HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The opposite.

But your reply was to a post that was saying fans were dumb for believing the media that the Habs weren't considering Michkov. That insinuates that you think people who buy that line of thinking are protecting themselves, but if it is a media smokescreen what would they be protecting themselves from?

Reactions: Redux91

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
But your reply was to a post that was saying fans were dumb for believing the media that the Habs weren't considering Michkov. That insinuates that you think people who buy that line of thinking are protecting themselves, but if it is a media smokescreen what would they be protecting themselves from?
Protect themselves because they think it's true.

It's rampant in this thread. People even admit to it. "Rumor is we're taking Reinbacher or Leonard, I'll accept it now, so i don't get pissed off when thry don't pick Michkov".

Even yourself, you even warned me not to meltdown when thry don't pick him. It's stress management 101. Expect the most negative outcome so that you don't get disappointed.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Protect themselves because they think it's true.

It's rampant in this thread. People even admit to it. "Rumor is we're taking Reinbacher or Leonard, I'll accept it now, so i don't get pissed off when thry don't pick Michkov".

Even yourself, you even warned me not to meltdown when thry don't pick him. It's stress management 101. Expect the most negative outcome so that you don't get disappointed.

That's not at all how the thread here has played out, but sure.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That's not at all how the thread here has played out, but sure.

Go re-read it. There's a load of posts doing just that.

As soon as the Athletic report went out, you went in automatic mode, "it's Reinbacher or Leonard if Smith isn't there".

It's predictability vs control. We have no control over the outcome, so to manage stress, many will simply go with predictability. Also, it's mostly subconscious, so if you aren't aware you're doing it, you probably won't be aware of others doing it.

Reactions: ReHabs

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Go re-read it. There's a load of posts doing just that.

As soon as the Athletic report went out, you went in automatic mode, "it's Reinbacher or Leonard if Smith isn't there".

It's predictability vs control. We have no control over the outcome, so to manage stress, many will simply go with predictability. Also, it's mostly subconscious, so if you aren't aware you're doing it, you probably won't be aware of others doing it.

I think it's fair to counterbalance this assertion, with the fact that someone could just be trying to predict the outcome for fun. Where I think @WeThreeKings is coming from. The stories in the media could be true, we just don't know that they are.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think it's fair to counterbalance this assertion, with the fact that someone could just be trying to predict the outcome for fun. Where I think @WeThreeKings is coming from. The stories in the media could be true, we just don't know that they are.

But that's my whole point. We don't know, yet many are taking this to the bank as de facto.

I've seen posts saying

-"my mind is now ready for the Habs to pick Reinbacher or Leonard."

-"Habs always do this. They're gonna pick character over skill"

"It's gonna be Leonard or Reinbacher. We can't have nice things"

And so on.

Reactions: SOLR

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I have time for morin from like the 14th pick.

Dont think he lasts until 14, if he does though hes an easy one.
14 is « early » from a projections stand point no? I like him a lot so I wouldn’t bat an eyelash as a mid/late first round selection but I don’t feel like he has a lot of traction.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Meier and Werenski are two very valuable players and any team drafting them would be incredibly happy to get them.

Theyd be incredibly mad if they passed over Mcdavid Eichel Tkachuk and Marner for them though.
Argument can be said that M.Tkachuk is more valuable then Panarin/Kaprisov though

Etienne Morin at 37, anyone here up for it? Another LD but solid potential offensively.
Wouldn’t complain for sure

Reactions: Gustave

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
With respect, the red flags you listed in the previous post don't actually exist by any factual metric. They're essentially lies.

Want Michkov's Weaknesses?
-Sometimes watches the puck or gets lost in his zone while defending (keeping in mind he's 18 in a men's league)
-Not certain his high-end puck handling in a phone booth will work at the speed of the NHL level, but his other skills should translate
-Sometimes forces plays

Michkov is being touted as a superstar because he is doing superstar things. He's putting up generational numbers in the second best league in the world with all-world skills. When people look like they have generational talent, they don't fail in the NHL that often.

Wright was plateauing last year. There were legit concerns surrounding him. He was still my pick, and I found Slaf way more concerning (I had him 6th), but I would have been ok with Cooley or Jiricek or something. That's a little different than this whole narrative of Shane Wright being some kind of savior. I think this forum was mostly measured on their expectations for Wright, given the weak draft year.

The idea that the entire Habs fanbase other than Garbageyuk are a monolith that act like a group of idiots and tout rando skill players as the next savior is ridiculous.

This is not some random skill guy. This is a player that was touted as being neck-in-neck with Bedard his entire career. Ryan Leonard, Reinbarcher, and f***ing Dvorsky don't even come close to measuring up.
With Wright, the writing was on the wall, his draft year was as flat as they come, then came the interviews and you could tell the mental toughness that is required to play the role might not be sufficient here. People kept finding excuses and when playoffs started, we were promised that he will now show up...he didn't.

With Michkov, those gms are not questioning his offensive ability, none questioned Yakupov's ability back then even thought the concerns were similar, although Yakupov was bigger and more physical.

With Michkov, there's elite offense but underwhelming everything else including skating and size ohhhhhhhh and a massive foreign policy situation. Remove the foreign policy issue and he's easily gone top 3. With it, who knows. As fans, it seems like an easy desicion, for a GM, most likely getting multiple people involved in this desicion including the owner, it ain't.

Reactions: Vinceh and Vachon23

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Meier and Werenski are two very valuable players and any team drafting them would be incredibly happy to get them.

Theyd be incredibly mad if they passed over Mcdavid Eichel Tkachuk and Marner for them though.
Thing is we are picking 5th, not 3rd, so we are not really passing on McDavid, Eichel, Marner or Tkachuk, all those players were ranked top 4.

When we are being called upon to make a selection at this years draft, the only player we may “pass” on is Michkov for the obvious reasons.

Now, if I’m the Habs, Michkov is my guy at 5, but don’t be surprised if it’s Leonard or Reinbacher (honorable mention to Benson) as they are probably the most skilled players after the top 5.

Leonard and Reinbacher is not a reach nor will it be a disappointment unless we pass on Carlsson if he falls and to a lesser extent Smith.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Michkov is gonna fall like Wright.
Just accept it now so you dont crash the server on us.
I’ll take the other side of that bet. When the rubber meets the road on draft day & things get real, someone will take him top 5.

The servers will crash either way, of course.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Craig Button's list is out.

At no.5 he has --- Axel Sandin-Pellikka

Spitting-coffee GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Status