HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's one of the worst skater in the draft, that's why he's not higher on people's list.

That is not true, while his skating is his biggest weakness it is not terrible and he has improved as the year has went on. I project him to be an average skater or maybe slightly below average but he is nowhere near as bad as the worst skaters in the draft. Like Benson his skating is primarily a weakness because of a lack of size and relation to their draft ranking. When comparing them to the entire draft class they don't fare nearly as poorly as you are suggesting.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's difficult to see what you mean if you're not explaining it though. But yeah, Iginla was seen as you say. Leonard is more physical than Slaf though. He hurts guys with open ice hits. He's kind of like a current era Deadmarsh, if I can reprize that comp, meaning more skill and less of that 90s bulldozer kind of playstyle.

It should have said early (Firkus).

Pointing out a discrepancy isn't anymore rude when you're on the receiving end than when you're doing it. You know you're quick on the hyperboles, so I'm not sure why you're pointing them out tbh. But yeah, if it felt demeaning that wasn't the intention.

If we go back to our own individual biases though. Leonard is definitely the kind of player I'll overshoot. That Deadmarsh/Iginla kind of gamer who can skate and make skilled plays is just so unique that I'd tend to forget he's his own player with his own trajectory. That trajectory could be just a better Farabee.

I think the question with Leonard is how effective will he be against much bigger and stronger competition and is his play style conducive to staying healthy given his height disadvantage where he will be very susceptible to head shots. His style of play is going to invite retaliation and his head sits at a dangerous level as most players that engage in this style of play are taller and their shoulders are more apt to collide with his head.

There is no doubt that he is a very good prospect but I would be wary of passing over other elite talents to grab him.

I am still leaning Dvorsky at #5 if Carlsson, Fantilli and Michkov are gone.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Were overrating Leonard if we believe hes gonna be probably the best goalscoring powerforward ever, lol. I mean, if you're going to say this, why is he 5th on your list? Pump those numbers up and put him 1st.

Hes 5'11 and super skilled, hes not 6'1 and coming off a year where he terrorized the dub, lol.
And, no one has ever said this. Plus, he's 6 feet now. The size of your most favorite player ever: Danault.

He's not going to have issues playing the NHL physical game.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
It’s a reach at 5 but I’d take Matthew Wood. His skating can be improved with training and just gaining strength after he’s grown so much. His head and hands are exceptional. Starting to see his name more and more in the Top 10 prospects now. He’s the ultimate home run swing if they have decided to avoid Michkov.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
No dinner for Benson.. I know we have a lot of Benson lovers on here, but there continues to be 0 in the direction of Benson to Montreal at 5.

Guess he'll just have to go be a great player for another team (injuries the only barrier in my opinion).

He'd be a great fit in Pittsburgh under Crosby's tutelage in a few years. If I were Dubas I would find a way to nab him.

Reactions: Jack Skellington

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I think the question with Leonard is how effective will he be against much bigger and stronger competition and is his play style conducive to staying healthy given his height disadvantage where he will be very susceptible to head shots. His style of play is going to invite retaliation and his head sits at a dangerous level as most players that engage in this style of play are taller and their shoulders are more apt to collide with his head.

There is no doubt that he is a very good prospect but I would be wary of passing over other elite talents to grab him.

I am still leaning Dvorsky at #5 if Carlsson, Fantilli and Michkov are gone.
He's the same height as Dustin Brown, Gudas, Clutterbuck, Tanev and Romanov. Bigger than Callahan.

This is such a non-issue.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Pure BPA = Michkov
BPA = Who is left with Carlsson, Smith.
BPA/NEED = Leonard
NEED = Reinbacher
Not sure what this is = Dvorsky.

That's MY take. Not THE take.

The way I see it Carlsson & Michkov are in a different tier... the rest are all close enough

Reactions: waitin425

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Were overrating Leonard if we believe hes gonna be probably the best goalscoring powerforward ever, lol. I mean, if you're going to say this, why is he 5th on your list? Pump those numbers up and put him 1st.

Hes 5'11 and super skilled, hes not 6'1 and coming off a year where he terrorized the dub, lol.
The best power forward ever has already played and won't ever come again.

It's almost a certainty that there won't be a player drafted again that can score 50 and beat the f*** out of the majority of the league.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Watching some of those highlights videos and that tweet, it's clear thar Leonard has his own skill and isn't a player who just goes to the net and taps in pucks on open nets, or gets hit by the puck, but rather sets up a play and finishes, or gets himself room and snipes it with what appears to be a very good shot.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Watching some of those highlights videos and that tweet, it's clear thar Leonard has his own skill and isn't a player who just goes to the net and taps in pucks on open nets, or gets hit by the puck, but rather sets up a play and finishes, or gets himself room and snipes it with what appears to be a very good shot.
And all of a sudden
6' 192 is like.. small?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
And all of a sudden
6' 192 is like.. small?
I guess it is as the league average was 6'1, but that was a few years ago.

However, players like Scott Nichol, Scottie Upshall, Rick Rypien(RIP) and others who were tough as nails and rocked people would suggest otherwise.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I’m seeing a lot of Ryan Leonard hype right now. Is that based on anything of substance? Have been too busy to really follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad