Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I see no reason to rush him into the NHL. He should atleast get the treatment Z got and earn his way to the NHL.

There is no upside to throwing a 18 year old on the top line of largely the same roster of the worst team in the league.

I would rather he spend a full year in the AHL and go to the WJC, but I doubt that happens.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If we take Michkov I'm assuming they know something we don't and the interview process went VERY well.

Did the team interview Michkov in Russia? Or are they going to interview him here before the draft? Is he Michkov allowed to venture outside Russia or Russian allied countries? Because if he does come over, then he could defect the moment he lands on NA soil.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I see no reason to rush him into the NHL. He should atleast get the treatment Z got and earn his way to the NHL.

There is no upside to throwing a 18 year old on the top line of largely the same roster of the worst team in the league.

I would rather he spend a full year in the AHL and go to the WJC, but I doubt that happens.

Forward prospects of Fantilli's caliber make the NHL right away, 100% of the time in recent memory.

Did you feel like McTavish was rushed this year? Fantilli will be the same age this upcoming season as McT was this year. I don't see any reason to believe Fantilli is any less NHL ready at the same age, the opposite is likely closer to the truth.

Zegras just really isn't comparable, Fantilli is on another tier as a draft prospect, and so much more physically ready for NHL hockey. Probably was bigger and stronger at 16 than Z is now.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Did the team interview Michkov in Russia? Or are they going to interview him here before the draft? Is he Michkov allowed to venture outside Russia or Russian allied countries? Because if he does come over, then he could defect the moment he lands on NA soil.

I have no idea about this part, I'd love to know though.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Based on this NHL scout quoted in the Athletic I don't think anybody has had access to him for a while...
Scout 1: Michkov could fall. He shouldn’t, but he could.

On talent, he’s right there with Bedard in terms of you don’t see guys finish the way he does, but how comfortable are scouts a) having not seen him play live in a year b) how comfortable are they with his current contract.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
What else do the Jackets need to add ? We’re adding a first round pick for one spot
you're asking us to move on from Fantilli who will play in the NHL and will sign with us, to move down for Michkov who we don't know if will ever play in the NHL. I'm highly against drafting Michkov, and I would rather have Fantilli over Carlsson as well. It would have to be one of Columbus blue chip prospects to convince me to drop down a spot.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
isn't Marner who disappears when the going gets tough. And Michkov? I didn't see in the PV interview where he discussed the value of building a team with a small soft winger.
I feel compelled to jump in here. Marner and Michkov are not even on the same plane as prospects. Like marner was great. Michkov is a generational talent. He led every international tournament he finished in scoring(as an underaged player). Including the u18 wjc in which Michkov(7gp 16p) outscored Bedard(7 gp 14p). Fantilli didn't even make Canada's u18 team that year nor did Carlsson, because it is uncommon for underaged players to make that team let alone lead the entire tournament in scoring.

The one tournament these 2 players saw together, YOG u16 tournament. Michkov scored 14 points in 4 games. Fantilli scored 3 in 4.

There is nothing wrong with taking Fantilli for fit he is great player and a different position. Fantilli is not a prodigy though. Michkov is. Fantilli is not the same calibre as michkov in talent. The only advantage Fantilli has on Michkov is express 1 day delivery and size(doesn't matter)

I think at this point, Fantilli is a Duck. He’s the kind of player we need and happens to be the next best available.
That's the reason Fantilli will go 2nd overall. I suppose you could say a dash of Putin, but I think Putin is probably in 2nd place to the contract.

Tough spot for Anaheim truth be told. The "90% of scouts" who have Fantilli at 2, are fully aware michkov is going to be guaranteed star the day he enters the NHL at 21 years old.

If Fantilli hops in and produces at a star level within his first 3 seasons. W.

If fantilli takes 3 years to break out, but shows signs of progress. L. This situation will be rough. Because in 3 years Michkov will likely out produce fantilli the rest of his career.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Because Fantilli does play a little more of a north-south game than Michkov and Carlsson, his game and offensive upside is going to be questioned and dissected by HF experts who have no skin in the game - same thing happened to MacKinnon even. God, if we do go with him I can’t wait til he literally wins the Calder next year lol

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Marner is on another level vs Terry.
Marner has played 48 playoff games over 7 years and has a total of 9 goals.

For almost $11m aav, that doesn’t seem like a good return.

John

Edit Added: I don’t want to give up the assets to get Marner for 2 years when we are not going to be competitive. And he doesn’t have a great playoff record if we extend him.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anaheim trades #2 to Columbus for #3 and #21.

Columbus drafts Fantilli.

Anaheim drafts Michkov.

Zegras - Michkov “the Michigan connection”

Deep in your heart you know that’s the move.

Chances are we would go carlsson in a trade down, I feel like there is 0 chance we go michkov.

I mean I think value wise that’s prob fair…. But no real incentive for Anaheim to make the move. Verbeek is already on the record as saying he wants to be in control of who we get… at 3/4 we might miss the guy we want…. At 2 we get what we want

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
It's almost a clear media and scout consensus that Fantilli is the #2 pick
The only thing that worries me is Verbeeks passion for gentle giants like Carlson

I think at this point, Fantilli is a Duck. He’s the kind of player we need and happens to be the next best available.

Based on this NHL scout quoted in the Athletic I don't think anybody has had access to him for a while...

I'm not expressing an opinion - I don't claim any expertise on scouting players. My only thought is that the ducks can't risk picking Michkov.

But the interesting thing is that in the Athletic article linked above, all 4 scouts are quoted as preferring Carlson over Fantilli. So maybe there's not as much a consensus as you'd think?

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Forward prospects of Fantilli's caliber make the NHL right away, 100% of the time in recent memory.

Did you feel like McTavish was rushed this year? Fantilli will be the same age this upcoming season as McT was this year. I don't see any reason to believe Fantilli is any less NHL ready at the same age, the opposite is likely closer to the truth.

Zegras just really isn't comparable, Fantilli is on another tier as a draft prospect, and so much more physically ready for NHL hockey. Probably was bigger and stronger at 16 than Z is now.
And I can name a lot of them that struggle when they go to the NHL at 18.

Also McTavish isn’t a good comp since he couldn’t go to the AHL. He had nothing to prove at that level, similar to Fantilli, but it was NHL or nothing.

And to answer your question with a question, do you think McTavish’s development would have been stunted by a stint in the AHL? Do you think Fantilli’s would be? Because I don’t know one player that had their development stunted by a year in the AHL.

I don’t care about next year. I care about Fantilli becoming the franchise player for the next 15 years. That has to be more important then next year.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Marner has played 48 playoff games over 7 years and has a total of 9 goals.

For almost $11m aav, that doesn’t seem like a good return.

John

Edit Added: I don’t want to give up the assets to get Marner for 2 years when we are not going to be competitive. And he doesn’t have a great playoff record if we extend him.

yeah, I don’t think I would agree with you there. I would take Marner over Terry 10/10 times. I’m sure a lot of people on here would too.

I remember Perry having the same flack at times when he wasn’t producing in some playoffs for the Ducks when he was here.

Reactions: goonsaredumb

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
And I can name a lot of them that struggle when they go to the NHL at 18.

Also McTavish isn’t a good comp since he couldn’t go to the AHL. He had nothing to prove at that level, similar to Fantilli, but it was NHL or nothing.

And to answer your question with a question, do you think McTavish’s development would have been stunted by a stint in the AHL? Do you think Fantilli’s would be? Because I don’t know one player that had their development stunted by a year in the AHL.

I don’t care about next year. I care about Fantilli becoming the franchise player for the next 15 years. That has to be more important then next year.

Struggling through the age 18 season doesn't mean they were better off playing at a lower level.

The question really isn't relevant. McTavish clearly was NHL ready this season, it seems pessimistic or at least overly cautious to assume Fantilli won't be at the same age. I don't see the reason to keep referring to it as "rushing him to the NHL". You give prospects the challenge that best suits where they are at in their development. It's really not rushing if it's the same path every single one of his peers takes, nor is it rushing if he's ready for it.

And again, Fantilli just played his age 18 season. He's heading into his age 19 season. For all intents and purposes he's already just played his D+1 but had to wait a year to be drafted on a technicality due to the Sept 15th cutoff rule that was not intended for players as physically advanced as him.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
yeah, I don’t think I would agree with you there. I would take Marner over Terry 10/10 times. I’m sure a lot of people on here would too.

I remember Perry having the same flack at times when he wasn’t producing in some playoffs for the Ducks when he was here.
I know I would, I love Terry but Marner is one of the top two-way forwards in the entire league, people definitely overstate Marner's lack of playoff production he's still managed to be over a point per game in the last two postseasons and I don't have any doubt in my mind that he could take that production to another level with a different coach on a different team, I think that goes for all of Toronto's core players, that team is just cursed just look at how many of their underperforming players went on to immediate success on a different team playing big roles in their respective new teams' cup runs (Kessel, Kadri, and to a lesser extent Bozak for example).

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Struggling through the age 18 season doesn't mean they were better off playing at a lower level.

The question really isn't relevant. McTavish clearly was NHL ready this season, it seems pessimistic or at least overly cautious to assume Fantilli won't be at the same age. I don't see the reason to keep referring to it as "rushing him to the NHL". You give prospects the challenge that best suits where they are at in their development. It's really not rushing if it's the same path every single one of his peers takes, nor is it rushing if he's ready for it.

And again, Fantilli just played his age 18 season. He's heading into his age 19 season. For all intents and purposes he's already just played his D+1 but had to wait a year to be drafted on a technicality due to the Sept 15th cutoff rule that was not intended for players as physically advanced as him.
I think this is just a difference of opinions. I would prefer to play it safe with him. Over cooking guys is better then undercooking and I don’t think 20 games in the AHL is asking too much.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
That’s not correct.

Scout 1: " . . . . That said, Carlsson is No. 2 for me. I think he’ll be a centre at the next level. When you compare him and Fantilli, Carlsson has superior hockey sense. Carlsson doesn’t have the same pace, he doesn’t play with the same frenetic motor, but he’s like a (Anze) Kopitar with the two-way brain, size and he’s going to make his linemates better. I think the high side is higher than with Fantilli."

Scout 2: "The top three in the draft are elite players who process the game at a high level. Bedard is obviously No. 1 but (the gap between Bedard and Carlsson) is probably closer than a lot of people may think.

Bedard has been so big in world juniors and sort of that international stage over the last couple of years where it gives him the bright lights of stardom, but Carlsson is a dynamic player in his own right and probably isn’t getting enough credit for how good he is."

Scout 3: "For me, honestly, it’s a very good debate between No. 2 and No. 3. I think Carlsson at the end of the day might be the best pick at second overall."

Scout 4: - Technically did not express an opinion.

So the 3 that expressed opinions preferred Carlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad