Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
1. Agree on Silfverberg at this stage of his career but, saying Vatrano would AT BEST be a 4th liner on a good team is asinine. He was a third liner playing for a good Florida for years and also on Conference Finalist Rangers team just prior to signing with us.

2. That's fair, but you're shifting conversation to roster construction philosophy rather than the idea that there's some other level Lundestrom can't attain solely because of his linemates.

I don't disagree that he could put up better numbers if he's used in a different role with linemates that are more offensively gifted, but I don't think there would be some new level unleashed in his game solely because of it. Furthermore, I don't think that's the way he should be used on this team with the likes of Zegras, McTavish, and potentially Fantili or Carlson ahead of him on the depth chart at center.

I do wonder if Lundy was playing hurt all season. Eakins did say that Lundy got injured in pre-season or something like that and Eakins was hoping that Lundy would get back into form. Lundy didn't play the same as his usual self all last season consistently. Last year was his worst possession stat production.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I do wonder if Lundy was playing hurt all season. Eakins did say that Lundy got injured in pre-season or something like that and Eakins was hoping that Lundy would get back into form. Lundy didn't play the same as his usual self all last season consistently. Last year was his worst possession stat production.
He definitely struggled and no doubt due in part to injury, but I fully expect him to bounce back next season.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah , you can’t let an entire fan base be judged because of a few bad apples. Every fan base has them. But I’ll be the first to admit, Rangers fans are crazy. Some folks already want Laviolette fired and he has not even been hired yet. Lol.
In fairness, I was the same way when the Ducks rehired Carlyle. But I think that was probably more justified.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'll be honest, the roster has been more of a concern for me than the coaching. You can bring in friggin Jon Cooper and they still would be pretty bad.

BTW, talking about the Ducks, lol.
I think the concern with coaching is how long are you going to let your young players settle in with bad habits, tendencies, and approach that naturally stems from playing completely defective systems?

I don't think anyone rational thought this year's Ducks were a playoff threat but the year doesn't have to be a waste if it's spent getting the team experience playing the systems and strategies that win hockey games. By mid-season it was clear that wasn't happening under Eakins. By the last quarter of the year it was like, getting a top pick in this stacked draft outweighs the net negative impact Eakins was having so might as well let him keep being the tank commander.

Assuming Verbeek isn't a total dud, the roster improvements will gradually come in. Replacing Eakins was a priority.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
They could always turn Lundestrom into a LW & use him like Cogs.
Imagine PK unit 1 having LW Lundestrom + C Fantilli as the forwards.
That would be such a dangerous PK unit that creates short handed scoring chances with their speed.
This is another option if he’s willing to not play his natural position down the line.

They could always turn Lundestrom into a LW & use him like Cogs.
Imagine PK unit 1 having LW Lundestrom + C Fantilli as the forwards.
That would be such a dangerous PK unit that creates short handed scoring chances with their speed.
Like that!

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
1. Agree on Silfverberg at this stage of his career but, saying Vatrano would AT BEST be a 4th liner on a good team is asinine. He was a third liner playing for a good Florida for years and also on Conference Finalist Rangers team just prior to signing with us.

2. That's fair, but you're shifting conversation to roster construction philosophy rather than the idea that there's some other level Lundestrom can't attain solely because of his linemates.

I don't disagree that he could put up better numbers if he's used in a different role with linemates that are more offensively gifted, but I don't think there would be some new level unleashed in his game solely because of it. Furthermore, I don't think that's the way he should be used on this team with the likes of Zegras, McTavish, and potentially Fantili or Carlson ahead of him on the depth chart at center.

Your original statement: "His linemates and matchups are what they are because he's being used appropriately."

My point - he's not being used appropriately based on the lineups he's in and the matchups given. Silf has been stapled to him most of the time which is brutal. He was often joined by other plugs like Vatrano Leeson, Comtois, Megna and Jones.

Vatrano is probably the best player he's regularly played with. The other guys - going back several years - have been subpar. And you're making my point. Vatrano himself is a flawed one dimensional player - not a good defensive player and doesn't generate his own offense/possession.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't really understand this common line of thinking around here. It's not as if Lundestrom has consistently outshined his linemates, especially after last season where Vatrano was his most common linemate behind Silfverberg (Leason was 7th, just behind Nesterenko).

He's had one great year, but I think people tend to get carried away and think that's going to be the norm - much like when Comtois went off.

He'll be (and is) a solid 3C, but anyone expecting more than that is likely to be disappointed.
I think he’s a perfectly fine 3C, and this team is short on actual NHL forwards. We have a cost-controlled one, no more low end mystery boxes please.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he’s a perfectly fine 3C, and this team is short on actual NHL forwards. We have a cost-controlled one, no more low end mystery boxes please.

Like to see Lundy get a season under a better system and some depth players around him. If he can be a 30-40 point player while playing his two-way shutdown game, will be a win. I think a 3C is critical, when it comes to contending. If that will be Gaucher in the future, so be it. If both pan out well, it’s a good problem to have.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Like to see Lundy get a season under a better system and some depth players around him. If he can be a 30-40 point player while playing his two-way shutdown game, will be a win. I think a 3C is critical, when it comes to contending. If that will be Gaucher in the future, so be it. If both pan out well, it’s a good problem to have.
Agreed. I don’t think we see Gaucher as a regular before 2025 though.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So had to ask, what is the percentage chance for a 2nd round draft pick to make the NHL full time. Not just a season but a full career?

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
So had to ask, what is the percentage chance for a 2nd round draft pick to make the NHL full time. Not just a season but a full career?
what're we considering a full career, If I'm being generous and saying 500 games according to Quant Hockey 242 of the 1000 2nd round picks played at least 500 games so 24.2%

If you go for like at least 10 full seasons in the NHL (820gp) you're down to 95 of the 1000 or 9.5%

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
what're we considering a full career, If I'm being generous and saying 500 games according to Quant Hockey 242 of the 1000 2nd round picks played at least 500 games so 24.2%

If you go for like at least 10 full seasons in the NHL (820gp) you're down to 95 of the 1000 or 9.5%

In a much deeper draft, wonder if those odds improve. 2nd round picks may be more like late 1st rounders. Looking for the Aho and Robertsons. Having three picks in that round in a deep draft may increase our odds significantly to land a very good one. We can only hope.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
In a much deeper draft, wonder if those odds improve. 2nd round picks may be more like late 1st rounders. Looking for the Aho and Robertsons. Having three picks in that round in a deep draft may increase our odds significantly to land a very good one. We can only hope.
From what I've read, it seems this draft is more top heavy than deep. Once you get to the second round, the talent level looks pretty comparable to other years.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
From what I've read, it seems this draft is more top heavy than deep. Once you get to the second round, the talent level looks pretty comparable to other years.

Still, having 5 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds combined can certainly help with those odds.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Ducks

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think the concern with coaching is how long are you going to let your young players settle in with bad habits, tendencies, and approach that naturally stems from playing completely defective systems?

I don't think anyone rational thought this year's Ducks were a playoff threat but the year doesn't have to be a waste if it's spent getting the team experience playing the systems and strategies that win hockey games. By mid-season it was clear that wasn't happening under Eakins. By the last quarter of the year it was like, getting a top pick in this stacked draft outweighs the net negative impact Eakins was having so might as well let him keep being the tank commander.

Assuming Verbeek isn't a total dud, the roster improvements will gradually come in. Replacing Eakins was a priority.

2022-23​
Ducks​
Games​
W​
L​
OTL​
Pts​
Pts Pct​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Total​
82​
23​
47​
12​
58​
35.4%​
209​
338​
-129​
1 to 25​
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
30.0%​
63​
105​
-42​
26 to 49​
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
41.7%​
60​
99​
-39​
50 to 62​
13​
5​
5​
3​
13​
50.0%​
35​
51​
-16​
63 to 82​
20​
3​
13​
4​
10​
25.0%​
51​
83​
-32​

The team seemed to improve as the season went. Then the TDL had the bottom drop out. Klingberg and Kulikov's talents were sorely missed along with Rico being out.

I'm indifferent if Eakins stayed, but the team was improving throughout the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad