HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
My question about Smith is if he can actual have a motor in the NHL. It's not quite Shane Wright bad, but it is a concern, especially without the high end skating. Of course you look at guys like Suzuki and Sergachev who had "motor" issues in their junior career too. He's also a smart player so slowing it down to process what option is best is natural, you'd still like to see way more effort outside the offensive zone.

My question about Leonard is how durable will his play style at his size be. I have zero doubts that he's going to score minimum 60 points a season while being a force in every facet of the game, but for how long? You mentioned Iginla who was an impact player even at 38 years old, but Leonard could also not handle it like how Brown did from 27 years old (only 2 50+ point seasons) which is not good for a top 5 pick.

I'm still thinking we pick Reinbacher who will likely produce 30-40 points playing 25 minutes a night for a long time. We would be in pretty good shape rolling:

Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Barron

There is no top 10 dman here, but would be similar to Vegas who in my opinion has the best 1-6 defense core in the league. You can confidently play that 3rd pairing unlike that Kulak-Romanov pairing we had in our run, have the option to go Guhle-Reinbacher as a pure shut down, and Hutson-Mailloux to try and generate some offense.
Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Bonk (31th or 32th, if lucky) or Stbak (37th)
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble- Harris

And add one of Michkov, Smith, Leonard on offense.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
He skates like Gallagher with that awkward forward lean and no top end speed. He may very well improve that and he may improve his shot but he has way too many question marks and there just aren't any examples of small guys with both skating and shooting issues in today's NHL that are worthy of going top ten in a stacked draft. I personally hope he succeeds because he has a huge heart and plays the game the right way but I wouldn't gamble with a top 10 pick in this years draft on him.

I think I will print this on to some two-ply and wipe my butt with it. Leonard at 22 lol....what a joke!
If they really want Leonard, Columbus needs to get him at 3OA. No way he drops to their pick @ 22OA.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Looking for a tiny forward? Benson. Looking for a player who can't score from distance? Benson. Looking for a below average skater? Benson.

This works both ways. He is a good player but I would not be surprised at all to see him fall out of the top ten and I don't think Montreal has any intent on drafting the kid.
I did not read the rest of your post after that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He skates like Gallagher with that awkward forward lean and no top end speed. He may very well improve that and he may improve his shot but he has way too many question marks and there just aren't any examples of small guys with both skating and shooting issues in today's NHL that are worthy of going top ten in a stacked draft. I personally hope he succeeds because he has a huge heart and plays the game the right way but I wouldn't gamble with a top 10 pick in this years draft on him.

I think I will print this on to some two-ply and wipe my butt with it. Leonard at 22 lol....what a joke!
Benson skates way better than Gallagher lmaooooo

I did not read the rest of your post after that.
Yup, ridiculous.

Reactions: rochab

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
OMG! If only I had a dollar for every time I saw a quote that begins with "If they don't Michkov..." and finishes with something along the lines of I'm done with HuGo or I'm done with this team.
Honestly, I've seen it far less than everyone who is actually on board with Michkov and being reasonable, which I think is the majority of the board and fan base.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Leonard at 5. Simachev at 31.
mfw when we pass on Michkov but pick Simashev.

iu

Locks

May 28, 2005
More noise from SJ

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

I think Benson’s skating is limited, but this is way off base. He’s got a pretty similar profile to Caufield where he has elite edges and gets around in small spaces exceptionally well, but has very little for a top gear. I don’t think he’ll end up being a great rush player in the NHL, but he’s going to be more than competent skating-wise once the play is set. He’s not a bad skater, he’s just limited with what he can do.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think Benson’s skating is limited, but this is way off base. He’s got a pretty similar profile to Caufield where he has elite edges and gets around in small spaces exceptionally well, but has very little for a top gear. I don’t think he’ll end up being a great rush player in the NHL, but he’s going to be more than competent skating-wise once the play is set. He’s not a bad skater, he’s just limited with what he can do.

His edges are fine but his posture and leg drive are pretty bad. He has a bad forward lean like Gallagher has and can not build on his initial burst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad