Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah I’m not as concerned with the Forward group we already have Zegras, McTavish, Terry, and Lundy here, then add hopefully a Top 5 pick to this draft, maybe bring in some prospects from SD that can make the NHL. Have some vet support and can have a solid Top 6.

Our defense is the biggest issue now, and like you said, gotta be patient, but the future looks very good.

Earlier in the Gulls season, both Tracey and Perreault were helping leading the way with scoring. Then everything stalled for the them and the whole team. Maybe it coincides with them getting injured. But this year's Gulls roster isn't as good as last year's Gulls' roster.

Gotta feel bad for our prospects in the AHL for the past two to three seasons b/c they've gone through three different coaches and three different systems as well as two different GM's. I hope McIlvane succeeds next year as potentially the new head coach. We need stability in the AHL for our future prospects.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Yeah I’m not as concerned with the Forward group we already have Zegras, McTavish, Terry, and Lundy here, then add hopefully a Top 5 pick to this draft, maybe bring in some prospects from SD that can make the NHL. Have some vet support and can have a solid Top 6.

I’m still concerned with the lack of ‘depth’ there is on this team.

The optimist in me wants Verbeek to stay the course and hoard all of his picks to draft anyone and everyone he wants. Trading them away to move up is completely silly to me. This team is hurting everywhere.

It also would help if they start putting and switching Lundestrom in a top-6 role and McTavish taking more of a defensive responsibility. They are killing Isacs offensive potential

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

The optimist in me wants Verbeek to stay the course and hoard all of his picks to draft anyone and everyone he wants. Trading them away to move up is completely silly to me. This team is hurting everywhere.

It also would help if they start putting and switching Lundestrom in a top-6 role and McTavish taking more of a defensive responsibility. They are killing Isacs offensive potential

I hear where you are coming from, and I see that potential in Lundy. But I actually like the idea of Lundy being our 3C, he plays a good two way game. Has struggled this season but think the injury set him back from missing time. If he is producing 30-35 points and shutting down opposition then he is good. Maybe can get him some more PP time and can add like 10 points or so to those totals.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I would disagree with that. McTavish hit that rookie wall a while back and doesn't possess the speed that Lundy has to be in a strictly defensive role. Lundy's endurance is probably also far better than McTavish.

I don't understand the thought of Lundy being in a top-6 role when we don't have the center depth for our top-9. In the future, if Gaucher can maintain 3C, then I don't mind moving Lundy into a top-6 winger role. Lundy's scoring rate is actually similar to last year's breakout, and that was as a 3C.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
For those who spend time on all the scouting reports, I'm wondering if any highly regarded scouts or services have rated this year's top 10 against last years draft. IOW, where would this year's top guys go if they were in last year's draft but based on their current year's talent evaluation. I know people here have their opinions, I'm curious if anybody well known has made the comparison.

I also realize this year's top 4 would go top 4. It's really the guys after that that I'm more curious about. Any links would be awesome.

Thanks.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
For those who spend time on all the scouting reports, I'm wondering if any highly regarded scouts or services have rated this year's top 10 against last years draft. IOW, where would this year's top guys go if they were in last year's draft but based on their current year's talent evaluation. I know people here have their opinions, I'm curious if anybody well known has made the comparison.

I also realize this year's top 4 would go top 4. It's really the guys after that that I'm more curious about. Any links would be awesome.

Thanks.
Don't know of any straight up comparisons but you might hear prospects being compares head to head betwewn last year and this. The Athletic's prospect series podcast on spotify for one.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Thanks.

We might have to wait until after the draft to get a top-100 prospect list to gauge #5/6 (Benson/Smith... going by alphabetical order, not who I think should go first).

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020

Thanks.
If I personally ranked them it would probably be something like

Bedard
Fantilli/Michkov
Fantilli/Michkov
Carlsson/Slafkovsky
Carlsson/Slafkovsky
Smith
Cooley
Jiricek
Wright
Nemec
Benson

I kinda feel like putting Benson that low could look not so good in a few years but I don’t really think he is much, if at all, less valuable than Wright, I just put Wright ahead for his pedigree frankly.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
If I personally ranked them it would probably be something like

Bedard
Fantilli/Michkov
Fantilli/Michkov
Carlsson/Slafkovsky
Carlsson/Slafkovsky
Smith
Cooley
Jiricek
Wright
Nemec
Benson

I kinda feel like putting Benson that low could look not so good in a few years but I don’t really think he is much, if at all, less valuable than Wright, I just put Wright ahead for his pedigree frankly.

I'd say that's about right for me too but I'd have Jiricek in the tier after Fantilli/Michkov/Carlsson who I'd have about even.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
That’s post draft bias. No way Jiricek was in the same tier as or ahead of Cooley in their draft year.

That's what Dr Johnny Fever asked about though.

Thanks.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ya in that case…

In no order within the tiers:

Bedard
——
Fantilli
Michkov
——-
Carlsson
Slaf
Smith
Cooley
Wright
——
Jiricek
Nemec
Benson

Basing this off of each prospect's draft year...

Slaf vs Carlsson

Slaf went first overall. In the Liiga, he produced 10 points in 31 regular season games as well as 7 pts in 18 playoff games. In the U20s, he 18 pts in 11 games. Although, he did produce 7 pts (all goals) in seven Olympic games... then again, that's a very small sample and varies greatly from his Liiga play.​
Carlsson has produced 25 points in 44 games in the SHL. He also had 6 pts in 7 WJC-20 games, third in team scoring and the only undrafted prospect in Sweden's top-10 scorers.​

This production comparison would put Carlsson ahead of Slaf, most likely a tier ahead. Last year's draft didn't have a consensus on who would go first overall. This year's draft, there is a consensus tier and it would push Carlsson into a higher tier.

Cooley vs Smith

Cooley:​
USHL: 24 games and 36 points (1.50 ppg)​
USDP: 51 games and 75 points (1.47 ppg)​
Smith:​
USHL: 16 games and 33 points (2.06 ppg)​
USDP: 48 games and 95 points (1.98 ppg)​

Cooley was selected 3rd overall last year and Smith is clearly out producing Cooley. It's odd thinking that there's only value in the top-4 in this year draft with (in alphabetical order) Bedard, Carlsson, Fantilli, and Michkov.

Wright vs Benson

Wright, OHL: 63 games and 94 points (1.49 ppg)​
Benson, WHL: 60 games and 98 points (1.63 ppg)​

Guess Benson should/could be in the same tier with Wright.

------

This was a cool exercise to compare the two drafts. I've come away liking the top-6 more and more. There's less gloom if we don't stay in the top-4. If we end up with either Smith or Benson, then they'll probably be our top forward prospect immediately and could be our top overall prospect in our system.

Landing any of the top-6 forwards in this draft will lessen passing up on top-6 potentials of Snuggerud or Kulich in last year's draft. Nothing wrong with Gaucher, but our team needed top-6 forward talent in our system. Landing one this year makes Gaucher a genius move because we are missing that physical tenacity in our NHL lineup.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ya in that case…

In no order within the tiers:

Bedard
——
Fantilli
Michkov
——-
Carlsson
Slaf
Smith
Cooley
Wright
——
Jiricek
Nemec
Benson
I agree with this but I think Smith would go ahead of Slaf

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
IMO Carlsson is in the same tier as Fantilli. What he is doing in the SHL is special and what we are lacking in the team.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
IMO Carlsson is in the same tier as Fantilli. What he is doing in the SHL is special and what we are lacking in the team.

Carlsson's scouting report reminds me a lot of McTavish b/c of all of the subtle things he does that helps with either puck possession, defense, not afraid of going to the net, and puck manipulation that doesn't get logged onto the score sheet.

Reactions: goonsaredumb

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Carlsson's scouting report reminds me a lot of McTavish b/c of all of the subtle things he does that helps with either puck possession, defense, not afraid of going to the net, and puck manipulation that doesn't get logged onto the score sheet.
I think Carlsson has the potential to be the most well-rounded player in the entire draft, Fantilli is right there with him though in that regard at least IMO

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think Carlsson has the potential to be the most well-rounded player in the entire draft, Fantilli is right there with him though in that regard at least IMO

Carlsson might acclimate faster b/c his defense is ahead of most players. Again, similar to Mac, which he does get praises from coaches for his play.

The most unknown thing about Carlsson is his offensive ceiling. Because he's often pushed up in level of competition, Carlsson hasn't had a long run at developing his offense against his own peer age. What he's doing this year in the SHL is impressive and that offensive ceiling might be higher than what's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad