HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
When PIT won, everyone said speed.
When TBL won, everyone said skill.
When LAK or STL won, everyone said defence and grind.

Now everyone will say forechecking.

There is no blublueprint

There is no blueprint, but Leonard seems like a guy who could be a major asset regardless of what kind of game you play. Speed? Check. Skill? Check. Defence and grind? Check. Forechecking? Check. He can help you win in a lot of ways.

He can add speed, skill, defence and grind, and forechecking to lines that already have any or all those attributes, or to lines that are missing those attributes to better balance them.

Aside from Leonard is there any other forward you can say that about? Maybe Benson but he's about 30 pounds lighter than Leonard (we'll know for sure soon) and slower.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I watched very few prospects and except for Bedard, Michkov and Fantilli, the ones I've seen I've seen very little.

When I saw Bedard and Michkov in the same tourney a couple years ago, I thought Michkov was the better prospect. I didn't like Fantilli until I saw his goal at the Worlds. Then I got what all the scouts saw. However, I still think he has a tiny toolbox.

I saw a little of Uncle Leo and was not impressed by him. Maybe I caught him at bad times.

Going through this thread, I get the impression this draft for most posters is like being kids in a huge toy store and told they can only get one toy.

Reactions: Garnet76

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's not the 5th best player in the draft, IMO. But I would be excited to have him on the team.

Thats where I sit too.

The thing is if they go Leonard, Im pretty sure the tank is 100% a fail.

We needed to find the best player on the team and instead were gonna land the 4th and 5th best.
How do mods decide who is trolling and who is just a bit blessed?
If it starts with a M and ends with a B1p its trolling, anyone else is just blessed.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Many teams are going to load up on decent prospects this draft. Just look at the teams in front of us. Plus all the teams in the top 10 are getting a good prospect. That's almost 1/3 of the league. We need a homerun and hopefully it's Michkov.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Eichel had 2 and they're 4 and 5 seasons ago.

Mark Stone has 3 and they're 3, 5 and 6 seasons ago.

Stone might pass as such, but Eichel isn't a big stretch to say he is, but it's a stretch.

So, realistically Vegas has maybe 1 ppg player, but their team has a lot of good players and system through and through that helps them.
In context of this rather simple discussion, PPG Player means Productive Player. You don’t need to be pedantic. Eichel was effectively PPG this year and his reputation precedes him: he is a productive player.

Vegas has a handful of productive players no matter what their point totals this specific year.

And somehow hes not an option at 5.

I f***ing hate Hugo.
They won’t draft Benson because they’ll draft whoever is left from the top5.

There is no blueprint, but Leonard seems like a guy who could be a major asset regardless of what kind of game you play. Speed? Check. Skill? Check. Defence and grind? Check. Forechecking? Check. He can help you win in a lot of ways.

He can add speed, skill, defence and grind, and forechecking to lines that already have any or all those attributes, or to lines that are missing those attributes to better balance them.

Aside from Leonard is there any other forward you can say that about? Maybe Benson but he's about 30 pounds lighter than Leonard (we'll know for sure soon) and slower.
Different players have different skill levels and productivity and it is my understanding that Leonard is not considered one of the five best forwards of this draft. He’s irrelevant to our purposes. We can’t have every good prospect.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In context of this rather simple discussion, PPG Player means Productive Player. You don’t need to be pedantic. Eichel was effectively PPG this year and his reputation precedes him: he is a productive player.

Vegas has a handful of productive players no matter what their point totals this specific year.

They won’t draft Benson because they’ll draft whoever is left from the top5.

Different players have different skill levels and productivity and it is my understanding that Leonard is not considered one of the five best forwards of this draft. He’s irrelevant to our purposes. We can’t have every good prospect.
Benson is top 5 tho

Reactions: NekkiChiconey

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006

Article posted a hour ago speculating from a trusted source that Sharks are leaning towards Smith.

Also mentions from same source that it’s between Reinbacher and Leonard for the Habs.
But a league source just shared this bit of San Jose Sharks’ Draft Combine buzz: “Rumor is Will Smith is flying to San Jose for a tour. He sounds like the Sharks’ guy.”
Now take this with a grain of salt. I trust my source, or I wouldn’t have shared his text, but he’s just passing on what he’s heard. Remember, it’s a rumor.

I believe this is under the assumption that the Chicago Blackhawks will take Connor Bedard first-overall, the Anaheim Ducks’ Adam Fantilli at No. 2, and the Columbus Blue Jackets’ Leo Carlsson third-overall. That’s the general industry consensus right now, and would leave Smith, Matvei Michkov, and David Reinbacher as some of the likelier possibilities for the San Jose Sharks at No. 4.
The habs part:
Anyway, where does that leave the polarizing Michkov or fast-rising defenseman Reinbacher?

According to this source, the Montreal Canadiens with the fifth-overall pick might have a surprise up their sleeve: “Sounds like it’s Reinbacher or Leonard for Montreal.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad