HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Argument can be said that M.Tkachuk is more valuable then Panarin/Kaprisov though

Wouldn’t complain for sure
In thus scenario Leonard is Meier, not Tkachuk. Tkachuk would be Fantilli or Carlsson.

The point is were going for Meier when all these guys are on the board.

If you want to say Leonard has top 5 player in the NHL ceiling Id say get your head checked, lol. Even if he did, thats assuming everything, absolutely everything exceeds expectations for Leonard and Ill reply, why isnt that applied to Michkov?

When we are being called upon to make a selection at this years draft, the only player we may “pass” on is Michkov for the obvious reasons.

Now, if I’m the Habs, Michkov is my guy at 5, but don’t be surprised if it’s Leonard or Reinbacher (honorable mention to Benson) as they are probably the most skilled players after the top 5.

Leonard and Reinbacher is not a reach nor will it be a disappointment unless we pass on Carlsson if he falls and to a lesser extent Smith.
Theyre both reach because theyre not the BPA. The BPA is Michkov.

I dont know when we stopped believing in BPA around here but its a bit crazy. Is it just suspended because its a player from Russia?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
In thus scenario Leonard is Meier, not Tkachuk. Tkachuk would be Fantilli or Carlsson.

If you want to say Leonard has top 5 player in the NHL ceiling Id say get your head checked, lol. Even if he did, thats assuming everything, absolutely everything exceeds expectations for Leonard and Ill reply, why isnt that applied to Michkov?

I dont know when we stopped believing in BPA around here but its a bit crazy. Is it just suspended because its a player from Russia?
If we where sure that Michkov would be here in 2026 and they where no outside of hockey situation that we can’t control around him, then I would be all in for Michkov even if he would probably not be available at 5

But that’s not the case, they are so much uncertainty that we don’t know and don’t have control on that I can understand the Habs passing on him since they are other really good players available. Simple as that

Reactions: Doublechin

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If we where sure that Michkov would be here in 2026 and they where no outside of hockey situation that we can’t control around him, then I would be all in for Michkov even if he would probably not be available at 5

But that’s not the case, they are so much uncertainty that we don’t know and don’t have control on that I can understand the Habs passing on him since they are other really good players available. Simple as that
Fearmongering.

Theres 49 russian players that played in the NHL this year. Im assuming as much in the AHL. Michkov stated that he wants to play here. Putin has other things to do than care about Michkov.

Simple as that, hes gonna be here in 2026.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Protect themselves because they think it's true.

It's rampant in this thread. People even admit to it. "Rumor is we're taking Reinbacher or Leonard, I'll accept it now, so i don't get pissed off when thry don't pick Michkov".

Even yourself, you even warned me not to meltdown when thry don't pick him. It's stress management 101. Expect the most negative outcome so that you don't get disappointed.
So then, what exactly is so wrong about prepping for the very real outcome that Michkov isn't selected..?
Like why are you making fun of that lol
When if they actually don't pick him and everyone does melt down (including you?)
The people telling everybody else "it's gonna be ok, we'll live" are assholes all of a sudden? Lol, well okay then

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Fearmongering.

Theres 49 russian players that played in the NHL this year. Im assuming as much in the AHL. Michkov stated that he wants to play here. Putin has other things to do than care about Michkov.

Simple as that, hes gonna be here in 2026.
No it’s not simple as that…

If it was simple as that, other teams in the top 10 wouldn’t pass on him too

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
No it’s not simple as that…

If it was simple as that, other teams in the top 10 wouldn’t pass on him too
Where is the top 10 passing on him coming from? What semi-reliable source is there? I checked the Combine thread and couldn't find it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So then, what exactly is so wrong about prepping for the very real outcome that Michkov isn't selected..?
When if they actually don't pick him and everyone does melt down (including you?)
The people telling everybody else "it's gonna be ok, we'll live" are assholes all of a sudden? Lol, well okay then
Its a very weird contortion you offer here. Of course we'll live.

Were talking about sports fans though, should we just turn our cheek anytime they make a shit decision? How long should we accept the unacceptable and support a team that does not actually try to win? This team has put down a contender like... five years out of the 18ish Ive been a fan. Is this acceptable? Should we just be happy and "live"? I mean, hockey has no real bearing on my life, Im happy wether the Habs win or not, but as a Habs fan, I want them to win, not merely be okay with anything they do because well, "we'll live".

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Its a very weird contortion you offer here. Of course we'll live.

Were talking about sports fans though, should we just turn our cheek anytime they make a shit decision? How long should we accept the unacceptable and support a team that does not actually try to win? This team has put down a contender like... five years out of the 18ish Ive been a fan. Is this acceptable? Should we just be happy and "live"? I mean, hockey has no real bearing on my life, Im happy wether the Habs win or not, but as a Habs fan, I want them to win, not merely be okay with anything they do because well, "we'll live".
Should also note that for most of those 5 instances of being a contender, we took no risks when it came to the future to add to our team and try to put it over the top.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
If Michkov is really a top 2 talent (possibly 1 in other years), then he should be the pick.

When else will they get the chance to add elite talent? Second liners can be added in trades and free agency.

Michkov will be starting his ELC at around the same time he’s entering his prime … just when the Habs are entering their contending years. He’ll look great next to Dach.

They just have to be able to do their due diligence to make sure the hockey side of things check out. Scouting, interviews, etc. after all that, if he’s in the same tier as other players outside top 4, then they can go with safer bet.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013

If Tkachuk was Fantilli on his DY he woulda gone way earlier

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
With Wright, the writing was on the wall, his draft year was as flat as they come, then came the interviews and you could tell the mental toughness that is required to play the role might not be sufficient here. People kept finding excuses and when playoffs started, we were promised that he will now show up...he didn't.

With Michkov, those gms are not questioning his offensive ability, none questioned Yakupov's ability back then even thought the concerns were similar, although Yakupov was bigger and more physical.

With Michkov, there's elite offense but underwhelming everything else including skating and size ohhhhhhhh and a massive foreign policy situation. Remove the foreign policy issue and he's easily gone top 3. With it, who knows. As fans, it seems like an easy desicion, for a GM, most likely getting multiple people involved in this desicion including the owner, it ain't.

So, just checking, you're including everything he does at an elite level: Puck handling, passing, hockey sense, shooting, offensive creativity, and all-world production that are vastly superior to all prospects past the top 5 fall under the category of "elite offense." What exactly is the super important "everything else?" His skating is fine. The idea of it being underwhelming is being overblown. Other than that, he's about as underwhelming as Kucherov or Kane.

And yes, I know the owner is a loser that doesn't care about winning as long as he can sell a few beers and condos. You don't have to keep reminding me.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
14 is « early » from a projections stand point no? I like him a lot so I wouldn’t bat an eyelash as a mid/late first round selection but I don’t feel like he has a lot of traction.
Depends who's projections you are looking at. Dan Marr, the director of the NHL central scouting, ranks Morin as the top dmen of the draft before Reinbacher. He could be a surprise that goes early if some team scouts see it that way too.

Reactions: Gustave

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
If Tkachuk was Fantilli on his DY he woulda gone way earlier
Tkachuk got weirdly underrated for his draft year considering what he did.

It's a problem with playing with elite talent (Matthews with the USNTDP, Marner with London) - it was assumed that he was a product of those elite talents, rather than being an elite complementary piece to them.

I don't know that I ever saw him becoming the focal point of an elite line like he has, but I was so upset when Edmonton passed on him since he would have been a dream to see play with McDavid.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013

It's a problem with playing with elite talent (Matthews with the USNTDP, Marner with London) - it was assumed that he was a product of those elite talents, rather than being an elite complementary piece to them.

I don't know that I ever saw him becoming the focal point of an elite line like he has, but I was so upset when Edmonton passed on him since he would have been a dream to see play with McDavid.
I agree, playing with so called elite talent does that to you, luckily this year more and more scouts seem to think that perhaps a guy like Leonard is the best player on his line.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

Leonard's upside is being underrated for the same reasons as well as for being forced to shoulder all defensive responsibilities with Perreault and Smith.

He's every bit the talent Filip Forsberg was.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Leonard's upside is being underrated for the same reasons and being forced to shoulder all defensive responsibilities with Perreault and Smith..

He's every bit the talent Filip Forsberg was.
Yeah I like Leonard a lot and have him and Smith at 6 and 5 respectively but could easily see arguments either way.

I'd still take the Russian over both though.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Yeah I like Leonard a lot and have him and Smith at 6 and 5 respectively but could easily see arguments either way.

I'd still take the Russian over both though.
It's all risk management and the risk isn't the skill at hockey. I'm hoping teams have hired actual experts at figuring out the risk at trying to get Michkov this year.

If I'm told he's in the NHL 90% sure in 2026 I get him, anything below that I start dropping him in my rankings.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
It's all risk management and the risk isn't the skill at hockey. I'm hoping teams have hired actual experts at figuring out the risk at trying to get Michkov this year.

If I'm told he's in the NHL 90% sure in 2026 I get him, anything below that I start dropping him in my rankings.
I'd be curious to see a poll of how many fans would be upset if we took him and he didn't end up coming over - I know myself and many others in this thread wouldn't be, but maybe we're the vocal minority.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Where did I make fun of that? I keep saying it's proof of how traumatized the fanbase is.

"Holy shit, the trauma is real. Lol"

I've already said I won't meltdown and I've also stated that if this is what will happen, I'll be mostly pissed at Hughes for tipping his hand, not for not drafting Michkov, so you can hold off on the presuppositions.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think people here would have been mad about a Sanderson pick at the time, wrongly.

I would be surprised if teams dont have Reinbacher very high. He's impressive. He's smart on both ends, he's already worked on many pro details in his game (his escapes, for example, but those details are numerous), he can rush the puck, he has good vision offensively and he's got a hard shot that gets through. Add that he can already pin pro players effectively while having a lot of room to bulk up... I think he's not going to wait long come draft day.
I'm just saying...no matter what I think about Reinbacher, tell me that at 5, youd,be satisfied with a good No4. Makes no sense. So if they go ahead with him, I want them to say that they expect that with their development team, he's going to be a top 2 d-man, with some time on the PP and PK. That,s what you should be expecting a d-man to be at 5. Why? Cause at that position, you could get those guys in round 2 and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad