Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Here's a couple of recent mock drafts from the top mock draft sites, MyNHLdraft and Tankathon.

Mock Draft, MyNHLdraft (Mar 27, 2023).png

Mock Draft, Tankathon (Mar 20, 2023).png

I would be okay with that result.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Just did a sim and Washington got #1 and Canadiens #2 :laugh:

PS
Now did the lotto 10 times and 2 times got #1 and 2 times #2 which is twice our odds. Now if we don't luck out in the top 2 it might be because of me using our luck in these pointless simulations :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: robbieboy3686

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I’ll keep my opinions open if someone can persuade me, but I’ll still hold my line of thought:

We need a top-4 pick, anything not of the Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, or Carlsson tier is disappointing to me. The talent quality seems to drop off dramatically after them
I have a similar train of thought but I think Smith and Benson are fantastic talents, it's just I'm worried that their lack of size is not enough to move the needle when added to our roster.

I'd still gladly take them and see how things play out tho.

Reactions: Beckett

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’ll keep my opinions open if someone can persuade me, but I’ll still hold my line of thought:

We need a top-4 pick, anything not of the Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, or Carlsson tier is disappointing to me. The talent quality seems to drop off dramatically after them
Assuming we take michkov in top 4…. If we end up 4th and michkov is there and we don’t want to draft him I’d be interested in trading down (6-10 range) for extra assets, I got to imagine a team that wants michkov will pay up, as he is close to bedard level talent.

Obviously I’d rather just take michkov, but I think that depends on management/owners

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Assuming we take michkov in top 4…. If we end up 4th and michkov is there and we don’t want to draft him I’d be interested in trading down (6-10 range) for extra assets, I got to imagine a team that wants michkov will pay up, as he is close to bedard level talent.

Obviously I’d rather just take michkov, but I think that depends on management/owners

I wouldn't count on it. Teams dont trade down in the top 5 ever.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I could have sworn I've shared the comps before that included Leo Carlsson, Will Smith, and Zach Benson. I"m too lazy to hunt for it and I made an excel so it's easier to find.

DraftComp2022vs2023
SeasonDraft YearDraftedPlayerTeamGamesGAPtsPPGPlus/Minus
D+020223rd OACooleyUSHL241323361.5019
USDP512748751.4738
D+02023n/aSmithUSHL171226382.2419
USDP4939611002.0457
D+020224th OAWrightKingston633262941.4923
D+02023n/aBensonWinnipeg603662981.6368

LW Slaf went 1st overall (OA) because the Habs gambled on his production at the Olympics, where he had 7 goals in seven games. Slaf's Liiga numbers were okay, but not great as he produced 10 points in 31 Liiga games.

D Nemec went 2nd overall.
================

Will Smith is being underrated because of the top-4 being an extra tier higher. Put Smith in the 2022 draft and he might be 1st overall.

Benson produced better than Wright in their draft year. He's a waterbug that needs to put on more mass.

================

Because we passed up on potential top-6 forwards (Snuggerud and Kulich) for a sure-fire NHL 3C in last year's draft and the fact Tracey & Perreault have struggled this past season, any of the top-6 forwards in this 2023 class will automatically be our best forward prospect as well as could be our best overall prospect. We hit jackpot in the 2019 and 2021 draft with C Zegras and C McTavish as they're both in the NHL with very bright futures. We hit a late jackpot with Terry and his high scoring has been consistent for the past two seasons. Anaheim is adding icing on the ice cream with this potential top-6 pick.

What will determine how fast the Ducks turn the ship around is dependent on our blueline prospects. Thank goodness we have a lot of darts already collected and are waiting to be thrown at the NHL board.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I'd assume Michkov probably drops a bit to like 8+. Insanely good draft value that would equal the risk he never comes to NA.
No chance he makes it that far. I would be shocked if he makes it past 4. No way Chicago or SJ pass on him. I guess there is a chance if Columbus and Anaheim select 3 and 4 since they may have less interest being further along in the rebuild. Even if that happens though, no way he makes it to 8 or further.

I think there is a strong argument that both Smith and Benson would have gone 1/2 in the past 2 drafts.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wouldn't count on it. Teams dont trade down in the top 5 ever.
Well I wouldn’t say I’m counting on it, but I feel like if you can stay in top 10 and add an asset or 2, might be worth considering

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Capitals would want Michkov badly imo.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
New ranking from Button

Button loved Sale at the last U-18 and he did look spectacular in that tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if many teams had him ranked as high as 4 or 5. I'd have him equal to Smith at 5 and ahead of Benson.

Reactions: Masch78

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Button loved Sale at the last U-18 and he did look spectacular in that tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if many teams had him ranked as high as 4 or 5. I'd have him equal to Smith at 5 and ahead of Benson.

Sale reminds me a lot of Slaf. Both didn't explode in their respective men's league, but it's their international play (playing against is age peers instead of men) is what is garner them a lot of attention. You're banking on their future development as they become men in a few years.

I still like Smith over Sale b/c Smith reminds me of a non-flashy Zegras.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Sale reminds me a lot of Slaf. Both didn't explode in their respective men's league, but it's their international play (playing against is age peers instead of men) is what is garner them a lot of attention. You're banking on their future development as they become men in a few years.

I still like Smith over Sale b/c Smith reminds me of a non-flashy Zegras.
Fair enough. I don't think a team can go wrong with either one. Very hard to compare players when one is playing against boys and the other is playing against men. Just as long as PV doesn't draft another obvious 4th liner I'll be happy.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fair enough. I don't think a team can go wrong with either one. Very hard to compare players when one is playing against boys and the other is playing against men. Just as long as PV doesn't draft another obvious 4th liner I'll be happy.
Unless we go way off the board with a pick, I imagine we’ll end up getting a top 6 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad