Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
But the interesting thing is that in the Athletic article linked above, all 4 scouts are quoted as preferring Carlson over Fantilli. So maybe there's not as much a consensus as you'd think?
I just looked at every legit mock draft available and they all have the Ducks taking Fantilli, for what that’s worth.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Has Fantili declared that he's turning pro ? If the team is talking about starting him in AHL and earn his way to the NHL, that might be a big factor whether he stays in college or turns pro after the draft.

Fantili has options too. He can spend another year loving campus life at UoM and turn pro after next season to burn the first year of his ELC.

If Fantili is not receptive to the Ducks' approach to begin his career in the AHL, do we then move on to Carlsson instead (or even Michkov if his contract status can be understood better) ?
It was reported he was undecided on returning for another year of college. Once he goes #2 in the draft and everyone tells him he’s NHL ready, I think he signs his entry contract.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It was reported he was undecided on returning for another year of college. Once he goes #2 in the draft and everyone tells him he’s NHL ready, I think he signs his entry contract.

Some of that was probably just waiting to see who ends up drafting him. I've already made this joke but if selected by Arizona, he may have preferred to stay at the college he chose to attend.

I think he'll be excited to join our group of talented young NHLers

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I have yet to revisit the Carlsson highlights and materials but I so, so, so much want Fantilli as a Duck, I'm going insane...

PS
A random fact that might have slipped by...

Fantilli scored a similar pace to Bedard in last year's U18 (I guess they were underaged there?) which, funnily enough, also had Hvidston on the roster. Yet, Fantilli was regarded as ''snakebitten'' in that tournament and could have scored much more points. Even with that, he contributed much more to the team than just points. Without knowing more about how Bedard was regarded in that tournament...

Bedard outscored everyone in the recent WJC and was the Chuck Norris of that tournament. But he got the most points in the group stage. He scored 3 points in 1/4 and then "only" 2 points in the last two games. Fantilli didn't score in 1/4 and scored also 2 points in the last 2 crucial games. Bedard is the better prospect, no doubt, but sometimes looking at just total numbers can be misleading. Fantilli is lauded for his play without the puck as much as he is lauded for his game with it. He's an incredible prospect, contributing to his team's success in so many ways... I have faith Pat will be making the right decision regardless, but I'm

#teamFantilli

NaivePerfectHorseshoecrab-max-1mb.gif
Keep in mind the differences between Bedard's and Fantilli's physical advantages relative to their peers at a U18 tournament.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
It's perfectly possible that I'll end up feeling dumb about this take 10 years down the road, but I just don't want Michkov over the other two even if the khl contract wasn't an issue.

I don't think we need another offensively gifted, undersized, defensively disinterested forward. We already have one, and I tend to think he's a little overrated.

I want the big two-way guy who can lock down the no. 1 C spot for 12 years.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Some of that was probably just waiting to see who ends up drafting him. I've already made this joke but if selected by Arizona, he may have preferred to stay at the college he chose to attend.

I think he'll be excited to join our group of talented young NHLers
If he wanted to go to Arizona he could have just entered the transfer portal.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The question is AHL, not college. And I expect your right that he wont, but I think it's a little harsh to say there is no reason for him to marinate any longer.

Do you think Laf and Kakko could have used more time outside the NHL? Because I could make an argument that Lafreniere was a similar level prospect going into the draft as Fantilli is.

Laf and Kakko were not going to another league, they were NHL bound. Rangers have a history of struggling to develop their young forwards, because they will go after the big free agents like Panarin who will take ice time and opportunity away from the kids. I also think the scouts got it wrong with Laf. It happens.

Not sure what you mean by being harsh. If a player has dominated his league, and is ready to go pro, what's to stop him? People thought Zegras and McTavish were not ready at the time. If throwing him in the AHL for a stint, like with Zegras then so be it. But this prospect is projected to be better than anyone we've drafted since Getzlaf, maybe even before Getz.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ducks finish last for 1st time ever and had to hear so many Ducks fans happy about it and the end result is Chicago getting 1st overall 😭

If things had went how I wanted with Ducks winning our last game of the season to avoid finishing dead last we would be drafting 1st overall (assuming no lottery rigging going on)

I am probably the most miserable Ducks fan :cry:
That is not true. Chicago beat the odds pure and simple. Finishing 3rd had nothing to do with them winning the lottery.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He mentions McKinnon mostly but also in some places mentioned Bergeron, yes. In his interviews, you can see he really prides himself as a two-way player and puts team success above himself and he understand he should (and he can) contribute in many ways.
Fantilli to me is a mix between MacKinnon-lite and Matthew Tkachuk.
Carlsson is more like Kopitar but with maybe less goal scoring.

Both project as 1C's with 90-100 point potential.

Either way the Ducks can't really lose. My slight preference is for Fantilli b/c of his skating, physicality, and ability to score goals. IMO those traits more than offset Carlsson's perceived slightly higher IQ.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Do any of you guys/gals have the link to the article where it was about LA scouts wanting Zegras over turcotte but their GM went his way against the scouting recommendation?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Fantilli to me is a mix between MacKinnon-lite and Matthew Tkachuk.
Carlsson is more like Kopitar but with maybe less goal scoring.

Both project as 1C's with 90-100 point potential.

Either way the Ducks can't really lose. My slight preference is for Fantilli b/c of his skating, physicality, and ability to score goals. IMO those traits more than offset Carlsson's perceived slightly higher IQ.
I’ll take the MacKinnon/Tkachuk hybrid over a Kopitar personally. Both have great potential though.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Nuts news coming out this morning about the death of Michkov's father:

"Obviously, getting stories confirmed when it comes from Russia, you'll understand that it's difficult," said McGuire while appearing on 98.5 Sports in Montreal. "But it seems that his father was trying to invalidate the contract. His father's wish would have been to send him to North America quickly."

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Laf and Kakko were not going to another league, they were NHL bound. Rangers have a history of struggling to develop their young forwards, because they will go after the big free agents like Panarin who will take ice time and opportunity away from the kids. I also think the scouts got it wrong with Laf. It happens.

Not sure what you mean by being harsh. If a player has dominated his league, and is ready to go pro, what's to stop him? People thought Zegras and McTavish were not ready at the time. If throwing him in the AHL for a stint, like with Zegras then so be it. But this prospect is projected to be better than anyone we've drafted since Getzlaf, maybe even before Getz.
Lets hope so!
how many takes did they have to do to get chicago at #1?
I hope you are joking lol.

Nuts news coming out this morning about the death of Michkov's father:

"Obviously, getting stories confirmed when it comes from Russia, you'll understand that it's difficult," said McGuire while appearing on 98.5 Sports in Montreal. "But it seems that his father was trying to invalidate the contract. His father's wish would have been to send him to North America quickly."
If this get even close to confirmed then there is no chance anyone drafts him top 5. He may fall out of the top 10.

Reactions: GermanRocket7

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
To get a more balanced picture, are there similar articles about Carlsson out there? Fantilli seems like "the consensus #2" according to many mock lists, but knowing there are some scouts out there that do prefer Carlsson over Fantilli it is probably prudent to get ourselves an understanding of him as well.

Otherwise we might just collectively hype ourselves up for Fantilli for seven weeks and then feel just as crushed as missing out on Bedard when Verbeek or Madden announces the Carlsson pick.
This is why I'm not getting invested until the pick is made. I don't really see the point in reading endless hype articles and watching poorly filmed highlight compilations of a player Verbeek may or may not draft.

I mean, I'm bored, just not that bored. Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad