Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Fantilli is ranked #2 on literally every list but one (out of 15 or so) referenced on EliteProspects, including Bob McKenzie’s list, which is nothing but aan aggregate ranking of scouts he’s spoken to.

I fail to see how one article, that is clearly cherry picking a few scouts who prefer someone else, means anything.

Carlsson is a great talent, and I’m sure there is a minority of the scouting world that sees him above Fantilli. But from the information available to us, that’s all it is, a minority.
To be fair, McKenzie specifically said that among the scouts whose opinions went into his list, 4 had Fantili at no. 2 and 3 had Carlsson there (another 3 went with Michkov), so it’s hardly a strong consensus or a negligible minority. The final rankings might offer a bit more of a consensus, but I wouldn’t count on that.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Mckenzies list time and time again ends up being most accurate and it has Fantilli at #2, Smith at 3 and Carlsson dropped to #4. He was higher on McTavish than nearly all lists in 2021.
Also central scouting was high on McTavish too and Fantili is #2 there as well.

I doubt it's just a few scouts he's talked to, probably tons of them and it's ended up with Fantilli at 2, Smith at 3 and Carlsson at 4. To take a guy at 2 who's dropped from 3 to 4 on McKenzies list seems like a Slafkovsky/Kotkaniemi move.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Mckenzies list time and time again ends up being most accurate and it has Fantilli at #2, Smith at 3 and Carlsson dropped to #4. He was higher on McTavish than nearly all lists in 2021.
Also central scouting was high on McTavish too and Fantili is #2 there as well.

I doubt it's just a few scouts he's talked to, probably tons of them and it's ended up with Fantilli at 2, Smith at 3 and Carlsson at 4. To take a guy at 2 who's dropped from 3 to 4 on McKenzies list seems like a Slafkovsky/Kotkaniemi move.

McKenzie, iirc, had Eklund and McTavish tied at 4th overall on his ranking. His final ranking came in late July, when everyone started to change their tune on McTavish. In early June, CSB had McTavish ranked #2, EP ranked him #5, and Sportsnet ranked him #9. Everyone else had McTavish in the double digits in June. McKenzie ranked McTavish 11th in June.

McTavish Prospect Rankings
McTavish.Draft day.
Scouting Media, 2021
4-Jun​
23-Jul​
Diff
Consolidated Ranking
14​
8​
6​
Elite Prospects
5​
5​
0​
FC Hockey
15​
10​
5​
Neutral Zone
21​
9​
12​
McKeen's Hockey
16​
7​
9​
NHL Central Scouting (NA)
2​
2​
0​
Sportsnet's
9​
8​
1​
Recruit Scouting
17​
9​
8​
Dobber Prospects
29​
11​
18​
Draft Prospects
14​
9​
5​
Smaht Scouting
32​
13​
19​
The Puck Authority
17​
11​
6​
TSN/McKenzie
11​
4​
7​

As for Central Scouting Final rankings

NA
1. Bedard​
2. Fantilli​

Euro
1. Carlsson​
2. Michkov​

We've seen many scouts ranking Michkov second behind Bedard. It should speak volumes when Central Scouting ranks Carlsson over Michkov. Why isn't Carlsson viable to be an option at 2nd overall? What funny is I asked a similar question two drafts ago, "Why isn't McTavish viable to be an option at 3rd overall?" There were only probably only two-three people who thought McTavish could be an option on HFboards and I'm one of those people. Looking at those Final rankings for McTavish, not many actually believed McTavish was worth a 3rd overall selection, including McKenzie.

I still think that Fantilli is what Verbeek wants in a prospect, but I think Carlsson could end up being the better prospect in the long run. We win either way b/c that's the fifth top-10 in a row we have collected and already have three top-6 forwards set in Terry, Zegras, and McTavish.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Verbeek has said that we are adding size which indicates its between Fantilli and Carlsson. Wait until after the WC and you will see a lot of people swing in Carlsson's direction. Its far closer between the two than most people admit.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Verbeek has said that we are adding size which indicates its between Fantilli and Carlsson. Wait until after the WC and you will see a lot of people swing in Carlsson's direction. Its far closer between the two than most people admit.
Yup, he indicated it I think multiple times in the post-lottery interviews without naming specific names ofc.
Another thing that Pat mentioned at the end of this video is that he wants players that can overcome adversity. The rave reviews about Fantilli and the way he plays (especially at the WJC) make me feel even stronger that Fantilli is our pick. Not that Carlsson is bad, but just IMO even his body language is not as ''intense'' - as ridiculous as that statement I know sounds :D

Also, shoutout to the Ducks Stream, they've been an awesome addition, I think Verbeek had his hand in making something like this:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I’m like a minute in to this interview but apparently he’s trained with Zegras.

He's just checking all the boxes...
Ultra competitive, willing to do whatever it takes, and he has the speed, size, and welp, with all the question marks of his offensive ceiling, he had the best NCAA pre-draft year since Kariya, even beating Eichel slightly. He's very aware of his strengths and shortcomings and he's working his ass off to improve it. I think he'd fit in very well with Zegras and McTavish with that and they will be able to do whatever it takes for them to become great.

Interesting part at 17:18 where they talk about his U18 and he discusses how snakebitten he was there (reminds me of his WJC play :) ) yet still just only came up short in best scorer. Btw Hvidston was also on that team.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He's just checking all the boxes...
Ultra competitive, willing to do whatever it takes, and he has the speed, size, and welp, with all the question marks of his offensive ceiling, he had the best NCAA pre-draft year since Kariya, even beating Eichel slightly. He's very aware of his strengths and shortcomings and he's working his ass off to improve it. I think he'd fit in very well with Zegras and McTavish with that and they will be able to do whatever it takes for them to become great.

Interesting part at 17:18 where they talk about his U18 and he discusses how snakebitten he was there (reminds me of his WJC play :) ) yet still just only came up short in best scorer. Btw Hvidston was also on that team.
I think Will Smith's rise in McKenzie's rankings and Columbus supposed big interest in him at #3 makes me wonder if its not Fantilli vs Carlsson for #2 but rather Carlsson vs Smith for #3.

Making such a big pick at #2 this year with so many good players they really want to be sure of who they pick even if they already are leaning one way.
But i do not want to them to overthink so much they end up like Montreal with Slafkovsky.

Reactions: Kalv and AngelDuck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I have Smith and Carlsson in the same tier with a slight nod to Carlsson.

But Smith’s upside is very high
Yeah he's really separated himself from Benson and knocking on Carlssons door.

Montreal has such a tough choice to make at #5....do they go Michkov or Benson/Redenbacher. I'm seeing Redenbacher rise in people's views and he could end up being the Seider of the draft.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Yeah he's really separated himself from Benson and knocking on Carlssons door.

Montreal has such a tough choice to make at #5....do they go Michkov or Benson/Redenbacher. I'm seeing Redenbacher rise in people's views and he could end up being the Seider of the draft.
IMO Montreal trade #5 to Washington for #8+ then select Reinbacher

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
IMO Montreal trade #5 to Washington for #8+ then select Reinbacher
I like Reinbacher more than Benson and he's also a much better fit for them, Benson is small and they already got the smallest man in hockey with Caufield.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I have yet to revisit the Carlsson highlights and materials but I so, so, so much want Fantilli as a Duck, I'm going insane...

PS
A random fact that might have slipped by...

Fantilli scored a similar pace to Bedard in last year's U18 (I guess they were underaged there?) which, funnily enough, also had Hvidston on the roster. Yet, Fantilli was regarded as ''snakebitten'' in that tournament and could have scored much more points. Even with that, he contributed much more to the team than just points. Without knowing more about how Bedard was regarded in that tournament...

Bedard outscored everyone in the recent WJC and was the Chuck Norris of that tournament. But he got the most points in the group stage. He scored 3 points in 1/4 and then "only" 2 points in the last two games. Fantilli didn't score in 1/4 and scored also 2 points in the last 2 crucial games. Bedard is the better prospect, no doubt, but sometimes looking at just total numbers can be misleading. Fantilli is lauded for his play without the puck as much as he is lauded for his game with it. He's an incredible prospect, contributing to his team's success in so many ways... I have faith Pat will be making the right decision regardless, but I'm

#teamFantilli

NaivePerfectHorseshoecrab-max-1mb.gif

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Bedard outscored everyone in the recent WJC and was the Chuck Norris of that tournament. But he got the most points in the group stage. He scored 3 points in 1/4 and then "only" 2 points in the last two games. Fantilli didn't score in 1/4 and scored also 2 points in the last 2 crucial games. Bedard is the better prospect, no doubt, but sometimes looking at just total numbers can be misleading. Fantilli is lauded for his play without the puck as much as he is lauded for his game with it. He's an incredible prospect, contributing to his team's success in so many ways... I have faith Pat will be making the right decision regardless, but I'm

#teamFantilli
Didn't he say he tries to model his game after Bergeron ?
Could end up being a little bit like him. Being that good away from the puck as he is with it, suggests his hockey sense/IQ is super high. It could be that defensive ability that some think limits his ceiling but if anything it shows his hockey sense/IQ is great and will only get better at both sides of the puck.

#TeamFantilli going to pick up a case of Orange Fanta.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Didn't he say he tries to model his game after Bergeron ?
Could end up being a little bit like him. Being that good away from the puck as he is with it, suggests his hockey sense/IQ is super high.
He mentions McKinnon mostly but also in some places mentioned Bergeron, yes. In his interviews, you can see he really prides himself as a two-way player and puts team success above himself and he understand he should (and he can) contribute in many ways.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He mentions McKinnon mostly but also in some places mentioned Bergeron, yes. In his interviews, you can see he really prides himself as a two-way player and puts team success above himself and he understand he should (and he can) contribute in many ways.
They compared him to Bergeron.
If Fantilli can be our Bergy, they may have found a 'winner' who's built for the playoffs.
From the article:
When there's a pedestal like the one set by Eichel, comparing Fantilli to someone in the NHL gets a lot more difficult to do. He plays an aggressive, full-ice attack kind of game and uses his forechecking to create turnovers that turn into scoring opportunities. While Fantilli's offensive prowess is obvious because he's scored 29 goals, his affinity for Boston captain Patrice Bergeron's two-way game has been mentioned in interviews.

When you compare Fantilli's highlights to any of those by Bergeron, it's easy to see the influence. Fantilli is opportunistic and can force the issue on puck-carriers in their defensive zone. That kind of two-way play will make him an instant NHL player next season and a formidable force down the road.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fantilli should be on the Ducks next season. No reason for him to go back to college. Don’t want to hear about rushing players. A consensus 2ndOA who would go 1stOA in other drafts is not going to need to marinate in another league.

This WC will be a big test since he’s playing against men. Every shift is going to be important to watch. Actually am excited now for the WC….

May 12th preliminary round starts?

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
To get a more balanced picture, are there similar articles about Carlsson out there? Fantilli seems like "the consensus #2" according to many mock lists, but knowing there are some scouts out there that do prefer Carlsson over Fantilli it is probably prudent to get ourselves an understanding of him as well.

Otherwise we might just collectively hype ourselves up for Fantilli for seven weeks and then feel just as crushed as missing out on Bedard when Verbeek or Madden announces the Carlsson pick.

Reactions: duckpuck

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Fantilli should be on the Ducks next season. No reason for him to go back to college. Don’t want to hear about rushing players. A consensus 2ndOA who would go 1stOA in other drafts is not going to need to marinate in another league.

This WC will be a big test since he’s playing against men. Every shift is going to be important to watch. Actually am excited now for the WC….

Yep, May 12th (this Friday) is already the first game (Latvia-Canada). 8 local time, should be 1 PM ET/11 AM PT

Reactions: Leonardo87

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

The question is AHL, not college. And I expect your right that he wont, but I think it's a little harsh to say there is no reason for him to marinate any longer.

Do you think Laf and Kakko could have used more time outside the NHL? Because I could make an argument that Lafreniere was a similar level prospect going into the draft as Fantilli is.

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad