a star caliber forward, and this is likely our last chance to obtain one. Failure to accomplish this would shine a clear light on the lack of vision from our management IMO and would greatly reduce my confidence in them.

Without further ado:

Generational
1 Connor Bedard (C) - Kane/Matthews

Franchise
2 Leo Carlsson (C/RW) - Draisaitl
3 Matvei Michkov (RW) - Kaprizov

1C
4 Adam Fantilli (C) - Hall/MacKinnon

Low End 1C / 1W / 1D
5 Zach Benson (LW) - Marchand
6 Ryan Leonard (RW) - Forsberg/Brown
7 Will Smith (C/RW) - Spezza

2C / 2W / 2D
8 Brayden Yager (C) - Carter/RNH
9 Oliver Moore (C) - Larkin
10 Dalibor Dvorsky (C) - Horvat
11 David Reinbacher (RD) - Pulock
12 Colby Barlow (LW) - Meier
13 Matthew Wood (RW) - Vanek

Middle 6 C / Top 6 W / 3D / 1G
14 Nate Danielson (C) - Danault
15 Calum Ritchie (C/RW) - Schenn
16 Anton Wahlberg (C/LW/RW) - Eriksson Ek
17 David Edstrom (C) - Jenner
18 Dmitri Simashev (LD) - Pelech
19 Tom Willander (RD) - Niskanen
20 Samuel Honzek (LW) - Hayes
21 Daniil But (LW/RW) - Franzen
22 Otto Stenberg (LW) - Perron
23 Gavin Brindley (C/RW) - Konecny
24 Riley Heidt (C) - Domi
25 Eduard Sale (RW) - Bailey
26 Jayden Perron (RW) - Jarvis
27 Gabe Perreault (LW) - Teravainen

3C / 4D / High-Risk
28 Gracyn Sawchyn (C) - Gourde
29 Oscar Fisker Mølgaard (C) - Cirelli
30 Danny Nelson (C/LW) - Berglund
31 Axel Sandin Pellikka (RD) - Boqvist
32 Tanner Molendyk (LD) - Jokiharju
33 Maxim Strbak (RD) - Hamonic
34 Quentin Musty (LW) - Batherson
35 Andrew Cristall (LW) - Granlund
36 Nick Lardis (RW) - Olofsson
37 Lukas Dragicevic (RD) - Shattenkirk
ASP is supposed to be ranked 5th according to Button - comparison is GOAT

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
The 2023 NHL Draft is just a few weeks away, and so it's time for the final MHN Mock Draft of the season! It's going to be a wild one:

I see the top 6 going like this.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
The 2023 NHL Draft is just a few weeks away, and so it's time for the final MHN Mock Draft of the season! It's going to be a wild one:

Based off of what I've seen and heard I'm all for risking it for Michkov but if we ended up with Leonard and Cristall that would be a solid haul in the first round. Grab the tendy they feel most confident about at 37 and ill manage :laugh:

Reactions: ginomini

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Based off of what I've seen and heard I'm all for risking it for Michkov but if we ended up with Leonard and Cristall that would be a solid haul in the first round. Grab the tendy they feel most confident about at 37 and ill manage :laugh:

Michkov has a higher ceiling. We need to swing for the fences.

Reactions: Slafkofield

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
At 5 either Michkov/Wood and at 31 Morin/Bonk
Morin will be available at #37 , but we got enough LHD.
and Wood at #5 ? no thx.

Like someone said Vancouver pick #11 should get you Wood, wonder what could be the cost, knowing Van have one of the worse prospect pool they could be looking at quantity for quality.
#31 + #37 + Farrell + Kidney ??

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Michkov has a higher ceiling. We need to swing for the fences.
we have to think about chemestry as well,
I see american players wanted to come and play in MTL. (Smith, Leonard,Brzustewicz)
We have no russian to mentor Mitchov, i see CLB taking him even though they need a center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad