Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
The way I look at it its the difference between a top 3 player in the league or a top 10 player. Sure one is better but you aren't really going to complain that the player you got is only in the top 10.

Reactions: Static

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I don't think there were many fans that were hoping Corey Perry would one day win a Lady Byng.

I have always hated playing against Tkachuk for the same reasons all of the other fan bases hated Perry.

It would be nice to have a highly skilled player that other teams hate to play against. Maybe we can find an identity and get a little respect back.

John

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If they both live up to expectations I don't think the difference, between what they bring, will be nearly as important as the quality of the team around them. Sure I'd take Bedard today, but a Ducks team that could win a cup with Bedard could win the same cup with Fantilli, IMO.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Bedard couldn’t drag his junior team to a memorial cup, Gretzky couldn’t get the Kings a cup, McDavid/ Drai have still yet to get the oilers a cup. The more important thing is clearly to build a full roster, we’d obviously be better with Bedard, but I think we could build the same team around Fantilli and have just about as good of a chance at a cup.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
For all the talk about how legendary Toews was at the intangibles, he never had more than 80 points in a season and he was only above 70 points twice. I'd say Fantilli has a higher absolute ceiling.
Scoring was also way lower during Toews' prime years though. A 70-80 point season 10-15 years ago is a lot different than today.

In most of the 2010s there were multiple years with like one guy barely over 100 points and the other top guys were in the 80s. Last season there were 20 guys with 90+ points.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If they both live up to expectations I don't think the difference, between what they bring, will be nearly as important as the quality of the team around them. Sure I'd take Bedard today, but a Ducks team that could win a cup with Bedard could win the same cup with Fantilli, IMO.
In a way, it might be easier to win with Fantilli. Hopefully Bedard demands more money, if they end up getting their long term contracts the same year, hopefully a $3-4 mil difference would be a solid bottom 6 player.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
For all the talk about how legendary Toews was at the intangibles, he never had more than 80 points in a season and he was only above 70 points twice. I'd say Fantilli has a higher absolute ceiling.
100%, was annoying when people would habitually put him in front of Getzlaf back in the day. There was a certain pass that Toews' offensive shortcomings received for a reason that i don't understand.

Reactions: Yemeth

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
100%, was annoying when people would habitually put him in front of Getzlaf back in the day. There was a certain pass that Toews' offensive shortcomings received for a reason that i don't understand.
Leadership - as in, leading everyone to believe he was a good captain while vouching for Beach's abuser and those who let it happen.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Multitasking between work and the Canada game (I only look at my stream when I hear Fantilli's name). Fantilli hasn't played much. Seems Canada's coach is heavily leaning on the Glass and Blais lines. Fantilli's first shift he had a nice check along the boards but the shift was pretty short. There was a shift where he had a nice puck reception in the neutral zone followed by a really strong rush into the offensive zone where he dropped it back to a linemate which led to a solid shot from the point. His puck handling was really strong relative to some of his teammates as is his speed. His line hasn't had much chemistry yet.

Might switch to Carlsson for the second period. I'm mostly working so I might miss some things but Fantilli doesn't look out of place out there at all.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Scoring was also way lower during Toews' prime years though. A 70-80 point season 10-15 years ago is a lot different than today.

In most of the 2010s there were multiple years with like one guy barely over 100 points and the other top guys were in the 80s. Last season there were 20 guys with 90+ points.
Fair.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Here is another 64k dollar question for you guys. You think there is any chance a player like Fantilli/Carlsson ends up being a better all around player than Bedard.

Sure Bedard can put up his potential 100+ points but if Fantilli is putting up only 80-90 but playing a two way game defending going against top competition and can be like Bergeron level. Doesn’t that fit our needs more? Since we already have flashy players in Zegras and Terry.

Getzlaf shared that he would rather have an offensive superstar who was five years into the league than a rookie superstar because that five-year vet superstar has learned to become a 200 ft player.

There's just a huge offensive gap between Bedard and Fantilli/Carlsson. That offensive gap isn't as huge with Michkov, but still a big gap.

Fantilli/Carlsson will make Zegras more effective. Bedard with McTavish will make Terry more effective b/c Terry will be paired with Zegras than continuing to pound a square peg into a round hole with Terry on McTavish's wings. Plus, there's chemistry already established with McTavish-Bedard. McTavish-Bedard have won Gold in tournaments they've participated in. I would take McTavish-Bedard all day, everyday over whatever combo of Fantilli/Carlsson/Michkov to our forward group.

I can't rationalize putting Fantilli/Carlsson/Michkov over Bedard at all. The only cope I have is that we've won our own type of lottery in Terry becoming a scoring star, Zegras looks like a superstar, and McTavish could be our 1C star where as other lottery teams are, in a song title by Candlebox, "Far Behind." Getting Fantilli will just add to our collection of non-1st overall pick talents.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
In the 2nd period, Carlsson was able to join a scramble rush, received the puck on the offensive blue line, weaved to the left to try to get a shot off, but it was redirected by a defenseman's stick. Carlsson went after the loose puck and got held up to draw a penalty. I don't think he was on the PP.

After looking up who's what number, Carlsson is on a line of Lucas Raymond-Carlsson-Silfy.

Just in this period, there have been three penalties drawn: two for Germany and one for Sweden. It kinda disrupts the flow of the game and don't get to see Carlsson on the ice. Plus side is that Silf does play on the PP and PK. Silf is looking good on the ice in all three facets of the game.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Raymond-Carlsson are the pair that stays together and rotating RW, it seems. Carlsson is always found around the net either trying to win the puck behind the net, planting himself in front of the net, or driving to the net after a give and go. When he did park himself in front of the net, he attracted two defenders and left Raymond 1v1 on the other side of the net with a couple of scoring chances.

A solid game for Carlsson so far. If I wasn't paying attention to him, a lot of his subtleties wouldn't be recognized.

Late in the 2nd period, the physicality picked up, but Carlsson wasn't on the ice for a couple of shifts when both teams were throwing heavy checks.

edit: crap. didn't notice there was a thread specifically for the WC's.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Raymond-Carlsson are the pair that stays together and rotating RW, it seems. Carlsson is always found around the net either trying to win the puck behind the net, planting himself in front of the net, or driving to the net after a give and go. When he did park himself in front of the net, he attracted two defenders and left Raymond 1v1 on the other side of the net with a couple of scoring chances.

A solid game for Carlsson so far. If I wasn't paying attention to him, a lot of his subtleties wouldn't be recognized.

Late in the 2nd period, the physicality picked up, but Carlsson wasn't on the ice for a couple of shifts when both teams were throwing heavy checks.

edit: crap. didn't notice there was a thread specifically for the WC's.
Me neither but it should be fine.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Here is another 64k dollar question for you guys. You think there is any chance a player like Fantilli/Carlsson ends up being a better all around player than Bedard.

Sure Bedard can put up his potential 100+ points but if Fantilli is putting up only 80-90 but playing a two way game defending going against top competition and can be like Bergeron level. Doesn’t that fit our needs more? Since we already have flashy players in Zegras and Terry.

I don’t watch junior, and can only rely on my ‘limited’ viewings of Bedard.

Yes, it would’ve been great to land Bedard, but I think having a shot at Fantilli or Carlsson with our ‘direction’ makes more sense more us.

Bedard will definitely drag the Blackhawks up from mediocrity. I believe TSN 1050 (Overdrive?) was interviewing Chris Johnston and he already had said something that there’s significant interest from players that want to play with Bedard.

I swear I said Nik Backstrom was a strong compable for Carlsson and I was mocked for it lol. :help:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There’s no real getting around that Toews was probably overrated a bit as a player due to how good the Blackhawks were, but its also worth mentioning that when these guys make the Toews comparison it’s probably to the player they think he was. So when they say Toews I don’t think they mean in the sense he won’t be a force offensively.

Reactions: Static

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There’s no real getting around that Toews was probably overrated a bit as a player due to how good the Blackhawks were, but its also worth mentioning that when these guys make the Toews comparison it’s probably to the player they think he was. So when they say Toews I don’t think they mean in the sense he won’t be a force offensively.
More than fair.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Yes, it would’ve been great to land Bedard, but I think having a shot at Fantilli or Carlsson with our ‘direction’ makes more sense more us.

Bedard will definitely drag the Blackhawks up from mediocrity. I believe TSN 1050 (Overdrive?) was interviewing Chris Johnston and he already had said something that there’s significant interest from players that want to play with Bedard.

I swear I said Nik Backstrom was a strong compable for Carlsson and I was mocked for it lol. :help:
I have no idea why. Lots of people have made that comparison.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

I've seen some people compare him to Kopitar and Malkin and say that it's a much better comparison than to Backstrom - "He's nothing like Backstrom". I mean i guess if you are going of height maybe, but he plays a lot like Backstrom. and honestly Kopi/Malkin and Backstrom are fairly similar players. the one who diverges a bit from those 3 is Getzy because there was genuinely profound physical aspect to his game.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I've seen some people compare him to Kopitar and Malkin and say that it's a much better comparison than to Backstrom - "He's nothing like Backstrom". I mean i guess if you are going of height maybe, but he plays a lot like Backstrom. and honestly Kopi/Malkin and Backstrom are fairly similar players. the one who diverges a bit from those 3 is Getzy because there was genuinely profound physical aspect to his game.
And Getzlaf had a powerful shot, Carlsson does not.

Reactions: Mr Rogers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad