Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Could Columbus go Michkov at #3 ? Maybe Provorov is a friend of his.
Worst case scenario: Ducks go Carlsson, Columbus goes Michkov then SJ ends up with Fantilli and that will haunt the Ducks because given our luck he turns into Mackinnon 2.0 in SJ and the Sharks instantly become a speedy team with Fantilli, Eklund and Bordeleau. Meanwhile the Ducks would have no speedy top6 forwards and be more of the same trying to slow the game down like Getzlaf era while SJ becomes a modern style NHL team.
Before this week, I'd have said zero percent change Columbus goes for anything but a center. But I no longer understand what Jarmo is doing or trust him, so who knows. I still doubt Michkov is a consideration, though, beause of the waiting time. They'll pick whoever they think is a center and NHL-ready soonest.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
While don't disagree that we have no one like Fantilli, I would argue we don't have anyone like Carlsson either.

I am glad that it seems that PV and the scouts have made up their mind. All I am hoping on is that they have strong conviction and are not flipping a a coin. I think it will be Fantilli, but won't be disappointed in either. Heck, I would even be ok if they took Michov.

We do have someone like Carlsson on the team in McTavish. Big, cerebral, goes to the net, and not so fast a skater. Except McTavish does play a bit more physical and possesses an NHL shot since age 16. Having another McTavish-like center in Carlsson would be a boon in offensive production for Anaheim.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We do have someone like Carlsson on the team in McTavish. Big, cerebral, goes to the net, and not so fast a skater. Except McTavish does play a bit more physical and possesses an NHL shot since age 16. Having another McTavish-like center in Carlsson would be a boon in offensive production for Anaheim.

Rather have fantilli something we don’t have

speed and edge along with a good offensive tool kit

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

I don’t see Mctavish as a comp to Carlsson at all. Carlsson is much more or a playmaker, while Mctavish is more of a finisher. Only thing they have in common is thru are big and not particularly fast.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Before this week, I'd have said zero percent change Columbus goes for anything but a center. But I no longer understand what Jarmo is doing or trust him, so who knows. I still doubt Michkov is a consideration, though, beause of the waiting time. They'll pick whoever they think is a center and NHL-ready soonest.
Kind of what I felt about Bob Murray. You just never know what he was going to do.....2012 he gets up there and announces Hampus Lindholm is the pick and Anaheim fans just fall over and head straight for the bar. I never heard of him as a top20 prospect let alone top 6 lol, I was like who tf is he at the time.

Now that Bob is gone we go by the type of players that Verbeek said he likes but then there is director of scouting Madden who's brilliant at finding Dmen but mixed results with Forwards and he might prefer Carlsson who knows. Madden liked Ritchie over Larkin and Tracey over Pinto/Hoglander.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Kind of what I felt about Bob Murray. You just never know what he was going to do.....2012 he gets up there and announces Hampus Lindholm is the pick and Anaheim fans just fall over and head straight for the bar. I never heard of him as a top20 prospect let alone top 6 lol, I was like who tf is he at the time.

Now that Bob is gone we go by the type of players that Verbeek said he likes but then there is director of scouting Madden who's brilliant at finding Dmen but mixed results with Forwards and he might prefer Carlsson who knows. Madden liked Ritchie over Larkin and Tracey over Pinto/Hoglander.

I actually have a hunch he didn’t. I’m an interview he mentioned that they have done well drafting when they have gone with their guy. They have only struggled with picks when they tried to pick a guy that filled a need over the BPA.

I think that was Ritchie all the way. I can 100% see Bob going over the scouts to pick the guy he saw playing a power game with Getzlaf.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

carl jung

Mar 11, 2023

For one, McTavish, isn’t quite “big”. In fact, he’s an inch shorter than the NHL average height.

I’d say McTavish is more of a boxer/bulldog type of build and Carlson is more of a great dane/ vizsla build

Secondly, they aren’t really similar players. McTavish plays a cerebral - power game to score, opposed to Carlsson does so for playmaking by utilizing his size to draw players to him which creates space for his teammates. He possesses a far more Power-Playmaking element to his game than McTavish.

Their tendencies are completely different, other than the lurking at times trying to get reads and anticipate. However, they are both cerebral players but use their heads by playing games that suite them better (Carlson- Playmaking) (McTavish - goal scoring) .

Just to reiterate, you are wrong.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t see Mctavish as a comp to Carlsson at all. Carlsson is much more or a playmaker, while Mctavish is more of a finisher. Only thing they have in common is thru are big and not particularly fast.

Then your scouting of McTavish is not that great.

Here's McTavish' WJC-18 highlights. He scored 5g and 6a in seven games.

Here's his NHL rookie season highlight last year. You can see some of the same passing skills from his WJC-18 highlight to here.

Again, so many people continue to underrate McTavish because they don't do their homework or are extremely biased.

McTavish did play against men in his D+0 season in Switzerland's NL-B.

• McTavish with Olten, NL-B (D+0 season)
    • Regular season: 13 games, 9g + 2a = 11 pts (0.85 ppg), and +4 rating
    • Playoff season: 4 games, 2g + 5a = 7 pts (1.75 ppg), and +2 rating

How does McTavish get all those assists in the playoffs? It's because he was able to do this in the NL-B that he translated that play into the WJC-18. Isn't it crazy what good research can show?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
For one, McTavish, isn’t quite “big”. In fact, he’s an inch shorter than the NHL average height.

I’d say McTavish is more of a boxer/bulldog type of build and Carlson is more of a great dane/ vizsla build

Secondly, they aren’t really similar players. McTavish plays a cerebral - power game to score, opposed to Carlsson does so for playmaking by utilizing his size to draw players to him which creates space for his teammates. He possesses a far more Power-Playmaking element to his game than McTavish.

Their tendencies are completely different, other than the lurking at times trying to get reads and anticipate. However, they are both cerebral players but use their heads by playing games that suite them better (Carlson- Playmaking) (McTavish - goal scoring) .

Just to reiterate, you are wrong.

Maybe you're jelly because McTavish can finish plays and do playmaking. See above post as proof of playmaking evidence in two videos. In his NHL rookie season, McTavish didn't want to shoot the puck and often was trying to set up his teammates more. Hence, he had more assists (26) than goals scored (17). It seems like McTavish is a two-way scoring threat and you're unwilling to acknowledge it.

As for "big" players, McTavish was listed 6'0 and 207 lbs at his draft. Carlsson is 6'3 and 194 lbs. They're big players who lumber down the ice and kinda immovable in front of the net. Are you saying that McTavish isn't big b/c I was pretty sure I didn't say they're both "tall" players.

Just to reiterate, your scouting sucks.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Then your scouting of McTavish is not that great.

Here's McTavish' WJC-18 highlights. He scored 5g and 6a in seven games.

Here's his NHL rookie season highlight last year. You can see some of the same passing skills from his WJC-18 highlight to here.

Again, so many people continue to underrate McTavish because they don't do their homework or are extremely biased.

McTavish did play against men in his D+0 season in Switzerland's NL-B.

• McTavish with Olten, NL-B (D+0 season)
    • Regular season: 13 games, 9g + 2a = 11 pts (0.85 ppg), and +4 rating
    • Playoff season: 4 games, 2g + 5a = 7 pts (1.75 ppg), and +2 rating

How does McTavish get all those assists in the playoffs? It's because he was able to do this in the NL-B that he translated that play into the WJC-18. Isn't it crazy what good research can show?

Lol yuck. What a waste of time that was.

Anyone with eyes can see that Mctavish and Carlsson don’t play similar games… and before you get all weirdly butt hurt and defensive, I’m not saying Mctavish is bad, just that they are very different. I actually think they would complement each other aka Getz (Carlsson) and a bigger/better Kunitz (Mctavish).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Fantilli will most certainly need work. He's an incredible athlete at his age when you think about it – super fast, super physical (he's pasting men against the boards already). But he needs some serious work tactically and it feels like Cronin might be a very good coach to teach him that. It feels like the brain is there for Fantilli, he is just rushing (inexperience?) and not using his teammates enough. But it feels it could be coachable and I'm happy we got Cronin for that.

I don't see how we'd go for Carlsson where he is not playing with the pace that Pat wants. Ofc Carlsson will clearly be a star player in this league regardless. But we must go Fantilli.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
McT isn't really even that big, he's just strong on his skates. His build reminds me a bit of Kunitz; not particularly big, but plays like he is.
Yep. He's not that tall at all, but he's built like this:

1686129699598.png

So he is hard to move, but he's not much of a hitter himself. He "just" battles. Sort of O'Reilly in a way. He's not huge but you will probably not push him around either.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Pronman released a couple of articles on draft eligible player upside and comparables over at The Athletic. Here are the Carlsson and Fantilli projections:

Comps:

Adam Fantilli, C, Michigan: Jonathan Toews

When thinking about Fantilli’s comp, I started with players I thought were very well-rounded. Toews first came to mind. At his peak, he was a high-end skill-and-motor type of center despite not posting monster offensive totals. I’ve also heard the Nathan MacKinnon comp from some scouts. MacKinnon is one of the best skaters I’ve ever seen, but I don’t have Fantilli’s feet quite at that level.

Leo Carlsson, C, Orebro: Tomas Hertl

All season I felt Carlsson was a likely NHL winger so I had his comp as Mikko Rantanen. I chose Rantanen due to a similar body type and because both have high-end skill and vision with just OK footspeed. It helps I can draw a line from how Rantanen looked in Finland as a draft eligible to how Carlsson looked in the SHL. Rantanen is a superstar though, so I felt that may be overshooting it. Colleague Max Bultman suggested Matt Boldy for Carlsson. I think that may be closer, although I think Carlsson has a slightly more interior game than Boldy. My preference was not to use very young players as the comps, although that wasn’t always possible if I couldn’t come up with anybody. These examples are wings, but as the season went on into the world championships, I felt convinced Carlsson could be an NHL center. A highly-skilled NHL center with size and footspeed issues could be Pierre-Luc Dubois, but I felt Hertl was the better fit.

Ceiling/Upside:

1. Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA-Russia​

All right I know I have to explain this one as you all sharpen your pitchforks. Michkov may be the best draft eligible I’ve ever seen from inside the offensive blue line, or at least in the mix. His skill plus offensive sense combination is incredible. He sees the game at a different level and is a scoring-chance machine once he gets the puck inside the opponent’s zone. The lack of speed and size are notable hindrances in his pro projection — both are worse than Connor Bedard’s and he doesn’t have Bedard’s motor — but he’s a unique player and has the potential to put up massive amounts of offense as a pro if he hits, which isn’t a sure thing.

2. Connor Bedard, C, Regina-WHL​

Narrowly trailing Michkov is the presumptive No. 1 pick in Bedard. Bedard is projected to become a top-scoring NHL forward. He has game-breaking skill and goal-scoring ability, and could potentially be a regular for 35 to 40 goals in the NHL. There is true superstar upside in his game with fewer risk variables in his skill set than someone like Michkov, due to his superior speed and compete.

3. Adam Fantilli, C, Michigan-Big Ten​

You could argue any of the top three ranked players here for best upside in the draft and I would think it’s reasonable. Fantilli, like Bedard and Michkov, has incredible skill. He may be a notch or two below both in terms of pure offensive abilities, but he’s much bigger and stronger than either and faster than Michkov. His physical toolkit is the most prototypical of the three prospects of an NHL star.

4. Leo Carlsson, C, Orebro-SHL​

When a player is a 6-foot-3 forward with game-breaking skill and offensive instincts, it’s easy to envision a path for them to become a star. Carlsson made so many unique plays with the puck this season in one of the best leagues in the world. He’s so talented, and while his skating could use some work, he has the potential to put up big scoring numbers for a long time.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad