Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
10 days till U18's in Switzerland. Will be interesting to see who rises/falls... probably end up with a few players from this tourney

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I like his potential as much as anyone after the top 4, but I don't see him as a guy Verbeek would value as much as a guy like Benson.

Imagine Verbeek at the 2019 draft passing up center Zegras for bigger wingers like Podkolzin or Boldy. I dunno if either Pod or Boldy can carry the offense in this rebuild like Z is doing.

Welp, I guess I can imagine Verbeek passing up higher end scoring talent for safer NHL projections since Verbeek drafted Gaucher over Snuggerud and Kulich.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Imagine Verbeek at the 2019 draft passing up center Zegras for bigger wingers like Podkolzin or Boldy. I dunno if either Pod or Boldy can carry the offense in this rebuild like Z is doing.

Welp, I guess I can imagine Verbeek passing up higher end scoring talent for safer NHL projections since Verbeek drafted Gaucher over Snuggerud and Kulich.

Benson is 5'10 159 lbs

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Benson plays at a very high pace at all times, definitely plays bigger than he is. Smith has a very questionable motor and really never uses his size.

That being said I'd take Smith and hope you can get him more engaged 200ft. The potential is just too much to pass there

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'd be fine with smith or cristall. both have lots of potential

but if verbeek's #1 priority is size and the ducks are picking at 6, would he really pass up one of those two to instead take someone like sale or dvorsky? that's a pretty big drop off talent wise and i can't see verbeek doing that, no matter how much he wants to draft someone "bigger"

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
i'd be fine with smith or cristall. both have lots of potential

but if verbeek's #1 priority is size and the ducks are picking at 6, would he really pass up one of those two to instead take someone like sale or dvorsky? that's a pretty big drop off talent wise and i can't see verbeek doing that, no matter how much he wants to draft someone "bigger"
Why do you guys assume we would pick 6th?

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
We have an accumulative 1st overall lottery win percentage of 83.1% over the years since 1995. Add in our likely 3rd last placing this year and we are sitting at 94.6%.

Statistically a team should win first overall once every 100% lottery odds accumulation. Win it before 100% and you are luckier than the average team. Win it with over 100% and you are unluckier. This tells us that if we win it this year then we are statistically luckier than the average team at winning 1st overall.

Obviously this doesn't happen perfectly but gives an idea that we are getting close to the time where our number should be called statistically unless we are truly unlucky.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
because this team never moves up in the lottery. only drops

Actually, under Burkie, we moved up in the lottery to #2 in the Crosby draft. Four teams had three ping pong balls, which included Pitt. Anaheim was in a large group that had two ping pong balls in the lottery.

The multi-draw lottery didn't begin until 2016, which was three lottery draws.

During the Murray years, afaik, we dropped one in 2019, 2020, and 2021. In 2019, the Blackhawks jumped from 12th to 3rd overall and affected our pre-lottery 8th slot to 9th. The Blackhawks were the third draw.

In 2021, the lottery changed from three lottery draws to two lottery draws. This happened because the Red Wings had the worst record and they dropped all the way to 4th overall.

In 2022, there were two more rule changes:
- 1. Teams can only move up 10 spots. (The 2019 Blackhawks could not jump over us.)
- 2. Teams cannot win more than two lotteries in a five-year period, starting in 2022. (NYR Won the lottery in consecutive seasons of 2019 and 2020. This should prevent them winning another one in a five-year period.)

I think that period should be extended to seven years. NJ Devils won the lottery within a six-year period:
- 2017, moved from 5th to 1st
- 2019, moved from 3rd to 1st
- 2022, moved from 5th to 2nd

Verbeek came along for the 2022 draft and it was the first year we didn't move down. We just stayed at 10. The new rules of 2021 and 2022 helped to reduce the chances of being jumped.

There is a losing oddity since the inception of the multi-draw draft: the team with the second worst record has never retained the 2nd pick nor moved up. That's seven consecutive years!

Maybe... just maybe... this year could be the year Lady Luck shines upon us!

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Said it before but I think it's about time to use a 2nd/3rd on a high upside goalie again with Clang/Alexander getting to the pro level. Who do you guys like?

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Said it before but I think it's about time to use a 2nd/3rd on a high upside goalie again with Clang/Alexander getting to the pro level. Who do you guys like?
Suchanek & Milic both went undrafted last year but have had great years both on their junior teams and at the World Juniors, I'd definitely grab either one of them with a 3rd round pick if they're still available

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014

Just because of the name:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad