Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I love the Pronman ranking, we will get every player I like with that. On forward it could be Fantilli (ranked 2nd), Gauthier (#35), Cristall (#68) and Lardis (#94). Gajan is at #71, Fowler at #77, Milic not ranked. So in theory we can have a lot of them. Just recognized, Detroit has also a great position in this draft.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I love the Pronman ranking, we will get every player I like with that. On forward it could be Fantilli (ranked 2nd), Gauthier (#35), Cristall (#68) and Lardis (#94). Gajan is at #71, Fowler at #77, Milic not ranked. So in theory we can have a lot of them. Just recognized, Detroit has also a great position in this draft.
Ive seen Crystal ranked around top20 and Tankathon has him #9 in their mock, him falling to #68 would be quite great for the Ducks.
I like Gauthier at #33 especially if they can get a late 1st from trading Henrique and use it on a more sniper type forward incase Perreault doesn't pan out.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The more I think about it, the more I want RW Halttunen at pick 33. He's a 6'3 power forward RW and a former top-10 projection. Halttunen was also given an "A - grade" from Central Scouting's preliminary report.

As a PF, he can play up and down the lineup. Usually, most top-6 forwards can only thrive in a top-6 position. For example, I can't see Zegras or Terry thrive in traditional bottom-6 role. Comtois and Steel look lost in a bottom-6 role. I think McTavish and Rico can play in a bottom-6 role. Players like Silf and Lundy can move up and down the line up.

One of Halttunen's biggest strength is one-timers. With that skill, Halttunen could play all three parts of the game at ES, PP2, and PK2. Maybe not PK as much since his acceleration isn't great right now.

Last year, we drafted a player who did have an "A-grade" from Central Scouting's preliminary report in D Luneau. Maybe we can strike lightning in the second round a third time in a row in 2023 with Halttunen. 2021 we drafted Zellweger. 2022 we snagged Luneau.

Reactions: lwvs84

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
The more I think about it, the more I want RW Halttunen at pick 33. He's a 6'3 power forward RW and a former top-10 projection. Halttunen was also given an "A - grade" from Central Scouting's preliminary report.

As a PF, he can play up and down the lineup. Usually, most top-6 forwards can only thrive in a top-6 position. For example, I can't see Zegras or Terry thrive in traditional bottom-6 role. Comtois and Steel look lost in a bottom-6 role. I think McTavish and Rico can play in a bottom-6 role. Players like Silf and Lundy can move up and down the line up.

One of Halttunen's biggest strength is one-timers. With that skill, Halttunen could play all three parts of the game at ES, PP2, and PK2. Maybe not PK as much since his acceleration isn't great right now.

Last year, we drafted a player who did have an "A-grade" from Central Scouting's preliminary report in D Luneau. Maybe we can strike lightning in the second round a third time in a row in 2023 with Halttunen. 2021 we drafted Zellweger. 2022 we snagged Luneau.

I'd take a swing on Halttunen. Another guy I've liked since last season is Charlie Stramel. He's struggled a bit to keep up with pace but he's an absolute monster on the ice with an intriguing skill set for a center. I think he might even be available at their second 2nd rounder.

Interestingly they are comparing him to Gaucher 2023 NHL Draft prospect profile: Charlie Stramel brings rare size down the middle

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'd take a swing on Halttunen. Another guy I've liked since last season is Charlie Stramel. He's struggled a bit to keep up with pace but he's an absolute monster on the ice with an intriguing skill set for a center. I think he might even be available at their second 2nd rounder.

Interestingly they are comparing him to Gaucher 2023 NHL Draft prospect profile: Charlie Stramel brings rare size down the middle

I'm just not enamored with Stramel compared to Halttunen. Halttunen is still 17 years old until Jun 7th. Stramel turned 18 years old on Oct 15th, that's a hockey season time difference! I don't see the high scoring history with Stramel that I do see in Halttunen. If Halttunen's offense doesn't show up, then we get a Stramel. Compare their WJC-18 productions and we see a significant difference in offensive production.

WJC-18
- Stramel (D-1): 6 games, 2g + 3a = 5 pts, and +7 rating
- Halttunen (D+0): 5 games, 6g + 4a = 10 pts, and +5 rating

I'd rather take a swing on 6'3 Danny Nelson or 6'3 Myatovic than Stramel at 33rd. We're missing potential top-6 scorers and I don't get that pattern for Stramel.

Reactions: Beckett

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Curious what others thoughts are on how far Anaheim could venture back into the first round with a combination or all of picks 33, 59 & 60?

33 + 59 could probably get us in the 20-25 range with some teams, but I just don't see the Ducks doing that unless someone drops that they had really, really high on their draft board.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Curious what others thoughts are on how far Anaheim could venture back into the first round with a combination or all of picks 33, 59 & 60?

Depends on if the scouting staff see potential there.

I’m not sure if I’m sold on the ‘deep draft’ talk. Strong top 4, good top 10, but after that is interchangeable

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
33 + 59 could probably get us in the 20-25 range with some teams, but I just don't see the Ducks doing that unless someone drops that they had really, really high on their draft board.
Value models vary but I found this one to be interesting. Based on this model, 33+59 would allow the Ducks to move up to the 27-29 range. Other models will show variances from this but I don't think the combination gets the Ducks any higher than 25 at best.

Reactions: AngelDuck

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I wonder if Michkov being present at the draft to talk in person with teams moves the needle for the teams picking 2-4.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Value models vary but I found this one to be interesting. Based on this model, 33+59 would allow the Ducks to move up to the 27-29 range. Other models will show variances from this but I don't think the combination gets the Ducks any higher than 25 at best.

I wonder if there is a creative way of getting the penguins 14th pick(or Buffalo/Calgary)

I imagine they are going to go all in and attempt to build 1 last contender before Crosby and malkin sail off into the sunset.

I imagine any of gibson, Henrique, comtois would be of interest to them , we have plenty of picks/b prospects to help facilitate trade. And we can weaponize cap space to help value in our side.

Oct 18, 2011
It would literally have to be for someone that has a first round grade left on their board to be worth it

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It would if he defects and applies for asylum in the US.
Defecting doesn't really help him so long as the NHL keeps respecting KHL contracts. They unilaterally suspended the MOU after the invasion but both leagues are respecting each others' club contracts, for the moment anyway, as far as I can see.

That would have to change or Michkov would have to find a way to void his KHL contract in absentia (assuming he claims asylum status while in the US -- he could present as a refugee at the US embassy in Moscow but I don't know how smart it would be to do that and null the contract from within Russia). Maybe the team who drafts him could pay to void it, but I'm sure the KHL ask would be pretty extortionate. All possible, but there are a lot of barriers there.

I'm sure he's been interviewed and asked a million questions by the teams who could draft him. Pretty intriguing.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Defecting doesn't really help him so long as the NHL keeps respecting KHL contracts. They unilaterally suspended the MOU after the invasion but both leagues are respecting each others' club contracts, for the moment anyway, as far as I can see.

That would have to change or Michkov would have to find a way to void his KHL contract in absentia (assuming he claims asylum status while in the US -- he could present as a refugee at the US embassy in Moscow but I don't know how smart it would be to do that and null the contract from within Russia). Maybe the team who drafts him could pay to void it, but I'm sure the KHL ask would be pretty extortionate. All possible, but there are a lot of barriers there.

I'm sure he's been interviewed and asked a million questions by the teams who could draft him. Pretty intriguing.

Cant buy him out of that contract because of sanctions.
The only way he ends up in NA right now is if he blyats his way out of Russia on his own accord and has no intentions to return for a few years.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Cant buy him out of that contract because of sanctions.
The only way he ends up in NA right now is if he blyats his way out of Russia on his own accord and has no intentions to return for a few years.
I'll take your word that payments to KHL clubs would be barred by sanction but even so, simply leaving and not returning doesn't help him play in the NHL so long as the league is respecting the KHL contract.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Some team will draft him and hope he can come over after his khl contract. He’ll only be 21.

It is not worth it for the nhl to stop honoring khl contracts just for one player. I’m sure the khl wants to hold onto players as long as they can, but at the same time offer a pathway to the nhl.

The only risk is the state of affairs of Russia in the future. I don’t think anyone can predict what Russia will look like in 2026.

John

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Sure. I'm just saying I hope it isn't us. If people find my updates tedious or overly fixated, tomd style, I can stop.
I highly doubt that PV risks it all on Michkov.

The more I think about Fantilli, the more he seems like the unicorn of this draft. If he does develop into a highly physical, fast, and highly skilled nhl player, he will be unique.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad