Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If we walk away from the draft with one of bedard, michov or fantilli I will be pumped. I need someone to talk me into Carlsson as my guy tells me that’s who we end up with.

There's plenty to like about Carlsson. He knows how to play a 200 ft game against men as well as knows so many subtleties of the game that we like about McTavish. Here's a Mar 5, 2023 scouting report by the Hockey Writers: link.

Here's a snapshot of under-19 years old in the SHL that I took today, Mar 10, 2023.

Carlsson, U19 SHL (Mar 10, 2023).png

Those players without a team implies they haven't been drafted. Kasper was drafted 8th overall in last year's draft, an April birth month. Bystedt went 27th overall in last year's draft and turned 19 years old in Feb. Carlsson turned 18 in Dec.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with drafting Carlsson in the top-3/4. He's also the biggest out of Bedard, Michkov, and Fantilli at 6'3 and 194 lbs. Carlsson may only need a year extra in the SHL before coming over, honing skills with a top team in the SHL.

Reactions: lwvs84

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I’m just butthurt, I love Gibby but now he has to spend the rest of his career with us if he spoils the tank
Nah, he’s only going to play well now and crap the bed early next season when he sees Verbeeks defensive lineup of a bunch of Priskies and Sustrs for entire 23/24 season. Especially after hearing Verbeeks interview of “never trading his #1 goalie since there so difficult to find.”

He will play so bad that no team would want him and force Verbeek to buy out his contract like we did Perry.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Gibson doesn’t want us to draft anyone good and he won’t even help us win a Cup either. This sucks. Fck.

Gibson did help land Zegras, Drysdale, top-3 rounds of the 2021 draft class (we get the top pick in each round - McTavish, Zellweger, and Pastujov), and Mintyukov.

We're currently the 4th worst team in the league. There's a case for a good top-6:

Bedard
--- tier 2 ---
Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson
--- tier 3 ---
Benson, Will Smith (not the slapper)

Reactions: HunterDuck

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
If the Ducks drop out of top 5, then they could consider taking Reinbacher. Big and mobile RD could be what that defense needs in the future.

Reactions: Kalv

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I understand drafting for need is stupid and I’m not advocating for it, but man, we are so organizationally weak at the wing position right now. Outside of Terry there is just nothing to get excited about there.

This draft is a golden opportunity to change that potentially

It feels like our defense is going to work itself out in the next 2 years and we’re okay down the middle(although I definitely want another skilled center prospect)

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Will Smith is my guy outside of the top 4. He has everything you want in a forward

Will have a lot of fun with those memes lol

In all seriousness, this draft is stacked. Top 3 of course is ideal but picking 4th or 5th will still get a player who is projected to be better than all of our current kids. So yeah. Good stuff .

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I’m cool landing Carlsson if we can even get to 3rd at this point. I think his transition to the NHL will be the smoothest since he’s already playing against men in his league.
As we're falling off the top (or, you know, climbing up from the last place :laugh:), picking 3rd seems very unlikely as of now because SJ, CHI and CBJ are at their own level of suck this year, and given they keep doing that, we will probably not be in that trio. Which means much more likely we'll be 4,5, or 6... which means we can either pick 1st, 2nd, 4th (only if we finish 4th worst), 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, but not 3rd.

1678638147020.png

Edit: ofc Carlsson might fall to 4th as well, depending on how teams view Mitchkov. Damn, I hope Arizona and Montreal start winning more :laugh:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As we're falling off the top (or, you know, climbing up from the last place :laugh:), picking 3rd seems very unlikely because SJ, CHI and CBJ are at their own level of suck this year, and given they keep doing that, we will probably not be in that trio. Which means much more likely we'll be 4,5, or 6... which means we can either pick 1st, 2nd, 4th (only if we finish 4th worst), 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th.

View attachment 667750

I think the only way to get Carlsson is if someone takes Michkov at 3rd, and Carlsson falls to 4th, and we don’t move down.

We could also end up 3rd last in the league and don’t fall or fall one spot and same scenario as before. Michkov apparently is right behind Bedard in regards to skill and potential, from what I’ve read.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think the only way to get Carlsson is if someone takes Michkov at 3rd, and Carlsson falls to 4th, and we don’t move down.

We could also end up 3rd last in the league and don’t fall or fall one spot and same scenario as before. Michkov apparently is right behind Bedard in regards to skill and potential, from what I’ve read.
Yep, agreed.

Personally I'm not holding my breath for that top3 pick, unless we win 1st or 2nd in the lottery :laugh:

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yep, agreed.

Personally I'm not holding my breath for that top3 pick, unless we win 1st or 2nd in the lottery :laugh:

Yeah, like I’ve said in the tank thread won’t root for us to lose, will just hope other teams win and jump us, but at the same time, I like how this team team is battling, good for our current kids. But I look at the bigger picture and we really need at worst a Top 5 pick in this draft, Top 3 would be ideal of course but that means dead last to guarantee that, and that’s not happening.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah, like I’ve said in the tank thread won’t root for us to lose, will just hope other teams win and jump us, but at the same time, I like how this team team is battling, good for our current kids. But I look at the bigger picture and we really need at worst a Top 5 pick in this draft, Top 3 would be ideal of course but that means dead last to guarantee that, and that’s not happening.

We are practically set with our top-2 centers with Zegras and McTavish. McTavish solidified his top-6C position this year as he's passed up Getz' production last year. Getz had 37 points and -14 in 56 games; McTavish has 38 points in 65 games and still healthy enough to play an additional 16 games (despite hitting the rookie wall around game 50). We're still trying to find consistency with our 3C with Lundy, but there's Gaucher in the pipeline. We are ahead of most rebuild teams as we're already built down the middle. We also have a 1RW in Terry. Anaheim's top-6 is that far ahead of several rebuild teams.

Any top-6 pick forward in this year's draft is going to be our best forward prospect instantly. Hell, any top-10 pick forward will probably be the best forward prospect instantly.

Big picture is the differences between last year's team to start the year and this year's team is the defense with physicality, physicality, and a true PP coach. What both teams lack is talent depth.

A top-6 pick won't change our void on defense. A top-6 pick doesn't possess the talent to be defensively conscious until around 5 years after his draft year. Lundy was heralded as the most defensive minded forward in the draft that was NHL-ready and we're still waiting for him to be consistent five years later. Zegras is still learning how to play defense in his third pro season. McTavish is still learning the ropes in his first year as a pro, but further ahead of Zegras.

Anaheim has been playing with one top-4D all season in Fowler. That's it. We're just going to have to be patient on our blueline prospects to matriculate to the NHL level and mature, including Drysdale, who we lost for the season. While we don't have a #1D in our pipeline, we do have a potential surplus of 2nd pairing D to fill all six spots at the NHL level and a few more (especially if we're able to sign RD Moore) in the AHL level developing.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah I’m not as concerned with the Forward group we already have Zegras, McTavish, Terry, and Lundy here, then add hopefully a Top 5 pick to this draft, maybe bring in some prospects from SD that can make the NHL. Have some vet support and can have a solid Top 6.

Our defense is the biggest issue now, and like you said, gotta be patient, but the future looks very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad