HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I've been looking at mid-season/final ranking listing and there seems to be many players that are falling this year (and a bunch raising too).

Too bad Habs don't have more 2nd round picks, some of the fallers might end up there the way things are going.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I have little doubt he will. Hes a better skater than Caufield right now and he still has growth to go through. His edges really are great and to call him a below average skater is just a complete fallacy.
Benson is a great example of why speed and edges need to be differentiated. His speed is mediocre- especially for his size. He won’t be skating away from many in the NHL…

But his edges are great and allow him to create space for himself east/west.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
More noise from SJ

More posturing.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
mfw when we pass on Michkov but pick Simashev.

iu
At 31 these risks and gambles are way more worth it. Simashev is a top 12 player so to land him at 31, it's a home run and odds are whoever else you land at 31 might not amount to much, so roll the dice

Reactions: Frank JT

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
It would be crazy if Sale is there at Florida's pick. He's really talented. He got really low minutes in the Czech league which hurt his draft ranking.

I doubt he drops that far. My main target for the Florida pick is Anton Wahlberg.
Sounds like Sebastian Colbert / Brad Lambert

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Brock Otten's final top 50 rankings for the OHL eligibles. Not the best crop for that league, but there's still going to be a lot of guys getting picked.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's definitely neither. Way better vision & playmaker than Lambert could ever hope to be, and is an outstanding skater.

Colbert couldn't skate, or pass. He was a small netfront guy.

Sale shouldn't be dropping that far. He has legitimate high end skills.

He definitely has skill but he may be the softest player in the draft which is disappointing for a kid who is 6'2". I have seen kids shed the soft label so he is absolutely worth a shot if he slips to the back end of the first round.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He definitely has skill but he may be the softest player in the draft which is disappointing for a kid who is 6'2". I have seen kids shed the soft label so he is absolutely worth a shot if he slips to the back end of the first round.

I mean Hemsky, Necas & Tanguay are of the same nature. Still bring results. Think Sale has that potential.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I mean Hemsky, Necas & Tanguay are of the same nature. Still bring results. Think Sale has that potential.

Very true although I would say that they are the exception. A lot of skilled but soft Euro players end up back in Europe rather quickly or just never end up coming over.

He would be something of a home run swing for sure.

Full disclosure........ I am hoping for Strbak with the FLA pick or at 37.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
More noise from SJ

"According to this source, the Montreal Canadiens with the fifth-overall pick might have a surprise up their sleeve: “Sounds like it’s Reinbacher or Leonard for Montreal.”

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Benson is a great example of why speed and edges need to be differentiated. His speed is mediocre- especially for his size. He won’t be skating away from many in the NHL…

But his edges are great and allow him to create space for himself east/west.

Bensons "top gear" isnt even bad. Its more than decent. Its only a problem when you start using the "for his size" thing, and I mean is a smol bean going fast less impressive than a large potato? They go the same speed and get there at the same speed.

Its a very weird notion that smaller players need to be faster than taller ones. Why? St-Louis was never blazing fast. Desharnais was slow as molasse. Koivu wasnt fast. Caufield isnt blazing fast.

All these players are/were fast, they didnt look slow, but yet wed say they're "slow" for their size because of course, a smaller player needs to be Jack Hughes to succeed.

At 31 these risks and gambles are way more worth it. Simashev is a top 12 player so to land him at 31, it's a home run and odds are whoever else you land at 31 might not amount to much, so roll the dice
At 31 youd much rather pick a guy that displayed he has no shooting skills, cant produce at a level of a 5th rounder and is russian?

Michkov isnt a gamble. Michkov doesnt pose risks. Hes a sure thing. Hes gonna be a star.
It would be crazy if Sale is there at Florida's pick. He's really talented. He got really low minutes in the Czech league which hurt his draft ranking.

I doubt he drops that far. My main target for the Florida pick is Anton Wahlberg.

Sale at 31 would make picking Leonard at 5 palatable. Go for broke at 31, dont go for Strbak.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
So Habs is likely to pick Leonard or Reinbacher at this point. My opinion? I'm 100% fine with that. They both worth a top 5 selection. I would rather have Ryan Leonard, but if Habs decide to pick Reinbacher, we are going to have a fun defensive group to watch for many years to come.

Reactions: Goldenhands
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad